Holiday Wait Time

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by deckmoney, Dec 16, 2003.

1. deckmoney macrumors member

I bought a 14" iBook last Thursday night with standard ground shipping. The estimated delivery time was 5-7 days, so I was wondering if anyone had an idea on how long Apple typically takes to build and ship a machine, as well as the average time from Apple (CA I would assume?) to Pennsylvania. I know I bought an iPod from Apple and I got it 2 days later, but it was sent from a local office in PA, plus iPods are pre-built so I'm sure that also played into it. Anyways, I really don't want to get my hopes up on having it by Christmas if there isn't any possibility, so I was wondering if anyone has bought a Mac recently and received it yet? If so, when/what did you buy, and when did you receive it?

Thanks in advance!

2. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I ordered my Dual 1Ghz MDD about a year ago to the day. It was a custom build machine so that delays it a couple of days. I got the Apple 17" LCD first and tracked the cpu where it sat in the Hawaii FedEx for almost two days before finally being delivered. Since it is the holidays trust Apple will get it out the door, it's just up to FedEX whom I'm sure are swamped(i.e. my dad works for USPS) to deliver. I'll admit I was a little pissed at having my CPU being delivered later than the 2 day shipping considering the fact I was paying a little over a hundred dollars in shipping.

3. deckmoney thread starter macrumors member

So you ordered around Dec. 16, when did you receive the machine?

4. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

shipping took about five days. Remember though it sat in a warehouse to be delivered for two days. What method of shipping did you select?

5. deckmoney thread starter macrumors member

I used the standard ground (I didn't upgrade to 2-3 day shipping) shipping.

6. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Ah sorry I just skimmed over the first part of your original post neglecting to see that you already specified the method of shipping. I've never been able to get ground shipping since no FedEx or UPS truck can cross the Pacific so your guess is as good as mine. In my experiences Apple is quick about getting your custom built orders out the door. I know I for one tracked the hell out of my shipment when it left California.

7. cmk macrumors newbie

I ordered a BT 15" PB Saturday December 6, 2003 via the Apple Education Store. I asked for ground shipping. I was told it would ship in 5-7 days with ground delivery 7-10 days later.

Much to my surprise, I received an email Monday (December 8) saying my PB had been shipped via FED EX.

FED EX tried to deliver on Wednesday, failed. I received my PB on Thursday December 11.

I have no idea why Apple sent it FED EX but it sure is a nice Christmas present!

8. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

9. deckmoney thread starter macrumors member

Good, that gives me hope that I'll receive my iBook before Christmas. However, December 6th isn't nearly as hectic as the time closer to Christmas is, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see! I'm so excited to play with OS X, I've never been on a Mac for more than 10 minutes, but I love the Unix core, the usability, STABLENESS (so I've read), and the look of Panther. I watched the WWDC speech (twice actually) and I thought Expose looked so useful, and I love the transition effect for Fast User Switching. I hope I'll love the other features as well!!!!

If you guys have any awesome sites, pictures, etc. please post the URLs, I read anything I can get my hands on!!!!!!

10. pinto32 macrumors 6502

I ordered a 12 inch BTO iBook on Monday (12/15) with the free (after rebate) printer. The printer was supposed to ship on Thursday (12/18), which it did, from the Apple Store in King of Prussia, and it arrived on Friday (12/19). My iBook, on the other hand, was originally estimated to ship on Friday (12/19), but has now slipped to next Friday (12/26). Considering its coming from Taiwan via ground shipping, I'm not expecting it until 2004. But, hey, its worth the wait! :D

11. deckmoney thread starter macrumors member

My iBook was shipped on the December 17th from Taiwan and it was on my doorstep here in Pennsylvania on the 18th (don't ask how, I don't understand it either). Fedex was pretty quick about everything, especially since I selected the ground mailing option.

By the way, my new 14" iBook G4 kicks ass!

12. pinto32 macrumors 6502

I just checked my order status.....apperantly my iBook has been shipped via Priority Overnight!!!! I hope this is true!!!! If it is, I'll let you know tomorrow, when I am surfin macrumors in Safari :D

13. pinto32 macrumors 6502

Yes, it appears as if Apple is the greatest company ever.....My iBook shipped last night, and will be here no later than 4:30 PM on Christmas Eve! Hope anyone else in the same situation gets the same surprise as me!

14. willab macrumors newbie

My dual G5 was upgraded from free 2-3 to priority overnight also, but it doesn't ship until the 29th. What company shipped yours?

15. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

ordered iPod on the 18, it shipped the 20th, supposed to be delivered by FedEx on the 24th

Note: Student order in Canada

16. pinto32 macrumors 6502

I ordered mine direct from Apple on the Online Applestore. Its being shipped via Fed Ex.