Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spine

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2005
warwick RI
an Apple based cell phone really won't compete with the full line of iPods even if it is an MP3 player too. (oh and not to nit-pick, but Apple can't and won't use the name iPhone for any cell phone they release since its an actual product made by Cisco systems)

The iPhone is obviously just the code name we're all used to.
If I was in the market for a new nano, I would be waiting until January.
If I bought one for xmas, and a nano-like iPhone came out, I would be frustrated. That's all I am saying...

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
I am not 100% sure but I think on Windows it doesn't even see the iPods as storage devices. I was able to mount a shuffle but not the disk-based iPod. Maybe that has changed in the last year.

It does not initially, the user has to "enable disk usage" to make the iPod appear as a removable Hard Disk that Windows recognizes. I don't understand why it's really an option because it doesn't take away functionality but...:confused:

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
It does not initially, the user has to "enable disk usage" to make the iPod appear as a removable Hard Disk that Windows recognizes. I don't understand why it's really an option because it doesn't take away functionality but...:confused:

It does, auto-disconnect of the iPod after syncing is disabled.

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland
So who's eating crow now? The Register is it? How can iTunes have a 400+% increase in sales when iTunes is in hot water falling out of profit? Hmm....

Err... An increase in sales does not always translate into an increase in profits.

If Apple sells a tune for $.99, but the music studio takes $.90 and the operating costs are $.10, then Apple is making a loss and any incease in sales will translate into a bigger loss.

As it is, Apple reputedly just sneaks over covering their costs, so an increse in sales will see a small increase in profits

This is complicated by the fact that the operating costs are not a liniear translation of volume, so fewer sales would doubtless mean a higher per-song operating cost (the lables are not going to swallow that part and will expect a fixed amount per song).

All of which is irrelevant as the story sounds like it is talking about the number of visitors to the site. This is a missleadng figure because...

1. It may be people visiting the site to download iTunes (which is no longer distributed with Nano and Suffles) - and all accounts are that the new Shuffle has been selling shead-loads (another victory for Apple design team there).

2. When you fire iTunes up for the first time I think it takes you to the music store - so much like Microsoft's home page being the most visited one on the net (cause it is the default in explorer) you are going to get a lot of hits by people who never actually wanted to go there in the first place.

Always remember there are lies, damn lies, and statistics. These are statistics. Wait for the next financial statment to really see how things are going.

Follow the money.

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
I am not 100% sure but I think on Windows it doesn't even see the iPods as storage devices. I was able to mount a shuffle but not the disk-based iPod. Maybe that has changed in the last year.

I think that would be an easy setting change on Apple's part though. I think they were right to drop the CD, but they could have at least included a copy of the software on the unit. Then the software can offer to make it a non-drive unit once the software is running. It might have saved them quite a bit in bandwidth costs and reduce the site hammering doing it this way.

Quboid

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2006
everywhere
Does all the xmas iPods mean poor sales for an iPhone?

I'll buy an ifone if it's good enough. Apple cannot expect to aim the iPhone at the portable players market, its aimed at the Music phone market. Which to me are two different markets.

Some folks just prefer to listen to music from their phones i guess.

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
Always remember there are lies, damn lies, and statistics. These are statistics. Wait for the next financial statment to really see how things are going.

That's true. It's a statistic but a completely useless one at that and it has strong potential for misleading interpretations.

BTW: the owner's cut on a music track is reputed to be around $0.60 each, not $0.90. A cut higher than 0.70 would almost mean certain loss. The minimum credit card transaction fee is often around $0.25.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Since Apple is a SERVER company, why not add a bunch of servers just before known big sales events like Christmas and MWSF?

Or is this really a situation where all of the pipes were full?

Why not sub-out iTunes downloads (and software updates) (no insurmountable security concerns) to outside vendors during rush times?

Rocketman

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
Since Apple is a SERVER company, why not add a bunch of servers just before known big sales events like Christmas and MWSF?

Or is this really a situation where all of the pipes were full?
It's probably not a server problem. I think it is more likely a bandwidth problem, and Apple is not an ISP.

Why not sub-out iTunes downloads (and software updates) (no insurmountable security concerns) to outside vendors during rush times?

Apple uses Akamai for that, almost all the time. If you block Akamai, you almost can't even use Apple's sites at all.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
It's probably not a server problem. I think it is more likely a bandwidth problem, and Apple is not an ISP.

Apple uses Akamai for that, almost all the time. If you block Akamai, you almost can't even use Apple's sites at all.

