HL2 Mac not anytime soon

Discussion in 'Games' started by applekid, Jul 15, 2004.

1. applekid macrumors 68020

Some bad news:

The last paragraph is the most important though. Don't count it out just yet. The Mac publisher would be unwilling to take the risk just yet with the kinds of machines we have right now. Based on the article, I would suspect a usual porting project would cost a few hundreds of thousands of dollars to get the rights. Sounds like Valve/Sierra are being a--holes again, this time by demanding a high price (think over a million dollars, very high for a port).

Remember, BF1942 was sure to not come out because Dice was so uptight about its code. Aspyr finally got the rights and we got BF1942. I am very sure once we have more Macs that are gaming capable (like, say, a few G5 iMacs), the publisher will take the risk then or work something out by then.

Alright, bring on the doom-sayers and pessimists.

2. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

who gives a crap? the makers of Half Life are a bunch of uptight pricks who know their product is the highly anticipated, and they know they are going to drop the ball on this product. the source code was stolen so they delayed the game, just so they could re-write the stolen portion, not make a better game. they are more concerned about their bottom line and profits than they are about their customer, the game experience, or the gaming community. let them rot. long live id and blizzard, two well known gaming companies who support ALL platforms, themselves.

3. applekid thread starter macrumors 68020

Honestly, I've been following Doom 3 more closely than HL2 after the first E3 video. HL2 looked great that once, and that was it.

The only reason I kept talking about HL2 is because: a) there's plenty of other Mac gamers that are interested and b) I wanted to make everyone happy. :)

It would be a milestone if HL2 was released, and it's more important as a moral victory than just having the game.

4. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

i agree on the Moral Victory point. I'm not going to buy Doom 3 for my Mac, because I know it will run ugly on a 5200go. The fact it IS BEING RELEASED for OS X has me excited, and means I may not have to buy a PC gaming rig when it comes time to decide on a Rev. C G5.

I'd love HL2 to be a OS X RELEASE (not port) but I personally would rather have a game like Warhammer 40k Dawn Of War, than yet another FPS on graphic steroids. I never even liked Half Life, so I could care less about HL2, but the more Mac developers and AAA games, the better.

People need to concentrate less on wowing you with graphics and upping the game play. I still prefer the older generations of Nintendo to any of the new stuff (i own as many consoles as I do games almost, it's sad really).

If nintendo really wants to save themselves, they should scrap that POS Gameboy DS and release Nintendo, SNES, and N64 for PC and OS X.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

6. applekid thread starter macrumors 68020

I agree with a lot of what you said. Gameplay is much more important to me than the same repetitive shooters on the Mac and PC with fancy graphics.

As for your DS comments, Nintendo would say that's not their bread and butter. They differentiate video games from computers games, so they would never give into such a combination.

The DS has much more potential for new gameplay elements with the touchscreen. Very important in my opinion. If you compare it to Sony, Sony is the one trying to wow people with graphics with the PSP. The PSP is superior as far as horsepower goes, but will it have fun games.

Look at me, I'm sending this thread OT! :rolleyes: Nintendo and Sony are whole different topics from HL2 , so let's move away from it in this thread. :)

7. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Nintendo has always done well in the portable department. Even forced Sega to discontinue such wonders as the GameGear and NOMAD.

Anyhoo, HL1 wasn't for the Mac and I don't see any use for a sequel to come out on a platform where the first one didn't exist. I'd rather see an HL1 port.