Holiday books

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by millar876, Jun 29, 2006.

1. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

Hi, im going on holiday soon and i'm looking for a good fiction book to pass the time, please give me some recomendations.

i've read all the harry potters (sad for a 23 y/o bloke with no kids but meeh!) and i liked them, i also liked the Halo books ('the fall of reach' 'the flood' & 'first strike') i tride to reed a few of Dan Brown's (DaVinchi Code guy) got bored, gave up and settled for the movie, and last year on holiday i enjoyed Dune, and one of the Star wars books (cant remember the name), but it was, i think, the middle one of a 3 part series that involved a jedi academy and i think somthing called the sun crusher and maybe hans kids (it might be 2 diffrent books, but its the one with the sun crusher i liked best)

so now you have an idea of what i like and don't, please help. going book shoping on saturday 01/July/06 for my holiday on 06/July/06

and whats the names of the books in the trilogy above.

p.s. anyone been to Sharm El Sheikh before?

2. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

read some john steinbeck. my favorite's "east of eden" but "of mice and men," "the grapes of wrath," and "the pearl" are good too.
    a couple other of my favorites that are sort of short are "the bell jar" and "1984." if you havent read those i definitely recommend you do.
    if you're looking for something funny i believe dave barry (an american humor writer) has a couple of books out including a novel, and "naked pictures of famous people" by john stewart is very laugh-out-loud funny, but the cover's a bit awkward if other people are with you.

edit: i see you like science fiction. have you read the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy trilogy (its technically a quintology)? it's very funny and good, and there's a movie that's been made of it.

3. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

If you never read it: Princess Bride.

I read it every summer. It's my favorite book.

4. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

I enjoyed Cannery Row by Steinbeck. The Dave Barry novel I really liked was 'Big Trouble' but his books based on his column are pretty good. I've read 'Naked Pictures..." and it is really funny. It's a collection of just short stories Jon is an awesome writer, his other book "America: The Book" is hiliarous though its written like a text book and is still in hard cover so not good for reading when you're on vacation/holiday.

I'd recommend Hitchhiker's too if you're in to sci/fi.

One of my favorite authors is Carl Hiaasen. Hes pretty fun kinda of in the same vein as Dave Barry though a little more serious I guess. If you had to pick one of his novels I say you'd be good with "Sick Puppy" or "Stormy Weather".

5. millar876 thread starter macrumors 6502a

millar876

i have 1984 and love it, i read "of mice and men" years ago for my standard grade (big exam for age 14-16 in 3rd & 4th yeat of secondry/high school in Scotland) and ive only listned to the unabridged audiobook of hitchikers. got to love Audible.com, out before iTMS and because of favourable exchange rates £-$ it undercuts them to.

keep em comin'

6. millar876 thread starter macrumors 6502a

millar876

i got myself, Starwars - revenge of tbhe sith, and the hitchickers guide to the galaxy trillogy of 4. I also got the lord of the rings (fellowship, two towers, and return of the king in one big book) and the Silmarillion