*.hmap: not a directory

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by weilanddavid, Oct 22, 2006.

1. weilanddavid macrumors newbie

Something I did (?, it wasn't like this before) causes the following error to appear whenever I 'Build and Run' a C++ file (even the included 'Hello World' program) in XCode:

cc1plus: error: /Users/dbw/Desktop/test/build/test.build/Debug/test.build/test.hmap: not a directory

I've learned how to get around this (by deleting the test.hmap file and making a directory with this name). Although the program now runs it still gives me the error:

Unable to write to file /Users/dbw/Desktop/test/build/test.build/Debug/test.build/test.hmap (File “test.hmap” could not be saved in folder “test.build”.)

Many thanks for any advice, David
    OS X 10.4.8 (MacBook)
    XCode 2.4

2. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Check the project info Build tab (click on the project in Groups & Files, press command-i) and see if you added that *file* to any search path. You can just type .hmap into the search field in the Project Info window.

Search paths are just a list of folder names, you don't use any file names.

3. weilanddavid thread starter macrumors newbie

4. weilanddavid thread starter macrumors newbie

i uninstalled xcode
    $ sudo perl /Developer/Tools/uninstall-devtools.pl
    then downloaded and reinstalled.
    same problem. 'hello world' won't compile.
    cc1plus: error: /Users/dbw/foo/build/foo.build/Debug/foo.build/foo.hmap: not a directory

5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

In XCode, go to Build->Clean All Targets. After that's done, redo the build.

I get this problem occasionally, but doing that has fixed it every time for me.

6. weilanddavid thread starter macrumors newbie

I did that, tried again, and got the same error. It did undo my quickfix (i.e. changing the said hmap file to a directory, which just causes a warning, not a failure). Now it fails again.