Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
according to the site, its a completely new design, powerful, energy efficient

bg_image1.jpg

from pontiac. also coming soon from apple.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Since it is from Pontiac, somebody want to toss this car in the Wasteland where it belongs (especially considering the car it's replacing) -- or at least move the thread to Community Discussion.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
FuzzyBallz said:
Wow... I love last month's news. Maybe Apple will sue and get something back after losing all that money to to Apple Corp.

The news isn't from last month. It's either nine months old or older.

This car was displayed at the 2004 North American International Auto Show, held at the Cobo Center in Detroit back in January.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
This brings up a good point, doesnt Motorola or IBM or Apple own the rights to the trademark G6?

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
Yeah those cars are sexy, and oprah gave away 276 of them on her show!!!!!! how cool is that........The things you can do when you have money.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
vouder17 said:
Yeah those cars are sexy, and oprah gave away 276 of them on her show!!!!!! how cool is that........The things you can do when you have money.
actually they were donated by gm as a pr stunt

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
right, because being a 'japanese' car makes it good...
my toyota went through 5 mufflers in 10 years...
not to mention that japanese companies make their cars in the us now (nissan's in the south somewhere iirc).

Edot

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2002
NJ
x86isslow said:
not to mention that japanese companies make their cars in the us now (nissan's in the south somewhere iirc).

Dude mufflers are meant to wear out. Plus at most places you can get them replaced for free or next to nothing.

Tommy!

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2001
NH
Actually, GMs newer models are really good, they seem to be the first US company seeing what draws people to japanese cars. The Japanese make 3 times more profit off of their cars than GM who makes 3x as much as chrysler. Ford makes "no money" (on paper). Just a random fact.

Speaking of GM we should all be driving saabs!

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
x86isslow said:

What I meant by Japanese was Japanese designed cars, such as Toyota, Nissan, and Honda. I'm fully aware that many are made in the U.S. I own a Honda Accord which was built Ohio.

Japanese made cars consistently score MUCH better than American cars in Consumer Reports' annual auto issue. It pretty much shows you which cars are crap and which aren't. Most of those crap cars, albeit not all of them, are designed by American companies. GM is frequently on the very BOTTOM of the heap.

Personally, I prefer Honda/Acura. I'm looking to buy a Acura TSX here in the near future and interior quality and fit and finish is MILES and MILES ahead of anything I have seen recently in an American made car. The quality of the plastics and other materials is simply not the same.

crazytom

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
IL
Toe said:
How many gallons per mile?

It looks like it's estimated at 22 city/32 highway....a real American car. :rolleyes:

Something that will go really fast when you're not stuck in traffic, typically from 2am until 6am. :)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Celeron said:
GM is frequently on the very BOTTOM of the heap.

Although, they're at the top of the cheap, which is not to say that their cars are inexpensive. I've always been impressed when you put cheesy plastics in your more expensive cars that look just like your cheapest cars' plastics.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
bousozoku said:
Although, they're at the top of the cheap, which is not to say that their cars are inexpensive. I've always been impressed when you put cheesy plastics in your more expensive cars that look just like your cheapest cars' plastics.

Just in case you were referring to exterior plastics: The current design direction for Pontiac is away from cheesy plastics. The G6 has no extra plastic add-ons as Grand Ams have had in the past. The G6, GTO (rebadged Holden Monaro for you Australians), Solstice, Grand Prix and Bonneville all reflect the new, clean-lines look at Pontiac. If you were to put aside your Japanese cars-bias you could examine the picture at the beginning of this thread for cheesy plastics.

In case you were referring to interior plastics, current Cadillacs and Buicks have better plastics than the other lines, and within the other lines the upmarket cars have nicer interior plastics than the lower end ones (example: Corvette).

It's easy to knock American cars because of what that rolled off assembly lines before.

As Tommy! said, current American cars are way better than past American cars. Styling wise, American cars are way better than anything out of Japan (with one possible exception, the Honda S2000). Japanese cars tend to be plain in the styling department. Compare anything out of Japan to the Chrysler 300 / Dodge Magnum.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Rod Rod said:
Just in case you were referring to exterior plastics: The current design direction for Pontiac is away from cheesy plastics. The G6 has no extra plastic add-ons as Grand Ams have had in the past. The G6, GTO (rebadged Holden Monaro for you Australians), Solstice, Grand Prix and Bonneville all reflect the new, clean-lines look at Pontiac. If you were to put aside your Japanese cars-bias you could examine the picture at the beginning of this thread for cheesy plastics.

In case you were referring to interior plastics, current Cadillacs and Buicks have better plastics than the other lines, and within the other lines the upmarket cars have nicer interior plastics than the lower end ones (example: Corvette).

It's easy to knock American cars because of what that rolled off assembly lines before.

As Tommy! said, current American cars are way better than past American cars. Styling wise, American cars are way better than anything out of Japan (with one possible exception, the Honda S2000). Japanese cars tend to be plain in the styling department. Compare anything out of Japan to the Chrysler 300 / Dodge Magnum.

Thank God Pontiac finally abandoned that ugly, cheesy "cladding" crap. It does seem like the Big Three have made some serious efforts to improve at least the external design of their cars. I mean the Crossfire, 300M, and Magnum from Chrysler are all pretty slick, on the outside at least. And the new F150 is sweet, man. Makes me think about trading in my Tundra - not quite [Toyota truck with a V8? - pry it from my cold dead fingers].
Personally, I have more faith in the interior fit and finish and the overall mechanical durability of Honda, Toyota, and even Nisssan over the current American rides. I hope that, in the next few years, we find that US automakers close that perceived gap and get back to the top of the heap again. They already are taking the edge in exterior design.

iceTrX

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
Outside of Detroit.
Rod Rod said:

Well said.
I don't know how anyone can bash GM vehicles anymore as they are very affordable, and they have made significant quality improvements that may soon rival or surpass japanese auto manufactures (they have already passed european manufactures):
"The Domestics are putting their money where their mouths are in terms of consistent long-term quality improvement," said Joe Ivers, partner and executive director of quality/customer satisfaction at J.D. Power and Associates. "However, while the Domestics continue to outpace the Europeans in long-term quality, the Japanese continue to dominate."

GM's quality numbers seem to be catching up every year:
"General Motors, which improves 2 PP100, remains the only Domestic manufacturer ranking above the industry average." "At the nameplate level, Lexus ranks highest for the 10th consecutive year. Lexus is followed in the rankings by Buick, Infiniti, Lincoln and Cadillac, respectively."

I see no reason for ignorant comments like the one from Sun Baked. (All quotes taken from the JD Power 2004 Vehicle Dependency press release)

Toe

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2002
If you were to use today's technologies and design a method of getting people where they want to be, would you design the combustion engine automobile and the modern highway system?

I'm thinking you could come up with something (a lot of things) better.

Here's a start... http://www.carfree.com/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.