Hogwasher vs. Unison: Which is the best usenet newsgroup reader for binaries?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by motulist, May 3, 2006.

1. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

I'm a long time Hogwasher user and it's a great program, but it's good to reevaluate things once in awhile. With best binary handling as the criteria, which app do you think is better - Hogwasher or Unison? (or other)

2. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    They both suck. Unison delivers a great gui, but anything you try to upload with it will turn out corrupted and unusable.

There's isn't one, good solid Newsreader for OS X since Thoth is no longer supported.

3. motulist thread starter macrumors 68040

motulist

Have you tried Hogwasher? Hogwasher doesn't have that upload problem and is a really good program all around.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Unison does have a great GUI, but it's crashy. More betaish than ready-for-prime-time, IMO.
    Never used Hogwasher. I tended to get away from newsgroups in 1995. :)

5. motulist thread starter macrumors 68040

motulist

Hogwasher is a really powerful and full featured program, but the gui has a bit of a learning curve. But once you're familiar with the gui it's a really good program. Hogwasher crashes are extremely rare, maybe 2 or 3 per year with near daily use.

6. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

There's always Pan...install X11, install fink, type "fink install pan." It would be nicer if it had a native Aqua interface, but it's a good newsreader.

--Eric

7. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

I'm quite pleased with Hogwasher. There have been some rough spots en route to version 4 (including a timeframe with no yEnc support) but no complaints at the moment.

8. motulist thread starter macrumors 68040

motulist

It does yenc, autopost multipart binaries, sorts downloaded binaries into separate folders, and lots more. It really is a very good all around newsgroup reader. There are a couple of things that could be added or changed to make it better though, such as a built in thumbnail viewer for images like Unison has. But overall it really does quite a good job.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

MT-Newswatcher, like Thoth, is based on the public domain USENET news client, Newswatcher. Unlike Thoth, MT-Newswatcher is free and still readily available. You can find it here.

10. motulist thread starter macrumors 68040

motulist

Why would I use any of those when Hogwasher is so good? What do they do that Hogwasher doesn't?

11. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

Agreed. With Hogwasher, I can connect to the same newsgroups as hosted on multiple newsgroup servers/accounts and snag bits of the file I want from different newsgroups or even different servers/accounts; Hogwasher gets them from the most convenient sources, then decodes and assembles them.

Great filters.

12. skipper13 macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Jun 20, 2016 ---
    I am using HogWasher 4.3, I started with 3.1. I am happy with 4.3 and use it mostly for binary down loading and so uploading. Recently I tried the e-mail client capability and I get the following error code...

Error code: 101530
    Mail send failed
    5.70 Must issue STARTTLIS command first.
    Can someone help me with configuration, yes i am runnding 4.3.
    My email is a free yahoo messenger account.