Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
iPod classic has a small screen. iPod touch has little storage.
I hope Apple will come up with a thicker, hard disk-based, iPod touch.

160GB is still a bit short, so I wouldn't be totally convinced at the moment.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I hope Apple will come up with a thicker, hard disk-based, iPod touch.

160GB is still a bit short, so I wouldn't be totally convinced at the moment.

You can hope all you want but it's clear the days of HDD based iPods are coming to an end. The "classic" will be the final HDD iPod. It will last a couple of years, maybe with new colors to refresh, new tweaks to the UI, etc. But Apple will bury it in a couple years to be replaced by nothing. The Touch is the future. 16GBs today. 64GB in 2 years. If I had to bet, I'd say the nano will go "touch" too in a couple of years.

xpovos

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
You can hope all you want but it's clear the days of HDD based iPods are coming to an end. The "classic" will be the final HDD iPod. It will last a couple of years, maybe with new colors to refresh, new tweaks to the UI, etc. But Apple will bury it in a couple years to be replaced by nothing. The Touch is the future. 16GBs today. 64GB in 2 years. If I had to bet, I'd say the nano will go "touch" too in a couple of years.

I imagine you're right, but if it's still just 64GB in 2 years, then we're really taking a step backward. If portable, digital video becomes as popular as portable, digital audio is now, 64GB just won't cut it at all. Keep in mind, though, that I'm one of those folks who believes that 16GB in a video-capable (and video-enhanced) iPod in 2007 is just laughable. Flash RAM prices be damned! If you can't produce a product at a reasonable cost that is actually usable for its stated purpose, you should just wait until the technology is more economical.

sokrates

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2006
I still don't get why some ppl need to have ALL of their files with them at any time....16 gb ist more than enough for anything, you can put 20 movies on them in adequate quality, that's more than you can watch in a whole month, just sync the damn movies you "might wanna see" and you're all set, same thing for music "I have 24235 terrabytes of music, they don't fit on it *whine*"
I have a 20gb iPod and it's not even full,even though I do have a music library of about 100 gb, and if I think about how much of my music I regularly listen to, it's probably just 4 gb or so.
Ppl here behave as if they would only sync their ipod once and then leave on that huge world trip and never return to their houses.
You guys really need to get a life, and maybe just order some cheese to go along with your whine.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
I still don't get why some ppl need to have ALL of their files with them at any time....16 gb ist more than enough for anything, you can put 20 movies on them in adequate quality, that's more than you can watch in a whole month, just sync the damn movies you "might wanna see" and you're all set, same thing for music "I have 24235 terrabytes of music, they don't fit on it *whine*"
I have a 20gb iPod and it's not even full,even though I do have a music library of about 100 gb, and if I think about how much of my music I regularly listen to, it's probably just 4 gb or so.
Ppl here behave as if they would only sync their ipod once and then leave on that huge world trip and never return to their houses.
You guys really need to get a life, and maybe just order some cheese to go along with your whine.

its not that people are going to listen to it all, but that they then have the choice to listen to anything they want. and thats the beauty of it. i know i'm rather fickle when it comes to deciding what i want to listen to, so having it all along gives me the option of listening to whatever.

there is no need for insults.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
its not that people are going to listen to it all, but that they then have the choice to listen to anything they want. and thats the beauty of it. i know i'm rather fickle when it comes to deciding what i want to listen to, so having it all along gives me the option of listening to whatever.

there is no need for insults.

I get the idea of choice, and it makes sense for music (to an extent) because a song is 3 minutes long and usually you will listen to a song many many times.

However with video, you will watch it once. Sure there will be some videos you will want to always carry with you, but most times you just want to watch the latest episode of a show, or the latest movie you ripped/downloaded etc.

It may sound weird, but IMO you need less storage for video than for music, simply because you should only be syncing the latest content that has not been consumed.

edit: Sync up a few movies, the latest video podcasts feeds, and the latest eps you haven't seen. Properly encoded for the ipod, for most people this should range between 2gb and 6gb. Let's say there is about 1gb of content you always want to carry around. That's an average of 5gb of video you would have on your ipod at one time. Perfect for a 16gb iTouch if you have a 10gb music collection (as I do.)

I want my iTouch....

sokrates

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2006
just to make it clear, I did not insult anyone, I just complained about the consistent whining that's going on on these boards, no matter what apple gives us, some ppl always complain....sometimes I think some ppl just complain for the sake of complaining.....And not being able to choose from 16 gb of music is just ridiculous.....

