Hockey = life

Discussion in 'Community' started by pseudobrit, Dec 10, 2003.

1. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Anyone else play or follow hockey?

All these football & basketball threads got me thinking how many hockey players and fans are on the boards.

Sound off!

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i'm a college hockey fan. it's not the most popular sport out there, but being in Ann Arbor, one can't help but follow the wolverine hockey. (it also helped that my first year in ann arbor, we won the ncaa's. )(oh, we won football that year too. :D )

before i became addicted to baseball, hockey was my favorite amongst the four major sports. i still follow NHL - red wings, of course - but usually in the playoffs.

3. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Hey jxayma

My dad was telling me how a few guys on the Michigan team that he was close friends with (the football team in the 70s) went out for hockey. One of the guys was a linebacker.

I guess they kicked him off the team because he hit people too hard.

4. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I grew watching the Blackhawks at the old Chicago Stadium, back when they were good.:(

Now living in the state of hockey, Minnesota, I follow the Wild somewhat, but I just don't have as much time as when I was younger. Hockey must be seen live in person rather that on TV. TV doesn't do it justice. Plus TV never shows any of the really good fights, you know, the ones in the stands. :D

5. Heart Break Kid macrumors 6502a

OH GOD YES I DO

AS A CANUK IT IS MY DUTY TO FOLLOW HOCKEY - GO LEAFS GO. GO LEAFS GO. GO LEAFS GO. GO LEAFS GO. GO LEAFS GO.

*tear*

i miss Canada sooooo much

6. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Hockey=Canada

applemacdude is not canadian so he does not like hockey:)

Just Kidding. I dont like watching hockey but going to the local skate ring and playing a game of ghetto hockey is fun

7. pseudobrit thread starter macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I find that seeing a game on TV is a piss-poor substitute for seeing one live. It's a night and day difference.

And even then, seeing a game in person is not nearly as good as playing in a league yourself. ;)

8. pseudobrit thread starter macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I know how you feel. I'm a Pens fan.
    From playoff contender to zero in three years is a bit of a disappointment. Although Marc-Andre Fleury got his first NHL shutout against your 'Hawks. ;)

(edit) Thankfully, I follow the Habs on the side, though, and they'll hopefully make the playoffs this year. I can't wait to go to Montreal next spring and catch a game, visit the Forum, etc. Plus I hear the city is fantastic.

I'm going to the Igloo next weekend to catch a Pens-Thrashers game down close -- right behind the visitor's bench!

9. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

i've played hockey in one league or another since i was 9...until sophomore year of high school, when i stopped to focus on track and x-country...now I'm on my college's club hockey team, and lovin it

10. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

macaztec: that's fantastic. :D

hockey at michigan's home rink (yost arena) was awsome until one year, they decided to brown-nose the donating alumni and built hanging seats over the regular seats that blocked the view at least partially for about the upper third of seats. that made me mad. i was at the level where i could see the ice but not the scoreboard. so guess what they did? they installed a bunch of TVs showing a video of the scoreboard!! bunch of retards...

i've been boycotting getting tickets since. i'm still mad they did that to raise some money while sacrificing the student atmosphere at yost. :mad:

11. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

Is the Forum still around? The Canadiens play at the Bell Centre now. I'd love to visit Montreal sometime. My wife's cousin lives in Ottawa, while not really close, is a good enough excuse to make a trip. It certainly must be nice than either Winnipeg or Thunder Bay :p

While your team struggles due to lack of money, the 'hawks struggle because they have the worst owner of all professional sports, Bill Wirtz.

12. pseudobrit thread starter macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The Forum's still there, ghosts and all.

I'll have to brush up on my high school French this winter. :p

13. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

I love hockey of all the sports. It's the least boring to watch IMO.
    Unfortunately, I never learned how to ice skate so I can't play it.
    I'm concerned about the fanbase of hockey currently. If you watch a game on TV nowadays there aren't that many fans in the stands rooting their team. During the playoffs they come out but where are all the fans dude?

14. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

well, one of the problems, i think, is that the NHL playoff is very lenient. if you have a half decent team, you make the playoffs... so why bother following the regular season when you can just wait for the excitement of the playoffs?

at least in detroit, all the seats are taken by season ticket holders. my gf tried to get me tickets but all she could buy the moment it was publically available was in an obstructed view section, within two rows of the highest rows...

we moved around and sat in empty seats here and there anyway, by the time it was halfway through the second, we had a decent seat, about 25 rows up. :D (even caught two goals on my digital camera using the movie mode... how lucky could that be considering i can only capture 30 sec. clip at a time! :) )

15. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

i love hockey. played until high school. thought about it in college, but couldn't find the time. hands down the most fun sport i tried to play growing up.

I grew up with the (original) mario lemieux penguins, so i had it pretty bad from 1980-1989, and pretty good from 1990-2000. Got so see some amazing games at the civic arena, i watched both of the marathon playoff games all the way through, and those stanley cups are likely to be all pittsburgh shall ever know hence forth of winning. hopefully they can get a decent CBA this off season and help keep the pens afloat.

*side note: marc-andre fleury is going to be the junk.:D

16. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

I'm a big hockey fan and have suffered for many years following my favorite team, the NY Rangers.

What's nice is that my hometown has an AHL team, the Binghamton Senators, so I go to a lot of the games and get to watch the up an coming stars. As a matter of fact I went to a game last night, the Senators versus the Manitoba Moose. Last season we had Jason Spezza lighting up the AHL, now he's with Ottawa.

17. pseudobrit thread starter macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I'm near the Heshey Bears, who are Colorado's farm team. They usually have good seasons, as you can imagine.

Right now I'm in a routine of playing hockey where I practice inline every other weekday and lift weights and run alternate days. Then on Friday (after the gym) and Saturday nights I play open hockey on ice. Sunday's my only day off.

My game is improving significantly since and I'm aiming for a good forward position on a decent team in a spring league. :)

Wish me hat tricks ;)

18. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

You do remember that trebblekicked is centering or playing right wing on the first line of the PPP hockey team. Can you play on the left? Oh the left wing that has nothing to do with your politics. ;) :D :D

I have no minor league hockey in my area, but we have 4 division 1 hockey teams in the state, and high school hockey is huge up here.