Hitler's autobiography bestseller in Turkey

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jamdr, Apr 28, 2005.

1. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

This is disgusting.

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I think this would be an interesting read. I'd love to get inside the head of one of the world's most disgusting and brutal men. It boggles my mind of what makes a person like this tick.

3. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

I'd read it if I had the chance just because it is such a historic book.

4. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

yeah that would be a very interesting little piece.

5. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

people like history, and hitler is one of the most interresting people of all time. to be able to get inside his head and realize the mentality he had behind his horrific decisions gives people a whole new perspective on the war. just because people are interested in history doesn't mean and anti-semetic thing on the rise. there is a lot more to Mein Kampf then just persecution of jews and the dominance of the Aryans. if only people had read it BEFORE the war....

6. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Wanna get out of jury duty?

Bring a copy with you and sit and read it, let the lawyers see ya, you're home by lunch.

7. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

HAHA! nice, but what is the problem, if your seen reading it why must you automatically be considered anti-semetic? its just another goddamn book! HISTORY BOOK!!!! I HATE MODERN SOCIETY

8. Nanda Devi macrumors regular

I'm sure Mein Kampf is probably a fascinating book, I've actually always planned to read it. Doesn't make me an anti-semite by any means - as everyone's said, it's history for god's sake.

Anyone read Rise and Fall of the Third Reich? It's about 1,500 pages and it's an absolutely definitive account of WWII and the rise and fall of Nazi Germany. My boyfriend read it a couple years ago and said it was incredible - read that book and you will know everything you need to know about that period of history.

I also highly recommend the recently-released documentary about the final days of Hitler's life, before he (and a startlingly large number of his entourage) committed suicide. It's called Downfall, and it's one of the best films I've ever seen in my life. To avoid books and films like these just because the subject is Hitler or Nazis is absurd - it's not as if people refuse to read books or watch films about slavery because it would make them racist...

9. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Back in the day, this book was presented to married couples (in Germany) as a wedding gift. It replaced the bible as the book one always had within reach.

Hitler penned it when he was in prison for the failed "putsch" back in the 20s. It didn't sell until he took over in '33 and then sales skyrocketed. He had finagled some kind of agreement with the original publisher that his cut would grow each year. As a result, he was a millionaire when he came to power.

I highly recommend the new film Downfall if you want some insight on the absolute madness of the reich and its last days. Another "op" is Leni Riefenstahl's 1932 documentary on The Nuremberg Rally called "Triumph of the Will." This is especially frightening when you see the streets lined with tens of thousands of Germans cheering him on as he drives by.

I've seen Downfall twice so I guess I'm an anti-semite like the Turks reading his book. :rolleyes:

Guess that makes every visitor to Mt. Rushmore anti-native american. Especially with Pine Ridge (a depressing hole) only a stones throw away.

Rubbish. One cannot deny history, only learn from it.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

im a history minor, and this book is def. interesting, what many people dont know is that there is a second book by Hitler that he never published or named

you can find it easily enough, its published by enigma books and is called Hitler's Second Book and is editied by Gerhard L. Weinberg

ive been meaning to read it for some time, but would prefer to have read Mein Kampf by then.....

11. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

We read part of Mein Kampf for school in grade 7. Although some of his thoughts are sick, it is interesting to learn what he was thinking.

12. mac-er macrumors 65816

Hmmm...I wonder why the Turks are reading it?

Could have anything to do with the part where Hitler wants to exterminate Jews? Hmmmm....What could be their favorite part of the book?

Sick.

13. mac-er macrumors 65816

By the way, who gets the royalties on the book??

14. mac-er macrumors 65816

I saw a special on the History Channel about this book.

I believe in this book, he talks about his plans for invading and conquering the U.S. after he as dominated Europe.

The documentary also said he really admired the U.S. for the way blacks were treated during this time in the US (he liked how the government treated them as second class citizens).

Going off of memory...but I also believe he talked about overtaking Japan too in his second book.

15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yes those are all the main topics in the second book, written in 1928 or should i say he had it dictated, but i do wonder why he never published it

16. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I had to laugh too.

The problem is that we as a nation are becoming too PC (politically correct). We seem to have lost sight of the old saying that if we fail to learn from the past, we are doomed to repeat it.

17. kevinuaa macrumors member

turkey ain't so bad.

Interestingly enough Turkey has the best relations with Israel of any muslim nation. What's more, it is probably more tolerant of jews than France.

18. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I agree, France is definately way more anti-semetic than Turkey.

19. takao macrumors 68040

takao

except the US and UK, there are other copyright holders (who bought them before the war...)
    just a few weeks ago Bavaria shut down illegal publishing in poland
    i wonder how long it will take untill they are shut down(if it's uncommented versions)

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It must be said that the Turks have been rather partial to Final Solutions themselves, on occasion: the Armenians, Greeks and Kurds spring to mind.

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I think you've answered your owned question. The First Amendment isn't "rot" (or even weiss or blau). It's the cornerstone of the Constitution and it can't be sidelined even temporarily in order to help our friends abroad control their unruly citizens. That's their responsibility.

22. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Yes. A long time ago when I was a student and stuck at home ill with glandular fever and nothing to read except some 'old' books on my dad's bookshelf.

I remember how surprised I was by how interesting it was and how the interweaving of personal narrative and historical analysis towards the end of the book really vividly conveyed what it must have been like at the time.

The author was a Berlin-based radio or newspaper reporter/correspondent, IIRC.

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

But if the principle of Freedom of Speech is sacrosanct to someone, why would you expect them to compromise on your behalf?

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm not defending any actions of my government (which really doesn't feel like "my government" at all these days). I am simply explaining how the US Constitution protects the rights of everyone, even complete idiots, to speak their piece; which I guess is why so many of them do.

25. takao macrumors 68040

takao

when germans are selling nazi items online (to german adresses only) through an online-store in german hosted on a US server , do you know it is impossible for german authorities to enforce the law (which the germans obviously are breaking) because US ISPs/server hosting companies refuse to shut down those ? and an online store isn't exactly 'free speech'

imagine americans having a homepage on a german server where they are selling something illegal to other US citizens only and companies would simply refuse to take them down ...