Hmmm...was it Legal?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Jul 4, 2004.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/story.jsp?story=537972

Nicely put, I think.

2. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

HA! I've said the whole time Bush should be charged with war crimes!

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

No comment on the legality.

It was definitely a poorly marketed war.

If the war was a spiffy new food product that tasted great and was marketed this way, nobody would have bought it because they were all told it tasted like crap.

No effort to make this action look palatable, and it's way too late to change anybody's mind.

There were reasons to "go in"... but none of them were voiced prior to actually going in. :rolleyes:

I'd definitely place this marketing fiasco right up there with "New Coke"

4. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I think that by dismissing the administration's mistakes as merely poor marketing, one dangerously downplays the problematic nature of this military effort. While there were reasons for regime change, there wasn't as much evidence to argue that this was the best way to effect it.

There could have been other, less extreme actions taken to topple the Hussein regime. Such ways might have preserved much of the essential infrastructure of the country, which would have made the transition to a new government all the easier.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The poor marketing by Bush resulted in the lack of support from the rest of the world, that lack of support and involvement meant few countries providing oversight & planning during key phases before, during, and after the first troops hit the ground.

Bush didn't even try sell his war plan to the rest of the world when people and countries didn't like the direction things were heading, and it basically went downhill from there. :(

6. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Rather, he tried and failed because of a lack of [real] evidence. The US went to great lengths to provide the world with an inaccurate depiction of Iraq to justify war and find support. We didn't get any because people weren't impressed with the content, as opposed to the packaging.

I still say that your argument ignores flaws with the plan itself by focusing on flaws with the sale of the plan.

The problem is, the plan didn't sell because it wasn't worth buying.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

He never tried to sell any other reason, there were several other ideas he "could" have sold -- but he never tried, at least I saw no overt signs that he was trying.

The idiot felt committed to "he has WMDs" for whatever reason, and you cannot fight these battles without selling them to the rest of the world.

And you can "sell" crap that ain't worth buying, heck you can sell rocks (Pet Rocks) if you really try.

Basically, my saying this is a "poor marketing effort" is Bush's complete lack of trying "another method" to sell his crappy product to the rest of the world.

8. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

He just said: You aren't patriotic if you don't support me!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

What is scary is how many people bought it!!

Thankfully American's are fickle and they aren't buying it anymore :D

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Many people forget that a few days before the 'war', there was an effort to have Saddam seek exile to another country. Bush did not want it, he wanted the blood of Saddam as the man "that tried to kill my dad".

The shame of it is that Bush as the Commander In Chief will never be held accountable to the world and the US for his actions.

10. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I had completely forgotten that!