Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

povman

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2006
Australia
All this iTunes rubbish is clogging up the tube; people putting their messages in line and getting delayed by anyone that puts into that tube enormous amounts of material, enormous amounts of material.

Maybe that's why my internets are taking so long to send.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
My Video iPod Just Froze Up

Anyone know the solution to a video iPod that is suddenly stuck on "Do Not Disconnect" and won't go dark nor respond to any combination of held down keys? Thanks. :eek: :(

Just back from a trip to Chicago where it performed flawlessly the whole trip.

Solution is Center + Menu buttons held together unlock it. The iPod automated phone support taught me that. That's one combination I hadn't tried before.

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
Don't forget the gift cards for the itunes music store. I understand about a zillion of them were sold this year.

I actually got 4 gift cards this year for itunes. I gave 3 this year. Its amazing how 1 product is so popular, when 6 years ago, it didnt exist.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
However for services such as the iTunes Store, I doubt Akamai is used, because of the need for encryption
Guess you've not heard how iTMS really works (at least for audio).

Until v 6.0 the files were sent unencrypted and personalized on the client machine. DVD Jon used this in his Linux iTMS client. Since 6.0 they are encrypted with a common key and still personalized locally.

B

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
No, With the new small plastic packaging there is no way a CD could possibly fit inside the package. Both the Nano and the Shuffle come in a package that is roughly 1.25 x 1.25 x 4 inches on a side. I think the full size iPods come in larger packages that might allow a CD to go inside.

Two Words: 7cm CDs.

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
Err... An increase in sales does not always translate into an increase in profits.

If Apple sells a tune for $.99, but the music studio takes $.90 and the operating costs are $.10, then Apple is making a loss and any incease in sales will translate into a bigger loss.

Actually Apple is making a miniscule profit on each song. Labels are getting 66ish cents per song.

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
It's actually 8cm last I remember. 7cm is still about twice as wide as the nano packaging, so it doesn't work.

The point is moot because I tried it with my girlfriend's Nano box. It fits, but I was thinking of the business card CD's, 60mm wide. It fits, barely, but Apple would never use them because too many of apple products use slot loading CD drives and micro CD's can wreak havoc with those.

marco114

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2001
USA
maybe next year macs?

That would be cool next year if a report comes out about Macs like this.. With all the other stuff Apple is producing, they are not putting all their eggs in one basket and they are diversifying really well. Now going into Video and the Phone markets. Apple is becoming a Sony.

I think it's just a matter of time before Apple licenses the OS to PC Manufacturers. That will be the last blow to M$.

:)

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
The point is moot because I tried it with my girlfriend's Nano box. It fits, but I was thinking of the business card CD's, 60mm wide. It fits, barely, but Apple would never use them because too many of apple products use slot loading CD drives and micro CD's can wreak havoc with those.

There's always the possibility that slot-loading drives will start being able to deal with smaller discs now that the Wii has shown a working version of this technology. You bet someone at M a t s h i t a is putting together prototype 'Superdrives' of this nature right now.

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
California.
Anyone know the solution to a video iPod that is suddenly stuck on "Do Not Disconnect" ...

Solution is Center + Menu buttons held together unlock it. The iPod automated phone support taught me that...

Heh. i use that at least once a day now with my 3g ipod. I'm just waiting for MWSF to pull the trigger on a new 80gb or better ipod.

Combined player / backup here I come.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
I personally have been in a holding pattern on a new iPod until MWSF. Along with in car integration for my Prius as well. (Since there is every possibility any new iPod would break the integration.) So Christmas this year was lite on gifts. *shrugs*

There's always the possibility that slot-loading drives will start being able to deal with smaller discs now that the Wii has shown a working version of this technology. You bet someone at M a t s h i t a is putting together prototype 'Superdrives' of this nature right now.

Logitec's portable burner slot loads 8cm discs

popesammyjoe

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2006
Don't Believe the 400%

What do you do when you go to a website and it doesn't respond? You go to it again. And maybe again. So, I don't doubt that iTunes traffic may have been up significantly, but I think the 400% number grossly misrepresents the actual increase in iTunes usage. Let's see if Apple's 4Q results show a 400% increase in iTunes-generated sales over the same period last year. I doubt it.

-Sam

(3 Macs and 3 iPods in the family and growing ...)

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
I think it's just a matter of time before Apple licenses the OS to PC Manufacturers. That will be the last blow to M$.

:)

:rolleyes: No they won't. The reason why MS is hurting, relatively speaking of course, is because they have sold licenses to pretty much everyone. No one is upgrading because for many 2K and XP are good enough. (As long as you have the holy four installed.) The only reason they do upgrade is when they buy new hardware. And that is where Apple makes their bread and butter. I'm so sick of people saying this. It makes absolutely NO sense for Apple. Estimates already suggest that there is going to be a huge explosion of Mac sales in '07. And their profits hardly suggest that Apple is hurting either. There is simply NO reason for Apple to license OS X. None what so ever.
The only people who keep this hope alive are:

1. Fanbois who want MS dead for petty reasons.

2. People too cheap to buy a Mac to begin with but are still willing to spend half a grand on a PC.

3. People who want to dabble in OS X but don't want to dive in.

All three are minorities. And will become even greater minorities as we get farther and farther into the Intel transition where Macintels show up uber cheap on Ebay. #3 can then go and buy a first gen Mac Mini for pocket change and still get a pretty good idea what it's like to run OS X. As for one and two. *shrugs*

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
:rolleyes: No they won't. The reason why MS is hurting, relatively speaking of course, is because they have sold licenses to pretty much everyone. No one is upgrading because for many 2K and XP are good enough. (As long as you have the holy four installed.)

