Holy crap! Another copy!

Discussion in 'Community' started by G5Unit, Sep 17, 2005.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

2. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

jesus christ that's retarded! its so much handier to actually see the app icon rather than a tiny preview...*hopes that can be changed to windows xp behavior*

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Alt-Tab app switching in Windows has been there for as long as I can remember. It was only introduced into OS X in Panther. This is one Apple got from the enemy here.

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I think you owe Microsoft an apology... ALT+TAB has been in Windows since, I don't know, 1990 or so (Windows 3.0).

5. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Oops sry. I didn't relize. But now it looks to much like Os X style.

6. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

That style is something that's also been available in the current Windows XP - it is a free download from Microsoft's website.

"As someone who constantly runs several applications, the ALT+TAB application switching functionality in Windows is one of my most often used key presses. This PowerToy replaces that functionality, using a thumbnail preview of each window in the task list, displayed in a manner that is consistent with the new Windows XP look and feel."

[​IMG]

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Actually, "Vista style" is much nicer. ;)

Haha, I can't believe it. You start a thread to point out another example of how Microsoft steals ideas from Apple, only this thread does the opposite and make Apple look bad. :p

Just change the thread title to "Holy crap! Apple steals another idea from Microsoft" and be done with it, you Mac basher!! :mad:

:p

8. slimflem macrumors regular

slimflem

yawn....this is ugly and boring.

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Actually, cmd-tab was there in OS9, and possibly OS8 too. It just didn't have the spiffy window until Panther. As for the "copy", it seems to combine Exposé and app switching (which is part of what exposé does anyway ;)) into one bar across the screen. A rather small bar...

10. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

Expose still works better for preview window switching. Plus it has more options too.

11. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I think I actually am rather fond of the Vista method.

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's not too bad, I prefer the exposé and cmd-tab implementation on OS X - it's better looking.

Can't wait to see what Leopard has in store, forget about comparing Tiger with Vista, Leopard is where Vista's competition is going to come from. Hopefully it will be a massive release.

13. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Why is the Apple implementation better looking? The MS one provides the actual screenshots of each window open, which makes it more useful, at least They already do it with Exposé, but I'd rather have Exposé and the Vista-style Alt+Tab.

I think Apple needs to copy Microsoft with this one, and not admit it. :p Deny deny deny!

15. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Are you guys really that surprised??? MS copied everything from Apple.

16. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Uh....

No, Command+Tab was in Jaguar too. But it used the dock instead of the window onscreen. And Command+Tab has been apart of the Mac OS since before the OS era, and into a simpler time-- System 7.5.5.

17. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Eh... I use (apple thingiee)+tab a lot more than exposé, I'll give you that, but having the screen shots? That wouldn't really work, because we don't cycle through all open windows.
    Can you imagine how bad that would be, to try to cycle through 15 different photoshop documents you have open at once! (wait.. why do you have 15 open at the same time? Why am I asking questions to no one specifically? Why am I asking questions about my questions? and why am I so hoarse today??)
    Having the icon lets you pick the app, and then, I dunno, F10 to the specific window of it you want.

The OS X switcher is pretty and I <3 it. So pretty. Such HUGE dock icons. It lets me notice how HORRIBLE the adium duck's posture is. (see attachment) The violin is like.. on his freaking chest! SHOULDER IT, YOU DUMB DUCK!

But.. yeah, this isn't a copy. It's prettier, I'll give you that. An ex-Appleite must have been hired at MS.

/why isn't "ex-Appleite" a typo in Safari.. There's no red squiggly under it!
    //I ramble a lot.
    ///slashie, slashie!

**EDIT beneath my slashies?? Nooo!**
    linkiedooooooooo!
    Is that related to all this app switching houplah?

/I love folklore.org
    //it makes me happy!

Attached Files: