holy crap is vista like os x!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by plunar, Jan 10, 2007.

1. plunar macrumors 6502

plunar

Just touched vista, briefly, today. incredible the flagrant rip off. i mean, right down to the color scheme - the two tone, "polish" look of the menu bar, the spotlight search, the documents, music, and pictures folder.

only used for 5 minutes, but, jesus, just unbelievable really from what i saw.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

there have been alot of threads on vista and how it "copies" os x

3. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

With all the press of the past few years, why wouldn't it be?

4. darthmole12 macrumors newbie

All operating systems "steal" from each other. It's just how UI design works. You see something that looks good/works well somewhere else, you bring it on board with your own flavor.

It's not the first time that Windows has taken a concept from Macs and went with it. Macs had the trash can long before Windows showed up with the recyling bin in 95.

And it's not like OS X hasn't "stolen" lots of things from other operating systems.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Documents, music, and pictures folders?

I remember seeing those in Windows before Mac OS X had them.

Other systems had those items. Eventually, they might have created folders for them, too. This copying thing is going overboard. :p

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Mac OS 7 had an optional documents folder. You had to enable it in the General Controls control panel. That pre-dates Windows 9x.

7. seabass069 macrumors regular

If it wasn't for copying, technology would never advance. You really do not see hard drive manufacturers suing each other anymore. They show each other the new technologies. Plus, in the end it saves the companies millions of dollars in legal fees.

8. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Yeah, it may look a bit like OSx, but at the end of the day it's still crappy Microsoft and will be just as useless and virus ridden as all the other Windoze systems.

Sit back contented my friend, Leopard is coming and we will be still be years ahead of CMOS (Crappy Microsoft Operating Systems) :cool:

FJ

9. darthmole12 macrumors newbie

Vista changed the "Documents and Settings" directory to "User" like on Mac OS X! OMGWTFBBQ!

10. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

holy crap this is the 4 billionth thread on this!:rolleyes:

11. plunar thread starter macrumors 6502

plunar

I mean, i knew it was going to be a rip off, that does not surprise me. what surprises me is the complete audacity with which they did it. i mean, they damn near copied even the GUI window graphic style and icons as close as they could with out winding up another eMachines. Stuff like the placing their spotlight search right on the menu bar, the "X" button to close.... i mean christ, it's not that the didn't try to think of new stuff, but it feels like they just said screw new stuff, and let's make even FEEL like OS X. It seriously reminds of something like a chinese knock off:

http://www.i4u.com/article4799.html

again, i know it's been posted before, but seeing it for the first time in person, well.... damn.

12. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Steve Jobs likes to iterate and reiterate and re-reiterate that Apple has few traditions. This behavior is probably the longest lasting tradition that Apple, and indeed parts of the community, truly has. Maybe that's why some people cling to it so dearly.

Vista may have some similarities, but it still maintains Microsoft's view on usability. This is where the Mac OS and Windows have always differed, and it's a reflection of the philosophies of the two companies.

...As has been stated countless other times. :p

13. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

14. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

except for all the droves out there who think M$ innovated of all of this stuff. Seriously, there is a wndows diehard in my office who had a huge sh**-eating grin on face "look at all the cool stuff Vista does". He honestly believed that M$ came up with the photo re-sizing slider, spotlight-like search, etc.

15. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i doubt if apple invented slidebarre-size of photo, or spotlight-like search, copernic comes to memory. or google desktop.

16. XP Defector macrumors 6502

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

So Vista copies OSX from last year (or 2 ago now!).

Leopard.

OSXI.

Apple is always ahead.

18. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I don't care...if they got windows right this time then I'm happy because thats all I use to work so bring on the copy.

What will we say when leopard comes out with a glossy black interface;)

Bless

19. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Probably something like ......... errr. well the next version of Windoze will look like that.

Dohhhh

Mac's rule ..... OK

FJ :cool:

20. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

The first OS maker to implement it cleanly into an OS. Apple didn't invent the mouse either, but nobody cared about it until Apple made one.

21. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

David Pouge did a video on this, I bet its floating around on Youtube.

22. Hobofuzz macrumors regular

BeOS had "spotlight-like search" back in 1995. It's still light years ahead of what any of the current search utilities offer.

23. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Thats my point exactly, mac drones are convinced Apple created everything in their systems and thought of it themselves without even knowing, they just love to love Apple and love to hate Microsoft.

Quicksilver was available before spotlight, it was very similar to the current spotlight, it wasn't a bad idea at all to implement it, so why is MS being bashed so much? Konfabulator was available before OSX and it was an extremely clean implementation (as was Quicksilver) and Dashboard then came with extremely similar looking widgets. I'm not criticizing Apple, I'm praising them, but why praise them and criticize Microsoft when they do the same?

Those are just a few examples, its not really copying, sure its fun for a while and yes I'm thrilled as well by the Vista 2.0 jokes and all but that is good as a joke, I get sick when people are such ignorant haters towards Microsoft and ignorant lovers toward Apple (or better said, fanboys), why can't you balance the pros and cons of every one without being an ass about it? I like both systems, they both do some stuff wrong but I'm not an idiot about it.

You all sound like 14 year olds discussing whats better, ps2 or xbox. If you are going to discuss, at least do so with good arguments and not cheap shots and blows that have no relevance outside of Macrumors fanboys.

24. buckwheat macrumors member

buckwheat

Nah, there's no difference at all. Vista does throw in a sound file of screeching tires. Played almost hourly just before the crash