Holidays & Working Hours

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mpw, Sep 28, 2006.

1. mpw Guest

Just been given some extra holidays from next year and wondered how my deal stacked up with everyone else’s.

I get

28days Paid Vacation
    9days Paid Public Holidays

and work

40Hrs/week Mon.-Fri. (normally work 50+ but unpaid overtime)

What about y’all?

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Well, mine shouldn't really count because I work at CNRS in France and it's ridiculous.

Officially 40 hours/week, although usually closer to 45-50. Summer time may vary:)

In addition to the 12-14 official French holidays, we get 45 days of paid vacation. I don't believe sick leave counts against this, either.

Sweet.

3. mpw thread starter Guest

***king French!

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

We accrue 320 hours of paid time off annually, which is 40 days. However, the 6 "official" holidays that we get are taken out of that balance as well (one must take PTO [paid time off] for holidays). Of course, because I've been at my job for so long (almost 12 years) I accrue the most amount of PTO possible.

The same for me..

I should also note that PTO accounts for sick time, berevement time, jury duty, etc as well.

Our holidays are: New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.

5. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

mpw, that sounds pretty good to me. How long have you been at that job?

I've been where I'm at for two years, and, since the beginning have had 25 days per year, which includes the 6 major holidays here (Christmas, New Year's, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving), sick days, and vacation. I don't find that to be too bad, as it means I get about 3 weeks (15 days) of true vacation a year, after the others are discounted.

The job before this one gave me a week, but only after a year, and if the holidays messed with the publication (a newspaper) I had to work extra hours. Quite the step up...although, as already evidenced, others get way more than I do! :)

In addition, I "only" work 40 hours per week. I'm salaried, I haven't needed to work more than 40 hours since starting.

6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

10 holidays. 15 days of vacation. 3 (yup, only 3) days of sick leave. I am only in my first year at this job though, but at this place I'll have to be here 6 years to move up to 20 days of vacation a year! :(

Oh. I'm 40 hours/week (now). Overtime would be unpaid, but I almost never have to work it.

7. iGav macrumors G3

I don't get that. :(

Nor that either. :(

I do somewhere between 50-65 hours. :eek:

It's not all bad though I do usually take 2 months off every year, and I roughly earn the average monthly salary in a week.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Lets see... 9 paid holidays, and 10 vacation days, plus 10 sick days a year.

Much better than my last job. That guy gave me bupkus.

9. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Roughly 70 hours a week over 7 days including research time. I don't have weekends off as such.

No paid holidays.

Public holidays are rarely holidays for me. They're actually the time when I can get stuff done.

I don't actually pay myself that much either - a lot of money goes into R&D.

The compensation is having exactly the job I want.

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Fluffer? :D

I kid..

11. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

13. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Certainly not. How dare you for even suggesting it.

I develop the essential tools that allows my clients to go about their business, thank you very much.

14. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Ditto. Well, I've have to double-check on the holidays, but it's around 9 or 10 paid holidays. After three years of employment (which for me will be next April), I'll get bumped up to 15 vacation days per year.

I do software R&D, and typically work 40-50 hours per week.

15. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Research scientist, mainly semiconductors.

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I'm wondering if ribbon candy would work well.. not only does it have fantastic electrical capabilities, it's delicious!

17. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

15 days pd holidays, standard Canadian stat holidays, no sick days, but plenty of mental health days in liu of sick days. Sometimes I leave early 'cause I'm bored, like today. :p

18. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Two weeks at Christmas break, two months in the summer, several holidays (though some are working days), six personal days: I'm a teacher. :)

19. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

20 days paid vacation per year, plus 6 holidays (Christmas Eve/Christmas, Thanksgiving/day after, NYE/NYD). No sick time. My schedule is to work four days a week, however, so I suppose that means I get an extra 52 days a year off (although I am working 2 extra hours each day I do work). EDIT: Oh, and my paid vacation increases by one day each year (i.e., after one year I get 21 days, after two years I get 22 days, etc.) and every five years I get a ONE MONTH SABBATICAL. :)

At Microsoft I used to get 20 days vacation + 10 sick days (which usually got used as "mental health days"), plus 10 holidays + 2 floating holidays.

20. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

20 days paid vacation (15 days until we complete 4 years in the company, 20 after that).
    10 days paid public holidays.
    After completing 4 years in the company, we get 6 weeks paid vacation called hibernation (in addition to the above).

We can carry over upto 30 days of paid vacation into the next year. Sick leave isn't counted against vacation either.

Officially, we have flexi time (no fixed hours per week), but realistically, I seem to be working 50-60 hours per week, plus coming in on weekends (Saturdays and/or Sundays) at crunch times. :mad:

I am a software developer.

21. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

22. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

37.5 hours a week (with the occasional few hours of unpaid overtime in the busy season). 12 Paid Holidays + Primary and General Election Days off. The hours are very flexible, as long as you get your work done. 12 Days of Vacation per year (with bonus days after 5, 10, & 20 years), 3 personal days, and 9 sick days. All except the personal days carry over to the next year. My old job gave me 22 vacation days per year, but the 60 hour work weeks and endless night meetings were killing me.

I am an entomologist with the state Department of Natural Resources.

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I usually do about six months a year for money.

24. iGary Guest

iGary

I can't afford to take vacation days.

28 days, though, MPW - that's awesome.

*kinda hopes some job applications pan out into interviews*

I loves me some benefits.

25. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

How long have you worked for these folks?

I get a tiny 9 holidays and 4 floaters and
    3 weeks (15 days) vacation - 2 more years to 4
    Work the basic 40 hours - more if needed...been at this place for 10 years