They did buy the $50m Worldcom telecom center and that was the world record bandwidth location in the world when it was built. It apears Apple is either not using it at all, or to any significant degree yet. Probably waiting for ApplePhone and TrueVideoiPod.

Video downloads are really going to clog the pipe.

Rocketman

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Okay, okay, I'll be the first to say...

What about the Zune? Isn't it killing the iPod?

Maybe because of the Zune, the iPod was not expected to do well at all, and it did anyways, which surprised most people...

(I earlier flushed some stuff down the toilet that was the same color as one of the Zunes...)

kcmac

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
I didn't buy any iPods for Christmas but I bought over $200 of itunes music coupons and album gifts. The slowdown on the 25th was incredible. All downloading nicely now.

I think Apple had great holiday sales. My hardware purchases are still waiting for iTV and whatever may be associated with it as well as the phone.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
The only downside to not including the CDs with the 'Pods is that for the folks that still use dial up its almost impossible to download iTunes. Although that population is dwindling, and I am thankfully not part of it.

Not impossible, takes about an hour - no big deal.

jonharris200

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
London, UK
Whatever the true reason(s) for the increased hits, one thing is certain: Apple is selling shed-loads of iPods.

Anecdotal evidence, but somebody I know bought an iPod nano for both his daughters, a third for his wife and a fourth for his sister-in-law. Each one of the four nanos in a different colour, of course.

If only my Christmas shopping were that easy?! :D

FrankBlack

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
Looking for Lucy Butler
Don't forget the gift cards for the itunes music store. I understand about a zillion of them were sold this year.

The Zune: It will be interesting to see how that progresses. One thing is certain: M$ won't give up on it easily.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka

They did buy the $50m Worldcom telecom center and that was the world record bandwidth location in the world when it was built. It apears Apple is either not using it at all, or to any significant degree yet. Probably waiting for ApplePhone and TrueVideoiPod.

Video downloads are really going to clog the pipe.

Rocketman

Akamai is used for, essentially, 'load balancing' popular sites - many companies use it. However for services such as the iTunes Store, I doubt Akamai is used, because of the need for encryption and more control over where content and the suchlike ends up - movie studios and music labels probably demand that their products are kept fresh and close to the chest. Which is probably why they bought the Worldcom centre.

Rocketman

macrumors 603

Maybe because of the Zune, the iPod was not expected to do well at all, and it did anyways, which surprised most people...

(I earlier flushed some stuff down the toilet that was the same color as one of the Zunes...)

30:1 in favor of Apple over Microsoft.

The tables are turned.

Rocketman

Rocketman

macrumors 603
The slowdown on the 25th was incredible. All downloading nicely now.

This points out the limits of the internet itself. Apple has tested it in 2006. We need Internet 2.0 (Fiber).

Verizon has FiOS. Nortel has massive dark fiber. My brother installed it.

The capacity for future WiMax and Satellite and fiber in the ground is astounding.

The so-called internet bubble was not a bubble at all. It was a fortaste (religious reference) of internet to come. It would be here NOW if not for the Clinton/Greenspan intentional crash of 1999 on the pretense of an "internet bubble". (crashed the whole stock market, liquidating real people's retirement funds widely).

I claim to be an expert on this topic BTW.

Ask me to do TV segments on it. . . . .

Rocketman

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004

What planet you on? The Zune was never predicted to be a threat to the iPod, at least not anytime soon. Also Zune is WAY behind the iPod in terms of unit volume and farther behind in terms of revenue.

celavato

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2005
iPod Phone

If Apple does release an iPod phone, I predict that the company will name it ... iPod phone. Think about the names of its previous product extensions -- iPod mini, iPod nano, iPod shuffle. Apple is pretty consistent when naming its products. You heard it here first.

savanahrose

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2006
greer SC
I got my husband the 30 gb ipod. The funny thing is is that he was saving up to get me one. lol

Now he doesn't have to. I told him to get a good bose speaker system for it. Maybe he can find one from rockford.

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
Akamai is used for, essentially, 'load balancing' popular sites - many companies use it. However for services such as the iTunes Store, I doubt Akamai is used, because of the need for encryption and more control over where content and the suchlike ends up - movie studios and music labels probably demand that their products are kept fresh and close to the chest. Which is probably why they bought the Worldcom centre.

I don't know how they do it now, but in the past, tracks were sent to the iTunes software unencrypted because of the caching service if I recall the report correctly. This is how one of the hacks worked to buy unencrypted tracks, it intercepted the data stream and saved the file. That has been changed though. It can concievably be encrypted on the cache servers and then re-encrypted by the local program. If it's cracked, replace the files with new encryption.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.