Hitchhiking

Discussion in 'Community' started by Doctor Q, Jul 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Does anybody here hitchhike? Did you ever?

Do you ever pick up hitchhikers?

I've hitched a ride only a couple of times, with no ill effects, but I don't think I'd do so anymore. Since I rely on relatives when my car is in the shop and use public transportation, taxis, or a rental car when I'm traveling, the need never comes up. Hitchhiking just isn't an adventure I'd choose any more. And with cell phones, people rarely need a ride to the nearest phone booth anymore.

How 'bout you?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I wouldn't dream of it. No idea why because it's not hugely unsafe but still, there've been a few murders round these parts in the last few years with hitchhikers involved.

3. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I hitched a ride once back in my High School Daze. That was over 25 years ago. I can't imagine taking that risk these days. You never know who might pick you up.

I've never picked up a hitcher, although I was tempted once. ;)

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Assuming you look a bit like your 'tar powermac666, I doubt many people would be all that willing to pick you up. No offence, of course.

Mind you, with the same assumptions, I probably wouldn't get too far either... :(

5. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

6. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I don't think I'll ever hitchhike.
    It scares the living googly outta me.

I'm mostly scared of who would actually pull over to pick me up... Whenever I have to walk anywhere, creepy guys are always honking and hanging out the window, "HEY BABY! YOU WANT A RIIIIDEEEE?" then smile at me with their nicotine-stained, 4-teeth-left grin.
    But that's another rant.

Hitchhiking = scary. Not for Kt!

7. spacefreak4 macrumors member

I can't hitchhike: my thumb doesn't bend properly. :(

8. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Never hitchhiked, but did pick up a female hitchhiker once. Drove from Edmonton to Vancouver, BC. Seems a lot of people from the east are heading to the west coast.

Why did I pick her up? a) it was getting dark and b) at least I know she won't be picked up by bad people.

Yeah, there's a joke in there somewhere. ;)

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Promise you won't tell my parents?

One "day" (at about 1:45 am) I drove past a gas station on my way home and I saw this scruffy looking man on a pay phone w/ a leg in a plaster cast leaning on his crutches all while sticking his thumb out.

I drove past like the good little girl I was brought up to be, but then my conscience perked up. Maybe the guy ran into a rough patch and just honestly needed a short ride. I quickly made a u-turn and pulled into the gas station, cracked my window a centimeter open and asked him where he was headed. He only needed to head down that same road I was, w/ a distance less than a mile. So I called my boyfriend, told him exactly where I was, the description of the guy, and where exactly I would drop him off, and exactly how many minutes he should wait before calling the cops (I am a really paranoid person). Then I made the guy place his crutches in the trunk and sit in the back seat.

So we're heading down the road (and I'm starting to think about the next morning's news reports, "Silly girl found dead after picking up a strange man early in the morning) and we get to the point that we had agreed to separate at... but the guy refused to get outta my car. He begged me to just take him down a side road.

I freaked and said no way and that I would call the cops if he didn't get out... I almost drove off w/ his crutches, too. Whew. But everything turned out ok in the end.

Shudder. I won't be doing that anytime soon.

10. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Wow, devilot76 close encounter. Glad to hear that you learned your lesson and were not harmed.

BTW I won't tell your parents about your little adventure. ;)

11. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Speaking of hitchhiking, can anyone else think of an English word with two "h"s in a row? I think "hitchhiking" might be the only one.

12. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Doubt I would hitchhike nowadays, but if I was really desperate...I still wouldn't do it. I'll walk thank you very much... :rolleyes:

13. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Same here. I would most certainly walk instead of hitchhiking.
    Besides, I could always use the exercise ;)

14. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Me and a friend did it once, and I was scared to death. This one tatted up, stacked, bald headed mexican guy picks us up in his truck. I was about to say we don't need a ride, but my buddy hopped in. The guy had a deep, scary ass voice too. Hes like "where you goin". But he turned out to be cool. We thanked him, and that was it.

15. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Sounded kinda scary, glad that the driver was nice to you & your friend.

16. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'll withhold judgment on that until I'm back from the bathhouse with my roughhewn friends from my youthhood. Since you were just trying to bait me with a fishhook, I'm sorry to be so highhanded about it. :D

By the way, my sleuthhounding consisted of typing grep hh /usr/share/dict/words in Terminal.

17. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Back in the late 90's or early 2000, I was driving my parents car from the public library at around 9pm. The car started to have problems with it's power and it finally wouldn't run. The driver behind me helped me push the car to the side of the road and had a quick look at the engine. He said that it could have been the alternator. He offered me a quick ride up to the nearest gas station, which was only about a mile away.

After I was dropped off at the station I thanked him and TRIED to call my parents, but they were on the phone. So, I had to call my best friends parents and they came to pick me up. That was the only time I ever hitchhiked (could that even be considered hitchhiking?) and I have never picked up any hitchhiker. Although, one time I was tempted ;)

18. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

And for those of us too lazy to do that...
    Some of those words I have never heard/seen/spoken before...

19. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

You, sir, are awesome!!

:)

I'll try to use all of them tomorrow.

I wonder what people will think of my new vocabulary!

20. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

My mom told us a story from when she was little. She was dared by a friend to hitchhike. She put out her thumb, a big truck pulled over, and she ran away. A short but funny story.

I remembering hitching a ride to the Volcano House on the big island of Hawaii from somewhere along the edge of the Halemaumau crater. It had started to rain and my long walk was going to become rather soggy. A nice man gave me a lift back to the hotel. I don't like to stereotype, but people in Hawaii always strike me as more friendly than average, which made me more comfortable about the prospect of hitching.

21. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Well, I sorta was a hitchhiker once 10 years ago.

I decided to have a little road trip. I had to go to Denver for a wedding. After the wedding I decided I would go to Cheyenne, Wyoming. I was in the middle of no where when my XJ6, and developed a transmission problem. For some reason the car would not get out of 1st and eventually stopped working all together. So I was in the middle of no where, in hot weather, with a broken car. Of course no cell phone service, especially back then.

So this guy comes eventually along in this old Ford pickup and picks me up and he takes me to the nearest gas station about a half an hour away driving 70mph. His name was Bill, he was a pretty big man, I'm guessing 6'2" and 250lbs. He worked on a farm in the area and he was pretty scruffy looking. I was unsure about going with him but I figured I didn't want to wait another hour for someone else to find me.

To end the story Bill dropped me off at the nearest gas station (20 miles away). I had to get my car towed to the nearest jaguar dealership- I laugh just thinking about how the nearest one was like 3 hours away.

Quite an adventure!
    I was pretty much broken down somewhere that looked like this (except the road was 1 lane)

[​IMG]

22. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    wow, i haven't thought about hitchin' in ages.

i was too young in the 70's to do it but my older brother hitched everywhere...it really was an alternate form of transportation back then. he used to hitch from dallas to tulsa to see his girlfriend. i used to p/u hitchers in the early 80's ( if they looked safe) but i got tired of every one of them hitting me up for money...

no way would i p/u someone these days.

23. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

if any of you have seen that episode of Six Feet Under where David picks up a "friendly looking guy" who needed help, you might think twice. that was a bone tingling episode and I will never lend a hand after seeing that. I have no trust in people and even the [apparently] weak and stupid can be dangerous in their own right.
    I've heard of a young girl robbing people with this, hitching a ride and holding them up at gun point.

there are other ways to help people than letting them into your car (or you getting into theirs)

just my $.02

24. doumbek macrumors member

I haven't done it in a while, but I am not adverse to the notion.

I've hitched a few rides as well as picked up a few. All I can say is if you are scared, then don't do it. But if you go with the flow you can still have some pretty good adventures. In fact the last time I picked up some hitch hikers I wound up going to a concert and almost got arrested. Man that was a while ago.

Anyways it doesn't hurt to look like a crazed lunatic when your picking up strange people off of US 1. I guess the more you look like a biker the less people try to mess with you. :D

I think the only reason I'm probably more apt to hitch or pick up a hitch hiker is because: 1) I've lived in way too many places, and 2) I grew up when people could still hitch a ride, and finally 3) what's the worst that can happen, I was supposed to be dead years ago.

Oh well, don't give up on your fellow man. Someday your car might break down, or you might be in a bind and some freaky looking person just might give you a ride, and that person just might be me.

Anyways, just let your gut feelings guide you. If you feel something is wrong, then just follow your instincts and beat feet out of the situation. But as for me, every once in a while I like to test my faith in my fellow man.

25. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I did it sometimes, long time ago, pretty risky but funny, i won't do it nowadays, the last time I only needed 2 miles but the woman was drunk :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.