Holiday Parties

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr. Anderson, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So I'm off to 4 parties tonight with my wife. Going to be ending up at a neighbors, where I will actually start my drinking - doing the designated driver thing tonight.

One of the reasons, aside from the obvious, is that last year the US Park Police set up road blocks on the George Washington Parkway near National Airport and were stopping all the cars and checking for drunk driving. Amazing!

So anyone else going party hopping tonight or tomorrow (we have 2 tomorrow and another on Sunday)

D :D

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Those of my mum's family in Floriduh already met last Saturday for an evening meal, some sweets, and gifts.

Hopefully, everyone who celebrates this time of year will have a happy time. :)

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

I know there is such a thing as having too much time on your hands, but 4 parties sounds quite tempting. :D

Do they come with backstage passes? :D

We won't have much of a party, if anything. Relatives will be over at our house on the day, much like on turkey day, and they'll be sure to have some gifts for the family.

As for us, screw the passes...we own the house, and the reusable plastic tree. :p :eek:

4. superkatalog macrumors regular

we had only one party tonight. my grandfather turned 91! i'm quite drunk now...:D :D :p

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I for one am battered after our christmas drinks tonight ;) :D

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I have been to only one party, had a great time. No ETOH, but I don't drink. There was a pot luck dinner, singing, & a yankee swap! Was happy with what I ended up with!

7. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Only made it to 3, the first one was fantastic! It was the at the house of the CEO of my wifes company and they had a sushi chef there making sushi all night - I think I went back about 4 times. Mmmmm.

So tomorrow another two, woohoo!

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

May I ask what a yankee swap is?

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It's a New England traditon at Christmas time parties. All the guests at the party bring a gift, its suppose to be something that you already have at home and don't need anymore. Your suppose to wrap the gift. Each guest draws a number from a hat. Everyone that brought a gift selects a gift. Person number one opens their gift. Then person #2 opens their gift, if they like what #1 got better than theirs then they take the gift from #1. Each guest does the same process, they can choose among all the other gifts. Everyone is suppose to hold up their gift for viewing. When the last numbered person opens their gift, then they can also decide whether to trade or not. Guest #1 then looks over all the gifts and can decide if they want to trade with someone. These trades are mandatory. As you can see having a high number is beneficial, having the ability to choose from more gifts. But most preferable is the be #1. Usually their are one or two gifts that are coveted by everyone, large candles as an example, certain items just catch on as prized gifts. After the official Yankee Swap if their are 2 willing guests, another trade can be made. My wife likes spices and was able to make a trade. Since my last name is Love, I was able to trade for a set of Love Candles. ;)

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Thanks for explaining. It's the same game my family plays every year, except we call it the white elephant game. We all bring wrapped items, something that is not junk and that we had around the house, not something newly purchased.

Round 1: We sit in a circle with all gifts in the middle of the floor. We take turns rolling a pair of dice. If you get 7 or 11 or doubles you get to grab any gift in the open area and put it in front of you. Some people end up with nothing, some with one or a few items. People go for the gifts that are nice-looking, which for men seems to mean big and for women seems to mean small. This round ends when all gifts are taken.

Round 2: We set a 10-minute timer and continue passing the dice. This time you get to steal any still-wrapped gift from anyone else when you get 7 or 11 or doubles. Because of the timer, people have to make fast decisions and everyone is popping up to run across the room and steal what they covet. Certain items always turn out to be most popular and get stolen back and forth. This round ends when the timer goes off.

Round 3: Everyone opens their gifts. Reactions range from "hey, look at this" to "what the heck?". We go around the circle and everyone has to describe the items they ended up with, e.g., "I have some kind of combination fingernail clipper/flashlight/pencil sharpener thing that says 'Free with every purchase' on it". Listening to the youngest family members describe what they got is the most fun.

Round 4: We reset the timer to 10 minutes and continue passing the dice. Again you steal if you get 7 or 11 or doubles, but this time you know what you are getting. The guy with the fingernail clipper/flashlight/pencil sharpener is likely to get stuck with it, but the package of gourmet microwave popcorn might change hands a number of times. When the timer goes off, the game is over and you keep what you end up with.

The most important rule, out of courtesy to the host of the party: You must take home what you got, and not "accidentally" leave it when you depart!

I'm better at wrapping something so that people will want it in Round 2 than I am in finding items they will want in Round 4. I've come home with a wicker birdcage, a giant chocolate pacifier, a Pigmania game, and once, matching the name of game, a statue of a white elephant!

11. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

We had a nice, cozy party for work at our place last night. Just family and friends, pot luck...

A nice relaxing evening. :)

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Thank you Doctor Q for sharing your family game. I'm sure that there is a variation of this in every part of the country. I find it interesting to share them.

13. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The two parties tonight were much easier to handle than the ones last night and tonight I got to drink, my wife was the DD - so maybe I should be posting on the have you ever been drunk thread.....

But the first one was actually a Winter Solstice party - nice change from all the others, even though its basically just an excuse to get people together - but today is the longest night of the year and people up north are getting even shorter days. Up in Alaska at one of the sites my company is working at they only have a few hours of sun light.

Happy Solstice everybody!

14. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I am going to my grandparent's house for christmas, like my
    family and I usually do, and we are going to celebrate X-mas
    there. Not exactly a party, but can be fun nonetheless.

15. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

u know...I feel like I have no life...

I wasn't invited to a single party this year...heh...

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

eyelikeart you should try to get involved in volunteer activities. Both of the parties that I attended are a result of volunteering. Its a way to be active and help others that are in need at the same time. Will be at a volunteer activity New Years Eve also, serving those that want to get out of the cold at "First Night" activites.

17. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: u know...I feel like I have no life...

Oh, well, that's sucks, but hey, that just a perfect excuse to host your own!

I'll be having a New Year's Eve Eve Eve party (sort of an open house, drop by, have a drink, chat a little) nothing special, but a lot of fun and its usually a good time.

If you want to come up for it, your invited ;)

D