Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
The LA Kings are my team. I was participating in "Kill Gretzky" chants back when he was in Edmonton. I had a change of heart though. :D

So far I like how the new rules are working. They should have eliminated ties a long, long time ago. And the xx-xx-x-x standings were especially ridiculous.

I think they should shrink the goalie pads down even more. During the cancelled season the local FSN channel was showing "classic" games from the past in the early game slots and the goalies in the 1980s were stripped down compared to now. And the LA vs. Toronto conference final Game 7 from 1993 was one of the most exciting games I've ever seen. It has been so long since I saw a game that free-wheeling and fun. I keep watching hoping it will happen though.

XNine

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Stampyhead said:
Canadiens fan here (go Habs!). They seem to be doing well now, but I don't know how long that will last.
I can't support the Avalanche, as I followed them when they were the Quebec Nordiques. They sucked back then, but they were our team. Ahh, the memories at the good ol' Colisée...
That was a long time ago, but I'm still bitter.

Think about how my father feels about The North Stars moving to Dallas. = b

The Avs are a good team. I'm glad they're finally getting back on their feet. The last active season, I can't beleive they didn't do better.

IU thought Calgary was exceptional last year! WTF is up with them this year? It seems like Iginla isn't pulling his star momentum like last year (by teh way, they should have won the Cup in Game 6 if the refs would have actually called that goal where the goalie kicked it out after it crossed the line).

Oh, and about dirty players for the redwings, I don't think there was a worse one than McCarty (now in Calgary). So snide...

I think msot of the rules that the game has made are great, except the fine/suspension for starting a fight at the end of a game. I think that's just plain retarded. How many great fights were at the end of games? TONS!

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
The canucks game was terrible last night. I liked all the people in jail outfits though. There were some terrible penalties called though. I'v noticed all over the league the most ridiculous things are being called. It seems they're trying to turn hockey into a no-contact sport :eek: . And when someone trys to talk about it, they get fined. I say get rid of betman. This new NHL isn't really that great afterall.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
killuminati said:
The canucks game was terrible last night. I liked all the people in jail outfits though. There were some terrible penalties called though. I'v noticed all over the league the most ridiculous things are being called. It seems they're trying to turn hockey into a no-contact sport :eek: . And when someone trys to talk about it, they get fined. I say get rid of betman. This new NHL isn't really that great afterall.

Betman is the worst Comissioner out of the sports.

Kinda sad that he is worse than Selig :eek:

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
eva01 said:
Betman is the worst Comissioner out of the sports.

Kinda sad that he is worse than Selig :eek:
I agree, Bettman needs to go... hockey needs a fresh start, and it should begin at the top.

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2003
stonyc said:
I agree, Bettman needs to go... hockey needs a fresh start, and it should begin at the top.

I agree, Bettman needs to be thrown out.

Still, Go Avs!!!!

And a note about Vancouver's Bertuzzi, it still makes me sick that he is even allowed to play. The guy is one of the lowest people that I have ever seen in my life. There is absolutely no question he should still be out of hockey, I don't even comprehend such bull.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
The Bertuzzi thing is old. Get over it, the players have.

I love the way the game is being played right now. It's fast, there are still hits, big hits. Its the first time in years I've been able to watch a full game without getting bored. Once the referees start calling the dives the game will be awesome. No hooking/ obstruction, and no one diving.. So the game will be fast, and there will be less penalties.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
rickvanr said:
and there will be less penalties.

Less penalties??? Right now there are about 20 penalties a game. It's disgusting. I actually can't stand some of the things the refs are calling. There are always gonna be little hooks and a bit of obstruction in hockey. It's part of the game.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
killuminati said:
Less penalties??? Right now there are about 20 penalties a game. It's disgusting. I actually can't stand some of the things the refs are calling. There are always gonna be little hooks and a bit of obstruction in hockey. It's part of the game.

Yes, there will be less penalties. Right now the players are in a transition period adjusting to the way penalties are being called in this new NHL. In a month or so the players will adjust. The refs will also start calling the diving, instead of players who are getting calls against them. The diving will slow down due to being caught, and the silly penalties won't be called because the other players won't be diving. Which means less penalties.

XNine

macrumors 68040
Original poster
I agree. Betman is a psycho.

There are soem bad penalties being called, and some that are nto called, it's always been like that and always will be. It's funny to see Brad May fight members of his old team so frequently. lmao.

I dunno, there's just no other sport quite like hockey, and the games are definately better now. I've also noticed the intermission time has been cut in half. Or am I just losing my mind.

I think the AVs are finally getting their club together as far as team work. It's good to see. Forseberg doesn't seem to be doing so well without us.... Strange.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
Onizuka said:
I've also noticed the intermission time has been cut in half. Or am I just losing my mind.

You're just losing your mind. All of the games I'v been to seem like the usual time to me. Maybe the intermission show is just better.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
Onizuka said:
I think the AVs are finally getting their club together as far as team work. It's good to see. Forseberg doesn't seem to be doing so well without us.... Strange.

Yah, he's really doing horrible being 3rd in the league in scoring. What a hack.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
Onizuka said:
Yeah, in POINTS, not GOALS. Points mean **** when they're assists compared to the actual goal. He should be among the top in scoring GOALS, not just POINTS.

You obviously don't get hockey at all do you.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
Onizuka said:
Yeah, I don't you prattling troll. :rolleyes:

Real mature. At least know what you're talking about thats all I ask.

Anyways, Forsberg is doing great, he's creating offense which is why Philadelphia signed him.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
Onizuka said:
Yeah, in POINTS, not GOALS. Points mean **** when they're assists compared to the actual goal. He should be among the top in scoring GOALS, not just POINTS.

Your kidding right?

Come back to this thread when you actually understand the game.

So how are you guys doing in your pools? In one of them I'm in the middle and the other I'm in last place. Who'da thought Sakic and St Louis would be my two worst picks :eek:

Spaceman Spiff

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
killuminati said:
There are always gonna be little hooks and a bit of obstruction in hockey. It's part of the game.

Well, no it's not part of the game anymore. They removed it from the game. So the players are either going to learn not to hook, or they will continue to get numerous penalties. Really annoying when one of those calls blows a lead or is in the last few minutes of an intense game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.