Hitachi's New Technology allows for 10x more HD Storage

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by dotdotdot, Apr 6, 2005.

1. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005

SO, while the above link is pretty funny, yet stupid, it is also informative... posted this...

Hitachi claims that a 6 GB MP3 Player (6 GB HD) would be able to hold 30,000 songs (obviously at a lower bitrate than an iPod, but still...) by getting the data to "stand upright" allowing more data to fit on a hard drive... just that makes it sound like it will be a slow drive, BUT imagine a 6 GB HD turning into a 200 GB HD... And the new "breed of hard drives" which goes up to 400 GB, over 3 TB...

Click to watch Hitachi's "Get Perpendicular" Flash animation!

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Oh great! Thanks for the link. Now that song "Get Perpendicular" is stuck in my head! :mad: :p
  3. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    not to be the repost police, but this is on the front page...
    still, quite awesome. i still don't get how it reads the stuff if it's perpendicular? :confused:
  4. jamdr macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    That was one of the most awesome things I've seen in a while. It sounds good, but I would like to know more technical details, like how the disk can be read when the data is perpendicular. From the top, wouldn't everything look the same?
  5. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

Oct 24, 2002
    The West Loop

If you thought that animation was funny outside these walls, I have to tell you most people I've talked to here at Hitachi are asking if we're "The Electric Company" now.

"I'm just a bill, a lonlely 'ol bill, sitting on Capitol Hill..."