Hmmm Why Does My Browser Slow Down When There's Too Many Flash Images?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by SamIchi, Feb 17, 2005.

1. macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I use Netscape on my eMac and whenever there's those flash ads on the sites, the browser slows down a bit. If I have more than one window w/ these ads it sometimes just stops, and I can't do anythin'?? I'll have to force quit. I have 768 mb of RAM. Is it the computer, or the browser? Video card maybe?

2. macrumors 68030

munkle

I'd start using Safari or Firefox, both far superior browsers ;) :)

3. macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I second that.

And probably 99% of all members here too.

4. macrumors 6502

Safari is much faster than the other OS X browsers when dealing with flash from my experience, but flash does perform surprisingly badly on OS X in general. Apparently the new version in development is significantly faster on macs.

5. thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Hmm.... I'm so used to usin' Netscape.... I guess I could try it.... Are there any distinct advantages of Safari?

6. macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Everything?

Just EVERYTHING about Shiira, Safari, and Firefox. Try ANY of those and enrich your internet experience. The only thing worse then netscape is IE itself.

kyle

7. thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

OK i'm usin' Safari now, I transfered all my Bookmarks, and went through the preferences. One thing that I'm missin' is the "new tab" button that was on the Netscape browser, unless I overlooked it. I used that button alot a hella lot. I know I can just ctrl click but it's a nuissance. Hmm.. Well I'll keep usin' and see how I like it. I might try the other browsers too. What do you guys reccomend? Firefox etc....

8. macrumors 68030

munkle

If you want to open up a link in a new tab, hold down command button (apple button) and click on the link.
    To navigate between tabs hold down command-shift and use the arrow keys to navigate left or right.
    To scroll through the different windows you have open, hold down command and press ~ (look at the top left of your keyboard under esc).
    Don't forget you can tell Safari to block pop up windows under the Safari menu, or press command-k.

9. macrumors 65816

We had a thread about this a while ago, and it turns out that the Flash player on the Mac simply sucks. As does the JVM. Many web pages with annoying little flash ads spin 100% of the cpu while on a windows machine they take only a small amount. My 1.5 ghz 17" powerbook should be able to handle it, so obviously the Flash player for the Mac is in need of serious optimization.

10. macrumors 68000

I agreed. Even with flash professional mx2004, it seriously need some optimization on Mac OS. If Adobe software can perform so much better, I don't see why macromedia software are so slow. Both software run on par with their respective PC version but their Mac version are so much different.

11. macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i run 1.ghz and 1 gig ram and it still lags on mine

dunno why

12. Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Even Safari and FireFox will struggle with too many Flash animations on one page. If tou need to see someting on the page (that is not Flash) you may temporary turn of support for plug-ins, and the Flash files won't load.

If you're switch to FireFox you may also install an Extention called Adblock which is specially designed to remove annoying Flash files through filtering, letting you filter out the unnecessary Flash animations and keeping those you want to see.