Hmmmm.....G3?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MalcolmJID, May 21, 2006.

1. MalcolmJID macrumors 6502a

Am I gonna regret buying a G3 iBook?

I'm really strapped for cash atm, and just want a laptop (Mac of course) with OS X Tiger for general internet use, IM'ing and word processing (college work).

Would a G3 iBook with max RAM (640MB) or as high as possible, run OS X Tiger ok and the usage I put up there ^^ and perhaps light use of Photoshop?

Cheers, Karl

2. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I'm assuming you mean a relatively fast (for a G3) iBook. If so, then yes I think it would be fine for the things you mentioned. I'm not sure about Photoshop, but I guess as long as you weren't doing anything too intensive, you'd be OK.

3. MalcolmJID thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

800 mhz one is definitely ok even for light photoshop work. Since it is for personal use it won't matter a great deal if a filter needs 10 or 30 or 60 sec I guess. I'd recomend Photoshop CS or 7, since CS2 may be too much. I'm running CS on the G4 cube in my sig and scanning and light editing is no problem.

5. munckee macrumors 65816

I had a 900mhz G3 ibook for quite a while and used it for exactly what you're talking about (although I put mine through moderate to heavy PS use). It's slow, but if you go into not expecting much, it'll be just fine. Mine was. :cool:

6. MalcolmJID thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Photoshop use would be a smaller images...(not hi-res photos) just me making band logo's (about 500*125 pix. kind of size), and adding a few blurs and text etc....how's that?

7. MalcolmJID thread starter macrumors 6502a

This will be my first Mac...so I was looking at lower-end stuff, but not that low end that I couldn't have Tiger etc.....

8. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

It will be very slow by modern computer standards, but people were using photoshop long before the 800mhz G3 came out.

9. jTreu macrumors 6502

i know two people who use G3 ibooks who say they work just fine for wod proccesing and internet surfing. i dont think you should have a problem.

10. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

G3 iBooks should be adaquate for what you are talking about, but make sure to max out the RAM if you want acceptable performance, especially with any kind of Photoshop work.

Also be aware that the 900mhz (and maybe certain other models) iBooks have a reputation for spontaneously toasting logic boards.

11. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Don't go spending much cash on it because the MacBooks are such a reasonable price.

I would say don't waste your money.

Save up a bit longer and put the money toward a new machine.

Rich.

12. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

If you're getting it cheap, go for it. It won't drop that much more in price in the next year or so, so you'll get most of it back when you sell it.

And I agree with above: PS7 is the way to go, and I would suggest using Panther, not Tiger; Tiger will run on it, but Panther will probably run faster at that amount of RAM/take up less HD space.

I had a G3 700 ibook for ages, loved it, and PS7 and AI10 both ran flawlessly on it (even at the same time)...

13. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

Just make sure that you get a machine with Quartz Extreme (on some of the 600Mhz iBooks and then everything else after it) Also, it might be in your best interest to get a G4 iBook (800Mhz-1Ghz) as with the new Macbooks they are severely less than what they used to be and you would get a pretty big performance increase.