Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
Can anyone explain this to me or know where I can bring myself up to date on the past history of Apple?

http://www.theregister.com/content/35/35380.html

Skip through the mish mash about the advertisemtn and the last quote from someone who wrote in:

Maybe it's time to let Jobs go be a rock star - somewhere else - and let Ivy run the company that, quite frankly, _HE_ deserves credit for reviving.

Perry Longinotti
Who is Ivy and what's the point here?

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
Jonathan Ive is Apple's head designer. He's (and his team) the one that design's all of Apple's products.

This guy is saying that Ive saved the company, and not Jobs, because Ive was the one who designed the iMac.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Re: History of Apple Corporate

Originally posted by tomf87
Who is Ivy and what's the point here?

Well it is the Register, so it's probably a diminutive for Jonathan Ive.

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
Re: Re: History of Apple Corporate

Originally posted by iMeowbot
Well it is the Register, so it's probably a diminutive for Jonathan Ive.

Well, I take it all as a grain of salt as you can't just read one source of information and take it as the ultimate truth.

The quote above was actually from a reader. Thanks for the replies!

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Originally posted by RBMaraman
Jonathan Ive is Apple's head designer. He's (and his team) the one that design's all of Apple's products.

This guy is saying that Ive saved the company, and not Jobs, because Ive was the one who designed the iMac.
to be more specific he's the vp of industrial design at apple...and without jobs, ive wouldnt have been able to do it. So they needed each other.
splash2.gif

theres him on the left...

if you want to learn about the history of Apple, check out Owen Linzmayer's Apple Confidential. I think there's a 2.0 out which is the definitive history, but the original 1.0 is cool too. Also, the Second Coming of Steve Jobs is cool too.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
how far you want to go back? like the time Apple civilized part of the desert and had a huge rock fest? if you want the good early stuff, pre1976-1985 or so, check out The Little Kingdom: The Private Story of Apple Computer by Michael Morris. It stops in the mid 80s but covers the first decade, as well as the biographies of the founding members, better than any book I've read.

paul

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Jobs is still the barrier that any designer has to pass in order to get a design approved, as it is with any corporation -- the head and/or board of directors must "like" it.

And Jobs has always had quite a bit of input into design decisions -- some would say too much in computer past, that actually hampered the machine's functionality and created enourmous cost over runs.

Such as fans in computers and the material/color of the NeXT case. The first created obvious problems, while the second created the silly money situation due to the material and the "specific" color he wanted.

But this isn't the first time nitpicky design issues created problems across a variety of enterprises, you'll find many such examples that created problems/enourmous costs everywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.