History Help(nation of islam)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Patmian212, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Apr 11, 2004
    Hey Guys,

I am writing an essay on how the nation of islam effected the black power movement. . . I have all my facts written but I am having trouble determining if the nation of islam had a positive or negative effect on the black power/liberation movment. . . This part is mostly based on opinion so I would like to hear some of yours. . . Why do you think they had a positive or negative effect?

Thanks for the help guys
  2. BoyBach macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2006

Isn't that cheating? :D ;)
  3. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Apr 11, 2004
    Well sort of. The essay works like this:
    Part A: Plan(done)
    Part B: Summary of Evidence(done)
    Part C: Investigation of 2 historical sources done(done)
    Part D: Analysis, where I finally make my verdict if it was good or bad(incomplete)

So as stupid as it sounds most of the essay isnt based on the original question because my professor has a messed up idea of how he wants it to be structred, so you guys are only really helping on 1 part. . . I'm just really torn and dont understand the subject enough to back my opinions, so I wanted to hear what you guys had to say so I wouldnt come off as ignorant in the essay. . .But yeah its sorta cheating:D
  4. JBazz macrumors 6502

Apr 14, 2006
    I am gonna step lightly on this one. But before I do, why is someone in Madrid doing a paper on NOI? Just curious.

NOI has had a good impact on black neighborhoods and to an extent, black power movement. It has had a less than positive affect on Islam as a whole, IMHO.

There is no disputing its positive affects on black families and black people who adhere to their dogma of self sufficiency. They have been successful in extracting many people who were living a self distructive lifestyle and turning them into a very positive influence in their homes and neighborhoods.

Their influence on the BPM has been a little tainted by some of their stronger rhetoric. A lot of black power people are viewed as racists because of some of the things that came out of NOI (like their theory on white people being created in a lab by an evil scientist).

As a whole, I view them as being a very positive influence in their communites for their people. But, as a Muslimah, I am concerned anytime Islamic doctrine is reinterpreted to the extent that NOI has done.
  5. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Apr 11, 2004
    I got to an international school, this subject is part of our american history unit. I am american/italian by the way:D
  6. RufusSwan macrumors newbie

Jan 15, 2007
    near Branson, MO

You're not doing anything wrong, it's called 'background research'.

I graduated high school in 1968 and had the privilege as a white individual to "attend" the civil rights movement, Vietnam war, '68 DNC riots, hippydom, free love, ya da ya da ya da.

I think it would be a mistake to assume that NOI must fall on only one side of the fence. From what I saw, much of their influence may have been good, right, and sometimes proper. It had panache because it was 'new and different', it was 'foreign'.

It also had a serious "separate but equal" feel to it that I personally did not like. A little too edgy for my taste, but I got the same feel from the Weathermen also. However, someone needs to have the extra sharpness of edge to carve new social awareness. Groups such as NOI and the Weatherman provided the bloody edge. Made good press coverage.

All these many years later, I personally can't think they have made any great contribution to anything, except perhaps to assist the idiot Micheal Jackson. ;)

7. Leareth macrumors 68000

Nov 11, 2004
    I think overall it has been bad.

Read the official platform of beliefs

"We believe this is the time in history for the separation of the so-called Negroes and the so-called white Americans"

It also teached that blacks were the original humans and will be the first ressurected. Also preach that black are genetically superior to others...

Actually I think it is both good and bad, there have been positive outcomes from very negative policies and ideas.