What is the "holy four"? I've never seen it mentioned anywhere.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
What is the "holy four"? I've never seen it mentioned anywhere.

Its just my term. :D

Firewall, Antivirus, Patches, and Firefox (With Adblock installed) Takes care of 99.987% of the issues with Windows IMHO.

PS- OK you might want to ad secure, good mail client to that....holy five then? :p :D

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
Huh? Wha?? Zune has a web site. Why? I have not seen the site but I did catch the LAME Zune commercial on TV and man was it bad. How are they selling these or more to the point who are they selling this to? You may not want an iPod but I can't see how you could want a Zune.

AppleIntelRock

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
Does all the xmas iPods mean poor sales for an iPhone?

I don't think so. I think that possibly this is a good time for the iPhone to come out. By the holiday season of 2007, many companies will have it, and it will be easy to find. Cell phones are a little harder to get in people's hands then ipods because they carry contracts with them- and if they don't, a high price tag soon follows.

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
The only downside to not including the CDs with the 'Pods is that for the folks that still use dial up its almost impossible to download iTunes. Although that population is dwindling, and I am thankfully not part of it.

14 yr old friend of my in-laws got a Nano for Christmas and a Vvvvvvvvery slow dial-up connection. it took a good 3 hrs plus to download the 35MB file (2kbps) although once she was installed and up and running things were pretty peachy.

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland
Huh? Wha?? Zune has a web site. Why? I have not seen the site but I did catch the LAME Zune commercial on TV and man was it bad. How are they selling these or more to the point who are they selling this to? You may not want an iPod but I can't see how you could want a Zune.

More interesting is the fact that MicroSoft chose not to push the Zune out world wide. Thus the iPod has had yet another Xmas salse frenzy in the UK without serious competition - which is going to make it that mauch harder for Microsoft to acheive any kind of market penetration when/if they do put the Zune out.

Also interesting to look at sales patterns... It is the Nano and the new Shuffle (especially the new Shuffle) that are really selling - not the iPod (though they have been moving off the shevles too - so they still have a market). If the US market is anything like the UK (and rest of the world0, then in targeting the "top end" with the Zune, Microsoft have ignored the largest part of their potential market.

Even if a second generation Zune were to be a far better product if/when released to the "rest of the world", letting the iPod get further entrenched cannot be a good idea.

Of course there has to be a saturation point in the portable media player market. One of the reasons the Nano and Shuffle are doing so well is that all the people who would spend all that money on an iPod - have. Now the Nano offeres the same key functionality (video is not an important feature it would appear - perhaps if the iTunes Store had something worth buying it would be different - but probably not). The Nano is also withing the budget of many more - so it is selling to all the people who wanted an iPod but could not find the coin for one. How long before that market is saturated remains to be seen.

Then we have the Shuffle. All that iPod goodness in a small and inexpensive package that is perfect as a stocking-filler or incidental gift.

The qustion is indeed - Who would buy a Zune????

For the record, I own an 1st Gen Nano. I had never thought I would buy an iPod of any description, but I was in the process of switching over to the Mac platform when the Nano was released. I had been impressed with my Mac, so when SJ pulls out a compact little player (not the big clunky iPods we were familiar with) it was an instant sell. Kind of a reverse Halo effect... Anyway - I've been doing a lot of traveling over the last year and that Nano has proven to have been a real good investment - allowing me to keep my sanity while waiting for uncounted flights. I'm not planning on buying another iPod (this Nano will do fine for another year or two). I'm not interested in the full size 5G or a future video iPod (I have to carry around a laptop and that can play video far better if I need it), and a Zune really brings nothing new to the table (even if I could buy one - which I can't).

MegaSignal

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
This points out the limits of the internet itself. Apple has tested it in 2006. We need Internet 2.0 (Fiber).

Verizon has FiOS. Nortel has massive dark fiber. My brother installed it.

The capacity for future WiMax and Satellite and fiber in the ground is astounding.

The so-called internet bubble was not a bubble at all. It was a fortaste (religious reference) of internet to come. It would be here NOW if not for the Clinton/Greenspan intentional crash of 1999 on the pretense of an "internet bubble". (crashed the whole stock market, liquidating real people's retirement funds widely).

I claim to be an expert on this topic BTW.

Ask me to do TV segments on it. . . . .

Rocketman

Wow. If this is true, I feel both angry and enlightened at the same time.

BTW, I think you should do a TV segment on it! (Intentional crash - that really chaps my hide...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.