Hob's Film Recommendation for August: The Island

Discussion in 'Community' started by hob, Aug 16, 2005.

1. hob macrumors 68020

hob

**WARNING: Spoilers MAY follow, but luckily for you, not in THIS post!**

I took a poke around and couldn't find other threads about the film, so I thought I'd start one!

It's been a slow summer for films this year, the only thing that interested me particularly being Star Wars III which was a little underwhelming, surprise surprise. But with films like Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo being released left, right and centre, it was good to get an interesting bit of politico-sci-fi for once!

Set in the near future, The Island is about a group of people who live in a utopian society, after a worldwide calamity. Survivors of "the contamination" are added to the group slowly, with little recollection of events previous.

There is a lottery, and seemingly at random, members of the community are sent to the last uncontaminated area on earth - The Island. Ewan McGregor plays Lincoln Six Echo, along with Scarlett Johanssen who plays Jordan Two Delta, two residents of the society. Lincoln starts to question his environment a little too much, and together with Jordan, he escapes to discover that not only is their world a lie, so is the nature of their existence...

The best-looking film I have seen all year, from the director who bought us the atrocious Pearl Harbour... If you can suspend your disbelief and just sit back and enjoy the film, you will enjoy it as much as I did. A flawed masterpiece. HHHH (that's 4 H's out of 5 ;) :D )

2. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

I enjoyed this movie a lot. There were two action scenes that I did not like though, that I thought cheapened the movie.

Other than that it is stellar. If nothing else watch it to see Scarlett Johanssen.

3. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I like the fact that it's pretty much a remake of Logans Run (they even named him Lincoln Six - it was Logan Six), with a story more akin to The Sixth Day. What I didn't like was just how advertising driven it was. It was as bad, if not worse than I, Robot. Within minutes of it starting, they'd already made sure that we knew that Puma had put their bit into the movie. Later, we saw "XBOX" in big letters all over the screen. Other entrances I can think of that were made noticed were the MSN Search thing and the fact that every time there was a Ford onscreen, the camera zoomed in nice and close, so that you knew it was a Ford badge

4. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

It is not a coincidence that Michael Bay started his directing career in advertising. I noticed this too, the only time I would say it was totally unnecessary was the XBOX. There's no WAY they'd be using a current XBOX, and the logo will have changed by 2019. Otherwise, the shots can be put down to his previous experience, plus the fact he's showing that the two main characters are also... products!

5. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Shoulda been a PS3, people are suppose to be still using those for ten years. :p