Hmm. Are cheap shots what Fox calls "fair and balanced"?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

CBS News link

You just gotta love Fox. They are so full of PRBS (public relations bull****) that you'd swear their shows are filmed in ManureVision. Olbermann "imploding"? Clooney with a "string of failures"? Um, just a little wishful thinking going on there, don't ya think??

Not to mention pettiness, bitterness and anger. Can you imagine any self-respecting real news network acting this way? Of course, Fox isn't a real news network, it just plays one on TV. It's really a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Republican party.

And we all know how nice they are. :rolleyes:

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

if it weren't foxnews, i'd say it was unbelievable.

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Well, CNN and MSNBC aren't great. I mean, they aren't as bad as FOX, few are. Oh, wait, you said self-respecting. Well, that's different. :p

Seriously though, you're right. NPR and even most of what I read from AP is pretty good. Generally. Even if FOX was a liberal org, their tactics are awful, their "reporters" extremely biased (and often caught in at best being wrong, at worst an outright lie), I don't see how anyone can think they're anywhere close to "Fair and Balanced". Based on what I've seen on the other channels, you couldn't possibly call them as liberal and slanted as FOX is "conservative".

4. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Fox News has seen a ratings drop since the war in Iraq, They continuously say that their competetors ratings are decling when, in fact, the opposite is true. The "Fair and Balanced" gimmick has become laughable and obvious, and they're scared.

5. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I sift all news. CNN's Anderson Cooper is bright, articulate, passionate and fair, but I simply cannot understand why someone hasn't gotten him to stop the tick of "a......ah.....a...."s. I can't watch CNN 360° for that reason.

6. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

The camera girl wears a skimpy top.:eek:

7. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

At least that keeps him abreast.

8. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Or if we take xsedrinam's word for it: it keps him.. uh... abbuh... ah... buh.. whuwazisaying?;)

9. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

You say Fox is not a real news network. If not, then there are no real news networks left. They are all about ratings. This equals advertising revenue.

People like Olberman and O'Reilly provide their own view on issues and are not objective. They grandstand for their audience. Bigger audience means more money. Money is what makes things happen in this world. Nothing more.

I've always believed there is no real difference between Republicans and Democrats. They are both out for their own interests, not your's or mine. Neither party is nice. If you think differently, that is your perogative. But it also makes you incredibly naive.

10. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Billy-Boy aka Bill O' Reilly is on the verge of imploding not Olbermann :p

Olbermann is funnier than O'Reilly ... If you say nething "Olbermann" on O'Reilly show then the fox security team will be after your butt for that .. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

11. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Well said DZ/015!

12. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

13. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Ratings first, everything else second. Well spoken mr DZ. You know people on fox would argue "Oh, those are opinion shows, that doesn't count..." But if you watch the daytime news on any network for that matter, it's all just strait foward. I don't see much slander. Fox news always bashes other news networks, why? Ratings!!! duuuh.

There is a difference between Rep. and Dem. One is tells half lies and the other tells half truths :D

Makes me proud to be a supporter of 3rd party candidates and a little Libertarians thrown in the mix.

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

True, but for some reason I find myself more entertained by Keith even when I disagree with him than Bill when I agree with him. Maybe it's the sports background, Olberman makes it seem more like ESPN than M$NBC. With O'Reilly, I just can't stand how smug he is and how many things he gets wrong on a regular basis. Then continues to defend them even after proven wrong. Ironic that someone like Joe Scarborough has admitted to being wrong and can even be balanced about some things seeing as how he used to be Republican Congressman.

Not that I watch any of those on a regular basis, and I completely agree with the rest.

15. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

I don't enjoy Olberman as much as O'Reilly, when I bother to watch that is. I really enjoy the Hannity/Colmes train wreck for pure entertainment. Those guys crack me up most of the time.

Viva la Libertarian, KingYaba! All of my votes go to them when available. Otherwise I abstain from giving my vote to a Rep or Dem. Neither of them will ever receive my support.

16. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

We've discussed the idea that there is no difference between the Dems and the Reps ad nauseam here and dismissed it. You may believe otherwise, but you should not be calling other people naive.

The closest thing we still have to real news is ABC, CBS and NBC, who are also subject to commercial influences but who at least aren't merely a propaganda arm of the government.

17. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

Why not vote based on the candidate?

18. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

This is one of those things that seem really weird to me as a Brit! A news agency that is more concerned with viewing figures rather than reporting the news? :confused:

Thank goodness for BBC News and Channel 4 news.

19. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

We Americans have a simple, two-word explanation for phenomena like this:

Money talks. :(

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'd say it's NPR and PBS, precisely because of the lack of commercial influences.

21. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

BBC News(along with the New York Times) is mentioned quite often on Fox News as an example of bad liberal media, "way out of the mainstream." I know because my dad thinks Fox News is the only good news station available and all others are too liberal. :rolleyes: I try to tell him how misguided he is but he's a ****ing moron(...we don't have a very good relationship).

22. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

But NPR is not free of political influences anymore. Last year, Congress decided that an opposite viewpoint needs to be presented to major news stories. You know,

"There were no weapons of mass destruction."
    "Yes there were, just a lack of evidence."

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

congress did not, in fact, decide such a thing. that was a political ploy by the neocon-influenced FCC. and it failed utterly.

i absolutely do not tolerate cries of NPR being "liberal media," because quite simply it is not. i am therefore issuing to you the NPR Challenge:

you are to spend one week listening to your local NPR member station, but only those programs produced by NPR (and not your member station) are eligible for the Challenge. this includes such programs as Morning Edition and All Things Considered.

you are to make a list of all liberal statements during the week. please notate on which show and the day and time from which your quotes come. at the end of the week, submit the list, and then we'll discuss it.

until this is done, i fully expect you will level no further "liberal NPR" statements. also, once it is done, i would not be at all surprised if you became a regular listener.

24. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

Anyone or thing that opposes a conservative politician or idea is liberal(from what I can tell from Fox). So I'm sure during one week, NPR will criticize the President on something, therefore that will be a liberal statement.

There are now only two sides to even the most complex of situations, didn't you know?

25. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm not sure i've ever heard NPR criticize bush. seriously. they'll report on those who do, but they've also got a crapload of people on who support bush.

maybe it would be useful for those commenting on NPR to say whether they listen to it. i do.