Hlp Can't Boot Up My Mac!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by tomG4, Dec 31, 2003.

1. tomG4 macrumors newbie

Last week I posted a message that my Mac wouldn't boot up and I got this message:
    From path:"/pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-4@1f000/disk@0:5,\mach kernel",
    waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOPath Match</key><string ID="1">IODeviceTree:/pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-4@1f000/@0:5</string></dict>
    Still waiting for root device

Since then, I tried reinstralling both OS 9 & X but they both just freeze on boot. In OS 9 I get the welcome to OS 9.2 screen and that's where it freezes. On OS X the Mac freezes on the gray screen with the apple and the swirling icon. The icon swirls for a while and then it just freezes. I bought a new hardrive thinking that could be the problem but no luck. I get the exact same results. Can anyone help me? What should I check? I'm at a complete loss, I don't know what else to do.
    PLEASE HELP!

2. BillClinton macrumors member

Try fsck, when you reboot, hold the command and s keys. After you get to the black screen type in fsck -y, if your running panther type fsck -y -f. this should tell you if there is anything wrong with your hard drive. It's the only thing, I can think of to do. Sorry for your problems.

3. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

I'd hate to think it, but could it also be the I/O controller for the drive? If you swapped to a new HD and it's still pulling the same thing, that sounds to me like there's an error somewhere in the control systems.

Can you boot from external drives? If you don't have one, but have firewire and a friend with an iPod, see if they'll let you borrow it and try to boot.

4. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Its probably your logic board unfortunately. Its not the HD, hopefully you have AppleCare or its gonna cost $700 at least. The HD controller is on the logic board so if it blew the whole board is probably toast now. Good luck.

5. tomG4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there a way to tell if the logic board is toast?
    Unfortunately I don't have an external drive or know anyone that has:(
    Is it time to bring the Mac to a shop?
    F**K, what a way to start the new year.:mad:

6. claytonbench macrumors member

HDD

I have had this happen a few times before. Every time it was the hard drive. Just wanted to help some. If you dont mind, let us know what it ends up being.

Clayton Bemch
    claytonbench@macintoshcentral.com