Holly speed Batman!!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mymemory, Aug 16, 2003.

1. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Well, all of you know I'm stuck with my Powerbooks G3 500. Well, yesterday I made a test.

I had an After Effects animation with about 14 tracks and 5 compositions one inside the other full of effects, it was so heavy that my Pismo couldn't give me a preview of the frame without turning off a bunch of them (tracks) first.

Well, the render of the 30 seconds animation took about 1 hour and 15 minutes.

I took my computer yesterday, connected via firewire to a 12" Powerbook with 256MB of Ram too (using mine as a firewire salve machine), I opened up After Effects from that computer and I started up the render the same file, guess how long did it take to render???

9 minutes and 45 seconds!!! that in less than the preview to ram of the same file in my Pismo.

I do not even want to try that in a new G5. I just know I have to get a new 12" or something like that, that is the difference in speed I was looking for:rolleyes:

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

ahahaha! This from the man who said I'm never going to OSX!

Yeah, the speed is big deal and the G5s are another order of magnitude on top of that. I can't wait to get one :D

D

3. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I cannot wait to see actual real world speed figures posted once the G5s ship out...just imagine what a dual G5 and Panther will do.

4. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Tis indeed good (sitting here proud to be a 12" owner).

If these stories about G5 optimised code being faster for the G4 also pan out...it could get quite nice :D

Run pong with at least 100fps, maybe more.

:wink:

AppleMatt

5. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Hell yeah! I can now emulate those old Atari games even better! :D

6. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

not on the nVidia card they give you. The ATi has a chance though.

7. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

My friend does a lot of audio work, and the software he uses maxes out the processor on his duel 800 at work, and he can't even use it at home on his 500mhz powerbook. He tried the same software on the G5's at MWNY, and the processor was barely taxed at all. He said that the computer was so fast, that it was almost overkill unless you were doing serious graphics or audio work.

I can't wait to see one first hand!

8. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Now imagine what it will be like when software is written specifically for Panther and G5 optimised....

...it doesn't bear thinking about!

AppleMatt

9. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

mymemory

No, no, no, no... do not put words in my mouth, I'm talking about the speed not the OS. OSX file managment make you waiste more time opening windows and moving files from one place to the other and I'm talking about 3 times more time compared to Clasic file managment.

Let see what is new in the new update of X.

For now I just need to get a new mac, I actually sold my dual 500 because there was not too much diference between that and my Pismo, and I'm atlking about 10% in speed. But the 12" blow me away, that is a good jump and a good investment after 3 years.