Hitachi 160Gb Drive for Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Sequence, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Sequence macrumors member

Hey guys, I currently have a 2.0Ghz Macbook with 2Gb of Ram... I have the standard 60Gb hd. I just bought the new Hitachi Travelstar 160Gb with Perpendicular Recording SATA on eBay. I'm just wondering if anyone here bought one? Is the performance good for a 5400rpm drive (better than non-Perpendicular) / Any problems with it?
    Thanks all!

2. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

3. codo macrumors 6502

Do you have a link to the product page? Data transfer rate, I believe, is one of the numbers to look out for. I think the norm is about 150mbps for these types of hard drives.

4. Sequence thread starter macrumors member

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The only person I've seen on the forums who's installed the 5K160 SATA (it just came out in the last week or two and is still tough to find) is ShadowStar, as detailed in this post. You might want to PM him to see what his experiences have been in the last couple of days.

6. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

7. Sequence thread starter macrumors member

Last week it was near impossible to find one but this week, they're much more available... I think they're even on NewEgg.

They're really worth it I think... 160Gb for 279$ VS 100Gb for 200$ & +

8. Sequence thread starter macrumors member

Was that sarcastic? What you mean 65 MB/sec "off the media"?

9. vv-tim macrumors 6502

The drive should perform better than most 5400 rpm drives, but isn't up to speed with the latest 7200 rpm drives.

10. Altimeter88 macrumors member

I just got my 5K160 installed and working great in my MacBookPro. It is kind of a pain to install it but macsales.com has a video tutorial that shows you exactly how to tear apart your MBP to replace it. It is nice having almost 80GB for both Windows and OSX. I was almost full on both partitions with my 100gb 7200 RPM drive that I replaced. I don't notice any slowdowns on this new drive and I have an external 500GB eSATA drive for my scratch disk for FinalCutStudio anyway so this new drive is great. I guess I will throw up my other drive on eBay to sell.

11. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

No, I just thought that the data rate was very respectable for a laptop drive. "Off the media" means the data rate at the read/write heads of the drive. You may not actually get that data rate through the interface, depending on the drive, interface and processor.