Hold out for a Mini-MacBook or get a 12" PowerBook G4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by smithy05, Feb 4, 2007.

1. smithy05 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've been enamoured with Macs for a long time now, and even though I've never owned one before there's a good chance my next computer will be a MacBook.

My problem is, it's not me on the lookout for a new laptop right now, but my girlfriend--and she wants something extra-portable, no question. Unfortunately, this is the one virtue that the new Intel generation of MacBooks just doesn't have--we've both checked them out in person and it's just much heavier than what we're looking for.

So, does anyone know of any rumors of a smaller MacBook model being planned that we should hold out for? Or should we just accept that we can't have the best of both worlds, and get a refurbished 12" PowerBook G4?

2. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

a smaller macbook is less than likely but hey anything is possible

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

There are very few laptops on the market smaller than the Macbook. How little of a computer are you looking for?

4. kraftzwerg macrumors regular

I own a 12" PowerBook and can safely say this is the best, most reliable & most stable portable notbook I can imagine. If you don't need the horsepower of a dual-core Intel system, i.e. won't do any video editing with it, it'll be perfect (especially if you can find a good deal on it).

5. smithy05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Preferably something under 5 lbs.

Some (non-Mac) PCs we've also been considering, for reference:
    Lenovo 3000 V100
    Samsung Q35 (gets 5 hours battery life!)

Both manage to squeeze the Core 2 Duo into the smaller encasements without causing heat/noise problems, and at a reasonable price... so I expect it would be feasible for Apple to do the same (at a perhaps slightly higher but not astronomical price).

6. smithy05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the endorsement. It's this kind of satisfaction with the product that makes me lean toward an older PowerBook, despite the difference in horsepower. My girlfriend isn't the biggest "power user" I know, so I suspect it would suit her perfectly.

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I wouldn't hold my breath for that extra .2 lbs. If you need it lighter, you'll probably have to go with an older Mac or a PC.

8. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

the reason why the macbook is considerably bigger than the lenovo or samsung is that it has a 13.3" display versus a 12.1" display. the macbook's predecessor, the ibook, came in two sizes, 12" and 14". i think of the macbook as a compromise in size between the two, and i can't imagine apple making another size for the macbook. there were rumors awhile back of an ultra-portable macbook pro. i doubt such a laptop is going to emerge, and it would be pricey if it ever did. if portability is really an issue and the macbook doesn't suit your needs, i'd go with a peecee.

9. smithy05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm... Here's something very interesting:

Mac Book Mini « Apple Recon

Perhaps I ought to hold out until June after all...

Edit: Hold on, they're saying it will come with a Radeon X1900 and will weigh only 3.5lbs.... Now that's starting to sound questionable.

10. jono_3 macrumors regular

i absolutely provide the same endorsement and experience with mine.

11. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I've never heard of that site. I doubt they are very reliable.

12. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

13. smithy05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, we looked at Sony's offerings but they are all too damn expensive.

14. portent macrumors 6502a

I love my 12" PowerBook...the size and form factor are just about perfect, and the keyboard is better than the MacBooks', too.

I'd suggest you max out the memory, just to get as much speed as you can out of it. But the last model (1.5GHz G4) is a still a very responsive and capable machine.

That said, I do hope Apple eventually launches a smaller, lighter laptop. Until it does, I won't be buying a new Apple portable. The MacBook, as capable and affordable as it is, is not a replacement for the 12" PowerBook.

15. Kamikaze macrumors member

I own both MB & MBP and The GF owns a 12"iBook. I want something smaller too. So i am on the prowl for a 12"PB also even if i have to get it hot rodded by Daystar. They are really sweet machines. I price battery life the most. The MB is great the MBP isn't.:apple:

16. dreamfocused macrumors member

dreamfocused

If portability is of such concern to you then I'd go with the 12" PB, I had a 12" iBook and it was ultra portable. There hasn't been much rumor of Apple creating a smaller laptop and you could well be waiting a very long time. I say go with the 12" it's a great machine if your gf isn't power hungry and is a casual user, it will suit her just fine

17. coday182 macrumors regular

coday182

I guarantee that if apple ever comes up with one of these, it will be at best equally priced as the Sony.

18. smithy05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for the helpful responses!

I've just found yet another rumor report on MacScoop--anyone know how reliable that site is?

Anyway, seeing as my girlfriend already has a working (albeit aging and not-very-portable) laptop, I'm thinking it might be good to wait and see after all. That's the advice I gave to another friend back when the Intel switch was still a much-disputed rumor, and I was right! (Unfortunately before the momentous event came to be they got impatient and ordered a Dell :( ) In any case, Apple certainly is known for springing surprise product intros on us....

On the other hand, if it turns out Apple does make it über-expensive, then maybe the PowerBook is the better option from our perspective after all...

For the record, how much did the 12" PowerBooks cost when they were brand new?

19. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

But many reliable sources were posting that rumor. This is a entirely different situation.

20. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

I believe they were $1500 (less with education discount—obviously).

I'll join the fan club. My 12" PB is almost two years old and has given my almost no problems. Really a pleasure to use.

I don't know if it's so good that I'd sink money into it, though. I'd love to max the ram (from 768 to 1.25), get a bigger faster HD into it (this one is 60 GB 5400 RPM) and get Leopard when it comes out. But that would add up to $400, and it'd still be a 1.5 GHz G4, two and a half years old with a dim screen and (very) used battery.

But you didn't ask me to think out loud about my own situation so I'll shut up and watch the game now :D

21. job macrumors 68040

job

Is there really that much of a difference between the Macbook and the 12" Powerbook?

Honestly, I don't know if I'd spend that much money on a laptop that is already several generations behind the times (CD, C2D.) The Macbook isn't that heavy.

If you don't need the processing power of the Powerbook, I'd honestly opt for a refurbed 12" iBook G3. Better battery life, runs cooler, and works perfectly well running 10.3 or 10.4. You can pick one of them up for anywhere from $300 to $400.

22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The MacBook is the replacement for the iBook and 12" PB.

Don't expect anything smaller unless Apple brings in a subnotebook without and optical drive -- which isn't too likely.

23. 12991 macrumors member

24. popelife macrumors member

For now, I'd find the best condition secondhand 12" G4 iBook you can, and make sure the RAM is maxed out. Not dramatically less powerful than the 12" PowerBook, much the same size, but probably a whole lot cheaper.

Then get ready to sell it on when smaller, lighter MacBooks come along (or MBPs, whatever they decide to do).

I'm certain Apple will do a smaller form-factor portable this year, maybe as part of a total revision to the MBP range. But it's a question of when... I think the planets have to align to Apple's satisfaction first (i.e. low power chips that don't give up too much processing power. Maybe with Penryn in the Autumn?)

25. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

not to mention a resolution independent gui in Leopard.