Holy cow! the new G6!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by slipper, Sep 15, 2004.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

according to the site, its a completely new design, powerful, energy efficient

[​IMG]

from pontiac. also coming soon from apple.

2. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Wow... I love last month's news. Maybe Apple will sue and get something back after losing all that money to to Apple Corp.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Since it is from Pontiac, somebody want to toss this car in the Wasteland where it belongs (especially considering the car it's replacing) -- or at least move the thread to Community Discussion.

4. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

5. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

The news isn't from last month. It's either nine months old or older.

This car was displayed at the 2004 North American International Auto Show, held at the Cobo Center in Detroit back in January.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

This brings up a good point, doesnt Motorola or IBM or Apple own the rights to the trademark G6?

7. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Yeah those cars are sexy, and oprah gave away 276 of them on her show!!!!!! how cool is that........The things you can do when you have money.

8. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

actually they were donated by gm as a pr stunt

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's probably because they envision not being able to sell them to wannabe BMW owners.

10. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Too bad its made by Pontiac, which means its crap. Give me a Japanese car anyday.

11. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

right, because being a 'japanese' car makes it good...
    my toyota went through 5 mufflers in 10 years...
    not to mention that japanese companies make their cars in the us now (nissan's in the south somewhere iirc).

12. Edot macrumors 6502

Dude mufflers are meant to wear out. Plus at most places you can get them replaced for free or next to nothing.

13. Tommy! macrumors regular

Actually, GMs newer models are really good, they seem to be the first US company seeing what draws people to japanese cars. The Japanese make 3 times more profit off of their cars than GM who makes 3x as much as chrysler. Ford makes "no money" (on paper). Just a random fact.

Speaking of GM we should all be driving saabs!

14. Celeron macrumors 6502a

What I meant by Japanese was Japanese designed cars, such as Toyota, Nissan, and Honda. I'm fully aware that many are made in the U.S. I own a Honda Accord which was built Ohio.

Japanese made cars consistently score MUCH better than American cars in Consumer Reports' annual auto issue. It pretty much shows you which cars are crap and which aren't. Most of those crap cars, albeit not all of them, are designed by American companies. GM is frequently on the very BOTTOM of the heap.

Personally, I prefer Honda/Acura. I'm looking to buy a Acura TSX here in the near future and interior quality and fit and finish is MILES and MILES ahead of anything I have seen recently in an American made car. The quality of the plastics and other materials is simply not the same.

15. crazytom macrumors 6502a

crazytom

It looks like it's estimated at 22 city/32 highway....a real American car. :rolleyes:

Something that will go really fast when you're not stuck in traffic, typically from 2am until 6am. :)

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Although, they're at the top of the cheap, which is not to say that their cars are inexpensive. I've always been impressed when you put cheesy plastics in your more expensive cars that look just like your cheapest cars' plastics.

17. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I'm partial to Subarus. '95 Impreza Outback with 100,000+ miles on it and so far we've had to replace a faulty temperature gauge.

18. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

it requires 32 gallons of gasoline to move 1 mile !?!
    and I thoguht the ferrari enzo was a guzzler....
    no wonder they are giving them away for free.

19. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Just in case you were referring to exterior plastics: The current design direction for Pontiac is away from cheesy plastics. The G6 has no extra plastic add-ons as Grand Ams have had in the past. The G6, GTO (rebadged Holden Monaro for you Australians), Solstice, Grand Prix and Bonneville all reflect the new, clean-lines look at Pontiac. If you were to put aside your Japanese cars-bias you could examine the picture at the beginning of this thread for cheesy plastics.

In case you were referring to interior plastics, current Cadillacs and Buicks have better plastics than the other lines, and within the other lines the upmarket cars have nicer interior plastics than the lower end ones (example: Corvette).

It's easy to knock American cars because of what that rolled off assembly lines before.

As Tommy! said, current American cars are way better than past American cars. Styling wise, American cars are way better than anything out of Japan (with one possible exception, the Honda S2000). Japanese cars tend to be plain in the styling department. Compare anything out of Japan to the Chrysler 300 / Dodge Magnum.

20. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Thank God Pontiac finally abandoned that ugly, cheesy "cladding" crap. It does seem like the Big Three have made some serious efforts to improve at least the external design of their cars. I mean the Crossfire, 300M, and Magnum from Chrysler are all pretty slick, on the outside at least. And the new F150 is sweet, man. Makes me think about trading in my Tundra - not quite [Toyota truck with a V8? - pry it from my cold dead fingers].
    Personally, I have more faith in the interior fit and finish and the overall mechanical durability of Honda, Toyota, and even Nisssan over the current American rides. I hope that, in the next few years, we find that US automakers close that perceived gap and get back to the top of the heap again. They already are taking the edge in exterior design.

21. iceTrX macrumors regular

Well said.
    I don't know how anyone can bash GM vehicles anymore as they are very affordable, and they have made significant quality improvements that may soon rival or surpass japanese auto manufactures (they have already passed european manufactures):
    "The Domestics are putting their money where their mouths are in terms of consistent long-term quality improvement," said Joe Ivers, partner and executive director of quality/customer satisfaction at J.D. Power and Associates. "However, while the Domestics continue to outpace the Europeans in long-term quality, the Japanese continue to dominate."

GM's quality numbers seem to be catching up every year:
    "General Motors, which improves 2 PP100, remains the only Domestic manufacturer ranking above the industry average." "At the nameplate level, Lexus ranks highest for the 10th consecutive year. Lexus is followed in the rankings by Buick, Infiniti, Lincoln and Cadillac, respectively."

I see no reason for ignorant comments like the one from Sun Baked. (All quotes taken from the JD Power 2004 Vehicle Dependency press release)

22. makisushi macrumors 6502

American Cars, Japanese cars, Korean Cars.... WHO CARES

German Cars RULE!

23. mr_mac macrumors member

mr_mac

Apple will not care.

It's a freaking car after all...

24. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

If you were to use today's technologies and design a method of getting people where they want to be, would you design the combustion engine automobile and the modern highway system?

I'm thinking you could come up with something (a lot of things) better.

Here's a start... http://www.carfree.com/

25. StarmanDeluxe macrumors member

Winner!