hmm...lots of Moto news lately...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by vniow, Jun 6, 2003.

1. vniow macrumors G4

Has anyone else noticed that there has been quite a bit of Moto news lately?

Do you think that they're afraid that they may lose a customer such as Apple to IBM or are they just concentrating on the embedded market as usual but just with more fanfare?

2. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Yeah, with all those rumors that Apple is gonna use the 970 and not their chips they're probaly trying to catch up to IBM and maybe change apples mind. Anyways I know That apple is gonna use the 970 and really dont give a crap about moto...Even though I havent followed these rumors closely..

3. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

4. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

isn't Moto still under contract with Apple? they could be trying to produce more chips to avoid the lawsuit for not providing a steady supply of chips.

to me it seems that Moto will still have business with Apple, i'm starting to think that the 7457 will be in Macs until the 970 comes to the iMac.

5. Huked on Fonick macrumors 6502

First of cb911 i like your sig....

I think apple should stay with moto to keep up compition i mean moto has no one providing compition to them so they have laged behind, whats to stop ibm from doing the same thing, right now they have moto but if apple drops moto it will just be ibm all by its lonly self with no one to provide compition or make them work........ i think apple is a farly big sorse of income for moto and soon to be ibm so its in both there advantages to be apples main supplier...

6. Raiwong macrumors member

the 3ghz G4 from moto sounds very attractive.

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Apple needs competing chip makers. It's become obvious over the past 3 years that in the MHz race you need balls-to-the-walls oneupmanship more than you need symbiotic cooperative development.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Ithink vniow has hit the nail on the head, she is absolutely correct. Moto is now trying to build hype for another nonexistant chip. they have stated embedded market is what they want and have shown no interest in the g4 the past 2 years. Smoke and mirrors. Please remember that Ibm will be going after some of the embedded market too only with cheaper,faster chips. Moto see's this coming. I dont think apple needs 2 cpu makers it needs one cpu maker who is focused and interested. Moto never was.

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

What was Moto's motivation to make faster Mac chips? To keep with Intel? Why? Moto was not competing with Intel, though Apple was.

What will be IBM's motivation? The same?

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

pseudo your right, and this hurt Apple big time. There was little to no motivation. After the Moto fiasco the past few years i would bet apple has more say in cpu developement with Ibm then moto. Also IBM will be selling their own 970's machines. Anyways the 970 is clocking higher and going places and it just started production. Moto could never say this with the g4. Lets hope this doesnt happen again but i would bet Steve and the boys& girls have thought of this many times during the past 3 yrs.

11. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Apple not best place for competing CPUs

What is the point of providing the faster chip if you know Apple will not use it for marketing reasons? This type of marketing has so far hampered the speed of G3s in iBooks in case they look more powerful than the G4s in PowerBooks.

The 970 will not be an Apple exclusive and IBM will want to sell it as the most powerful desktop CPU (for their own line of computers). That will provide IBM with all the incentive they need to improve the performance of their chip.