Holy crap, I'm about to puke...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ColoJohnBoy, Feb 5, 2005.

1. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

So, back in July, when I had only a part-time job and certain expenses that needed to be paid off, I regretfully parted ways with my little 12" PowerBook, Samuel Beckett (His name :)

Anyhow, my situation is now greatly changed; full-time job, bills paid off, yippee huzzah. I just bought a PowerBook. Pimped-out 15". I'm excited, but as it's been so long since I've spent so much money, I'm a little nauseated.

THE POINT of all this (pardon my circuitous ramblings) is that I only ordered it with the stock 512 MB RAM, knowing I can find more on my own, and cheaper. I've loked around, and the lowest price I can find for a 1 GB SO-DIMM is $279. Does anyone know where I can purchase one for cheaper, or is that as god as it gets?

P.S. - What the hell is up with the 7-10 business days to ship and only having 5-Day Standard Shipping available as an option?

2. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Look/Shop around from time to time for deals on ram. There are deals out there but probably not at this very moment. Can't really add much happyness to your life as ramprice.com shows most prices between $214-$508 :eek: . I think that you should beable to get by with the stock ram as I do (even with PS, FH, iTunes, and the web on at once)

And I don't know the reasons why advertised shipping is shorter than the actual time it takes. I took about a week and a half for my PB to arrive, I think.

Anyway, have fun with your new machine and baby it.

3. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I was wondering if I bought a stick of RAM for my pb would I be able to install it myself? I have no idea what to do and have never done any hardware installations before. If not about how much would it cost to go somewhere to have it done?

4. brap macrumors 68000

You could train monkeys to install memory. Even without the opposable thumb... ;)

5. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

Yes, I think it's easy. If you can use a (very small) screwdriver, you can do it. Apple's instructions:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86518

6. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

7. NCTRNL macrumors regular

I got mine from NewEgg...they had the best prices I could find. $190/dimm for 1GB dimms. I got two...

8. papersushi macrumors regular

PowerBook 15'' SuperDrive is on high demand now, that's why it has 7-10 business days lead time. Since you custom configured your PowerBook, it has to be configured and shipped from Apple's manufactory in Shanghai, China. That's why 3-5 business days ground is the only option.

P.S. When you do a custom to config order PowerBook, the only ground shipping is not "ground", its all done by "Air" actually, pretty much as fast as possible. This is what it looks like:

FedEx pick your PB from Apple in Shanghai
    Takes about 1-2 business days go through Chinese custom fly over to Alaska
    Clear US custom in Alaska, prepare to fly to FedEx's headquarter and main hub in Memphis, TN. Takes about 24 hours, time may vary if there is delay from US custom.
    From Memphis fly to your local FedEx distribution center 1 Day
    Truck or Air to your local FedEx station
    On truck deliver to your door

9. Trekkie macrumors 6502a

Trekkie

Isn't the stock 512MB memory in the new power books a single 512MB DIMM? just pick up another 512MB DIMM unless you need more than 1GB..

10. shane-o-mac macrumors regular

shane-o-mac

Quick question:

What made you want to upgrade to the 15"..did the screen space get to you on the smaller model? Just debating between ordering the two

11. ColoJohnBoy thread starter macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

You guys so kick ass :D

I had a 15" before, and liked being able to have Word or Safari open whilst having a couple iChat windows open at the same time without having to shuffle windows around. That, the better graphics chip, and the backlit keyboard pretty much convinced me to get the 15" instead of the 12". Of course, after spending as much as I have, I don't plan on upgrading again for awhile, so the more advanced the PB, the better.

12. sirius1722 macrumors member

I had ordered the 1GB RAM from Fry's when I got my 12" PB a few months ago....I'm a power user and it hasn't failed me yet. I bought mine for about $160 shipped and it looks like the price went up just a tad, but for a budget solution, go for the RAM at Fry's (Outpost.com).

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I recommend Data Memory Systems http://www.datamem.com/viewcat.asp?C=1169 at $235 It is guaranteed to be compatible with your Powerbook, unlike the cheaper generic PC RAM. Good company, they know Macs.

Thanks,
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com