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007

Apple will never go 100% touch based with their ipod lineup. ;)

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD

Thanks for your help. And I bet last week you were saying there would be no touchscreen iPod. None of us know where Apple is going but Wednesday's announcements seem to suggest touch and NAND flash.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
As long as there is enough people who want to load their whole libraries in the iPod they will continue to make HDD iPods. The next step is an HDD Touch, maybe not bigger than the Classic, so that it won't be a turn off for some people.

At some point capacity was growing more than your possibility of paying for new music, but now with video and free podcasts there's plenty of room to grow. Flash doesn't cut it.

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Thanks for your help. And I bet last week you were saying there would be no touchscreen iPod. None of us know where Apple is going but Wednesday's announcements seem to suggest touch and NAND flash.

No, i wanted a touchscreen last week. Im just saying, 100% touch is soo inconvenient some times.

Draythor

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Exeter University, UK

An iPod touch shuffle for example. Christ people are picky about these sort of things. IMO If Apple had released a Hard disk and Flash version of the iPod touch people would be moaning about the constant lag they suffered using the HD version.
Typical MacRumors User said:
My IPoD Touch keaps lagging and stuff stupid thing!11! good is 160Gigs of storage if it takes uber-forever to work. why dosent apple give us another flash based one???

Retired
May 16, 2006
just to make it clear, I did not insult anyone, I just complained about the consistent whining that's going on on these boards, no matter what apple gives us, some ppl always complain....sometimes I think some ppl just complain for the sake of complaining.....And not being able to choose from 16 gb of music is just ridiculous.....

No its not ridiculous. Remember that your 16GB worth of songs will equate to much more for people who feel they need higher quality audio.

I have a 40GB collection. I put the best 15GB on my (you guessed it, 15GB) iPod. However sometimes I'm out and am in the mood for a song in my Library that just didn't cut it onto my iPod.

anti-microsoft

macrumors 68000
Dec 15, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
I think apple will get rid of the HDD's eventually and I think they will get rid of the click wheel eventually but

The iPod will never be the same without a click wheel!

Even if its a virtual one!!

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap

Now, this is just plain stupid :(

First, think quality. I cannot stand the mp3 format, or any compressed lossy encoding - I can hear it, and it sucks. I like to hear my music at full lossless encoding. That means Apple Lossless, which is only about 50% smaller than regular wav files... in other words, that 600MB CD is now a 300MB worth of files. So the entire 16GB will only hold about 50 CDs. Maybe YOU can get by on 50 CDs, but I can't. Many of us like to listen to our iPods not through headphones, but like having the iPod hooked up to a stereo system - it's a great juke box.

So let's talk about music to carry around. I have over 5000 CDs. Do I need all of them with me on the iPod? If I had a choice YES! YES! YES! Why? Because I'm passionate about music, and I'd like to be able to pick exactly the one CD for the mood of the moment. And on a much more practical note... when I get together with my friends, at their place or mine, we end up talking music at some point, every time. It would be wonderful to be able to play the exact CD your are discussing, instead of how it has to be done today "umm, I'll have to remember to bring this particular CD next time I swing by" NO. I want to play it RIGHT NOW. And it can be any of the 5000+ CDs. So, encoding with Apple Lossless at 50% compression, it would take about 1.5TB of space. The 16GB of iPod Touch... it's not even a drop in the bucket.

And we're just getting started. Just this summer I took a 3 week tour of our national parks. I took over 12000 photos. Each photo is 6MB. That's 72GB. I have a special device I download my pictures to when travelling - it holds 120GB. I'd love to do it on the iPod - one less device to carry.

I like to use the iPod as an external drive too. I like to back up big files. And I have a lot of them.

And we haven't even mentioned music videos or films.

You want to know how much storage I'd like in an iPod? How about 3TB? That would be a good start.

Maybe you are satisfied with the 16GB, just like Gates was alleged to have said "640K software is all the memory anybody would ever need on a computer"... see how stupid that sounds today? You sound even more stupid with that 16GB. There is an absolute need for more space on an iPod. And it will come. One day we will have 3TB iPods. At which point, there will be an ovewhelming pressing need for 25TB iPods. And if Apple won't deliver, someone will. Marketplace demand always wins.

Just because you can't conceive of anyone needing more than 640K - pardon me, 16GB,<lol> space on an iPod, doesn't mean anything else other than YOU HAVE AN IMAGINATION OF A GNAT. Ciao!

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
so much complaining around here... but I guess people are always going to whine, someone on iLounge was complaining that the iPod Touch doesn't have a speaker so he can watch movies in bed without having to put headphones on....

Boika

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2007

Ok you have to remember an ipod is for playing music on the go. 160 GB = 40,000 songs. How does 40,000 dongs fall short?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.