HOCKEY TIME!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by XNine, Oct 4, 2005.

1. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Oh yeah, Hockey is back. SO, I wanna know, who's your team, do you think the new rules will make the game better, and would you like to See Todd Burtuzzi's face bashed into tiny little pieces like he did to my homey Moore?

I'm an Av's fan. Who's bench are you on?

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i'm a capitals fan. but i expect they will suck.... can't even keep bondra!

what all are the rules changes?

3. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

The leafs are the team around here. The team is looking good, assuming we don't suffer any injuries like we have in the past.

It deeply pains me to say this, but the sens might take the cup this year.

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Go Blues!

The analysts don't expect us to be very good this year, but I've got my rose-colored glasses on and everything looks, well, rosy. :) Seriously, though, it will be an entertaining season for sure, and if there was ever a year where anything could happen, this would be it. I'm sharing a season ticket with a friend of mine, so I'll be able to make it to at least 21 games this year.

Bertuzzi should still be suspended- for at least another season. Just what amounted to a 13 game suspension? That, my friends, is ridiculous.

5. SharksFan22 macrumors regular

SharksFan22

Enjoy one of the hardest working forwards, Jeff Friesen. Even though my Sharks picked up Teemu Selanne in the Friesen trade with Anaheim a few years ago, losing Friesen really hurt. I wish we'd been able to get him from New Jersey before the Caps did.

The guy gave everything, every night and was a good guy. I had beers with him a few times and just can't say enough.

6. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

GGGGOOOOO RANGERS!!!!!!!!!

Last time I follwed them was back in the day around 98 when they had Gretzky, Leetch, Richter and Ndur. I havent follwed hockey since I moved to europe but since the lock out is done its the perfect excuse to get back into it.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

YES!!!!

8. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

9. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Honest opinion here, (really!) but the Leafs really messed up taking Lindros. Ignoring the concussion issue, the thing he seems to be best at is completely messing up chemistry and locker room unity. He's on my list of players that always seem to make teams better than leaving them. Sometimes talent is just not enough.

But it doesn't matter because the Canucks are going to take it this year. We're back injury free (well aside from Ohlund, Bertuzzi, and god know who else that seem to have groin and back injuries) and ready to go.

10. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

I would far prefer to have seen the NHL do something about Moore's intent-to-injure hit on Naslund, putting him in the hospital twice (once for the concussion and then after the season to remove the bone chips from his elbow) , so that we could have avoided the rest of the nastiness knowing that the league will protect the players.

The man puts his elbow into the face of somebody who's on his knees, and there's not even a $(%*& penalty for that hit. Discipline is a joke.

11. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Completely agree with you here. Moore got what he deserved. If you're going to take a run at the team's star player and not expect some payback you're an idiot. Yeah sure spinal fractures are not good, but it was a complete freak experience and it's not like Bertuzzi was trying to break his neck, if Bertuzzi did exactly the same thing but Moore didn't break his neck, it would have been a major and a game misconduct and maybe 1 or 2 more games MAX. Bertuzzi was being railroaded because Moore has weak vertebra, penalize the play, not the injury.

Any who... I think the Penguins will be very interesting to watch. They picked up a whole lot of talent and if the refs really do start to call the new rules it would help them out a lot. Will be a very interesting season

12. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Carolina Hurricanes, aka the ex-Hartford Whalers. Got my custom jersey (JOHANSON 37), went to the Stanley Cup Final game 3 in 2002 (vs. the Red Wings), almost damaged the hearing in my left ear from 116 db of noise (110+ db for FIVE MINUTES STRAIGHT). My brother lives in Raleigh and we go to several games a season.

Hurricanes have been looking pretty good to me in the preseason so far... hope they make it to the playoffs this season.

13. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

I'm not going to go that far, nobody deserved that.

Unforunately what Moore and Bertuzzi got was a buildup of a situation that the NHL has been creating for a long time ... no accountability. This situation of on-ice vengence / protection has been building for too long, because of a league reluctance to deal with the enforcer issue, and an inexplicable inability to hold referees accountable for their mistakes.

Had Moore gotten even a 2 minute penalty for that hit, it would have defused the situation.

Had the league instituted a penalty for that hit, it would have defused that situation.

Heck, had the league even admitted their refs made a mistake (with 2 refs and 2 linesmen on the ice, how do things like this get missed?) it would have defused the situation.

Instead the league sent a clear message that if you don't protect your players on the ice, nobody will protect them, and set up the situation. It was one that had been building for a long time in a lot of different teams, and this is where it blew up.

Exactly. Had Moore landed differently and not been seriously injured, that would have been a major and a game misconduct, which I completely disagree with: If you tackle somebody that way you should be gone for a long time.

The league is punishing the result, and not the action. As long as they do that, players will take the risk knowing the odds are it won't be too bad. It's just setting somebody up for an even more serious injury.

The scary thing is that nothing has been done to resolve this, and an article in our local paper pointed out that the updates to the instigator rule (severe penalties in the last 5 minutes) is just going to increase the headhunting because the other team doesn't dare retaliate in any way.

BTW IMO Moore is doing himself no favours at this point. I agree that he has a right to sue, given he might not work again, but given that the crime was committed in Vancouver, by a Vancouver resident, investigated by the Vancouver police, and brought to criminal trial in Vancouver, why (other than the obvious) is he bringing the lawsuit forward in Colorado? What does the Colorado justice system have to do with this?

The Penguins will be interesting.

The Pacific Division is going to be devestating -- Colorado, Calgary, Vancouver, Minnesota, and Edmonton fighting it out is going to be a last man standing situation.

14. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

ME 2 i don't have high hopes for the season, i think its gonna be pitiful. I saw them play the bruins on saturday...wow what a disgrace. But now that i'm in boston i can watch a good and my fav. player, leetch. I got a mini plan this year for like 10 games and their on the weekends which is nice. My dad has been a ranger season ticket holder for over 25 years.... i'm going to messiers retirement number game, i can't wait....
    I also like the avs. I love sakic, man i wish i had his wrist shot :)

15. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

"Let's go Whalers ...."

Until they're back in Hartford, the NHL is dead to me.

So, um, Let's go University of Maine Black Bears ...

16. mkubal macrumors 6502a

Go Lightning!

We'll see if they can repeat without Khabibulin. I'm skeptical, but at least hockey is back.

17. Spaceman Spiff macrumors regular

Go Canucks!!!

Bertuzzi got served some community service and a probation as well by the BC courts. The general feel over here is that he's paid his dues and is now, weirdly enough, the most popular player on the team, and repeatedly gets the loudest cheers on entrance, because people keep bashing him for what he did. The entire city was angry when Moore hit Naslund with no punishment. Bertuzzi hit him back, he was suspended and charged with assault. Moore is still pushing a lawsuit against Bertuzzi, the NHL has warned refs to keep an eye on him, the guy just keeps being hit with more and more, and is probably wondering if he'll ever live that mistake down. Bertuzzi isn't the first to retaliate, but he's getting to be an example, which is terribly unfair to him, methinks.

Anyways, let's see if the Nucks can't spoil Wayne's big night...

18. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

That would be nice, one note on that, just a feeling (which I hope I'm wrong) but I don't think that Wayne's going to be a good coach, or at least won't get a great performance from his players. Hopefully I'm wrong, 'cause the guy's had just an amazing career, but I don't know about this move. And...
    I agree with you on all your points, you said my feelings much more eloquently than me, and I was just angry at Moore when I wrote that as I had just read on CTV about his lawsuit in Colorado.
    I do feel though, that the game is almost like the Roman times of gladiators and the players know that and as such you can't expect not to get hurt in a game, and then go running off suing everyone. They get paid big bucks for what they do and it is a risk that they all take, especially if you're going to do something as stupid as running a team's star player. Though I completely agree with you that the refs not calling Moore's hit, and many others like it has set up 'take the law into your own hands' behaviour, but if that's what's expected by the fans, and that's what the players know, how on earth can you cry foul when your cheap shot comes back to haunt you. Did you see Naslund trying to sue Moore? He's just a whiney, snivelly little sh*t who really pisses me off. I'm getting angry again, gotta go
    :mad:

Oh yeah, Burnaby Joe does have a wicket wrist shot

19. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Back on topic (slightly :))

I don't know what's going to happen with Wayne coaching. I hope it works out well, and he certainly has an instinct for the game, plus his sheer prescence will inspire the players for a time.

More interesting to watch will be Patrick Roy coaching juniors. I just can't imagine that... although seeing "tough" 17 year olds driven to tears will be interesting.

20. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

21. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

22. emaja macrumors 68000

Ten percent smaller equipment for goalies (their pads - get your mind out of the gutter), red line is ignored as a line in two-line passes, smaller neutral zone (meaning larger offensive zones) "tag up" rule instituted to reinstate playere as on-sides, no line changes by team that iced puck, goalies limited area to handle puck.

Zero tolerance for interference/hooking/holding (yeah, right - heard that before), and shootouts - no more ties.

There are a few others in relation to instigator penalties and unsportsmanlike conduct, but those are most of the in game rule changes.

BTW - Go 'Hawks. Or at least "Go Wirtz!" Really, you can go now.

23. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

GOOO CANUCKS!!!!!!!!

Ok, well basically for the on-ice changes there are a couple things.

1. No more redline - Basically what this mean there is you are now allowed to do a 2 line pass.

2. Rink dimensions - The blue lines each moved 2 feet closer to the middle creating a smaller offensive zone. The goaline was moved closer to the end of the rink.

3. Goalie puck play - There is now a trapezoid shaped area behind the net, and that is now the only area that goalies are allowed to play the puck behind the goal line. Any where else, and the will get a 2:00 delay of game.

4. Shootout - If a game is still in a tie after a 5 minute overtime, they will go to a shootout. There will be 3 shooters for each time, and winner will get 2 points, loser will get 1.

Here are that will help you to visualize the new rules.some videos

So who else is going to their teams opening night? I have my tickets locked up in a safe. They are the most precious thing I own right now.

24. stromie952 macrumors regular

Go Sabres!

Youngest team in the league should be interesting to watch this year. Young at every position with only 3 players 30 or over on the whole team (2 at 30 and Teppo Numienen at 37). I'm very excited about Tomas Vanek and Ryan Miller in goal. No matter what happens I get to hear Rick Jeanneret every game so I'll be happy!

25. XNine thread starter macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Moore's hit was not as bad as Burtuzzi's. That is clear as crystal. I believe Moore should have got punished, yes, but what Burtuzzi did was just pitiful. It's called a "bitch shot." I'd make Burtuzzi hold my pocket cos he is such a bitch.

Anyway, the no-tie shootouts are going to be interesting. It'll make things go a lot faster and won't make you feel like you wasted two hours of your life for a tie.

I'm hoping the lightning get owned this year. They didn't even deserve to win the last Stanley Cup (did you see where the refs called the goal that their goalie kicked out "not in"???? against Calgary in game 6. Calgary should have won. Damn conspiracy!)

As for the greatest rivalry ever, between my Av's and the Redwings, I hope there's more fights. I love seeing the redwings get pounded.