Holy Folding Batman!!!

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by Mr. Anderson, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

OMG!!! We've just managed to get a single day regular record - 29,448 points!

502 points away from going RED !!!!!

This is friggin great!!!!

D

2. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Damn, forgot the image....

Attached Files:

3. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

Very good news!!! Congratulations to all of you!!!

4. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

I'm a newbie on the team, but its great to see MacRumors moving forward. :)

I am bringing on more and more G4's and G5's so it will only get better from my department.

5. phrancpharmD macrumors regular

Glad to be pitching in with my modest G3 iBook and the two P3's I'm "borrowing." . . I was pretty excited when I broke the top 300 a couple of weeks ago! I need to find a LOT more CPUs though to get into the top 200 or even 250!

6. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Wow! This is just amazing!!! We just seem to be going from strength to strength. Just when you think we can't possibly increase our production, we jump a couple of thousand points a day. It seems like not so long ago when we would be congratulating ourselves for a 4k day. Now we have a realistic chance of making red!

At this rate, General Mayhem had best watch their backs :cool:

7. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Seeing that a dual G5 gets over 200 points a day, I look forward to adding my G5 on when I get it....just have to wait for Apple to announce the new machines! :D

D

8. Edot macrumors 6502

G5's

The more Duals the better! A few more and we are RED! If an item about folding was posted on the homepage I am sure we could get over the 30,000 a day mark.

9. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Next week I am getting my dual (hopefully!), so we will be getting into the red! (probably next week! LOL)

10. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

well, we had a little drop, down to about 1,700 a day below the 30k cut off ... it looks like it might just be a matter of time, though :D

D

11. maineroad macrumors newbie

I used to crunch with just a 400mhz G4 and sporadically with a 500 PIII. That didn't amount to much more than 3 WU per week. Now I've recruited a few friends to fold under my nick (and an anonymous nick).

Combined I'm contributing about 23 WU/week.

New hardware folding for Team Macrumors in the past 3 days:

3 iMac @ 1ghz each
    1 G4 @ Dual 1.25ghz
    1 Dell @ PIII 1ghz
    1 Dell @ P4 1.2ghz
    1 Dell @ PIII 950 mhz
    1 iBook @ 1ghz

Fold on everybody. Enlist your friends! Can't wait to break into the RED.

(Check out the thread on publicity and recruiting too)

12. shemp9999 macrumors regular

shemp9999

just added another 2x2GHz G5 yesterday...

brings my contribution up to about 36GHz!

13. Selecter macrumors member

Shemp, I gave you some props in another thread.....you are folding like MAD crazy

14. maineroad macrumors newbie

Shemp,

I just checked your stats bud. HOLY SMOKES!

You are definitely ripping towards the top. Where do you get most of your folding machines from? Labs? Office?

Very Impressed,
    Maineroad

15. shemp9999 macrumors regular

shemp9999

thanks selecter!

i like being red. :eek:

i've only been folding since the beginning of december...luckily, i work at a place with a 'top ten' renderfarm*. :D :D :D

but what's real cool is there've been like 85 new users since i started. i'm waiting for one of them to pop up on my currently empty...sound of glove slapping skin..."potential threat" table over at extremeoverclocking's stats page. :D

*(in actuality, and in case someone is looking, i'm only using one renderfarm machine i directly support, the rest are desktops. 12 ppc procs, 12 x86. 4 of those ppc procs [5GHz total] are at home.)

16. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Re: just added another 2x2GHz G5 yesterday...

Sweet LORD!

:eek:

Keep that **** going, damn man!

:eek:

:measly .8 GHz machines: :p

Good Job team!

17. shemp9999 macrumors regular

shemp9999

thanks for the props guys.:)

but i gotta admit my math was wrong...:rolleyes:

i was only running 30GHz after the second G5, not 36GHz.

but, as pennance, i just logged in and added 2 more dual 1GHz G4s to get me to 34GHz. :D

if only i could remember the hostnames of a few more...:p

18. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, that was short lived - we're back down to 23k.....weird how that happens.

Maybe in a week or so we'll get enough to keep it around 28 and maybe eventually break 30k a day.

D

19. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I've been looking at our point/day difference with the Kniggits and it's been a constant 9-10k, even with our spikes and dips.

Odd...but once we get past a couple of those lower checkpoints, our total should pop back up.

20. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

Im gonna start folding on my 2 CPU's, on my Dual G5 and Dual G4 (By using the little app called InCrease which is great). I seriously hope that we can push it to red! Lets go Team, time to kick some butt!

21. jbeetz macrumors member

I've recently gotten a couple G@H units (project 799), which are pitiful points-wise since I'm on a F@H team... see this thread for the score difference: http://forum.folding-community.org/viewtopic.php?p=29148&highlight=#29148
    Scuttlebutt has it that these WUs typically yield a massive 16-18 points.

From the Stanford FAQ: "One thing to note is that if you use the -advmethods flag to get our newest Cores and work units, then this will override any preference [ed: for F@H or G@H] you may set."

So I'm gonna switch that baby off until I hear of a new core, then turn it back on until the core arrives. Might help some, never know!

22. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Well, I have an explanation. This morning around 5 CET my workunit was done and it couldn't get it to the servers of Stanford. I gotten the message that is was too busy. So maybe a lot of us have it and we will be seeing those points later this day.

BTW, I thought we where going to kick some tin cans asses today?! Why wait for tomorrow if we can do it today!

Speaking of tomorrow... My Appledealer just called, they finally have my dual, so gonna get it tomorrow! Will be folding tommorrow night with a dual 1.8! COOLNESS!!

And have another question. Does it matter how much ram you have for folding? Does the same machine fold faster with more ram in it?

23. Selecter macrumors member

I had the same thing happen to me this morning. 2 completed WU's could not be sent back to the server. Message said they were in the queue so I presumed they would be sent at some point. I got credit for a 32 pointer at 9am.....

You will LOVE your dual 1.8.....I love mine....it's just a TINY bit slower per cpu than my AMD xp3000+ but it works X2 of course. 330 mhz slower and it still comes within 30 seconds of the AMD total time to finish on any WU...

oh, and I dont think RAM will change the folding speed. I believe the WU's are totally 100% CPU bound. More CPU power, more WU's.

for more RAM grab coast to coast memory. I got 2 256MB sticks from them to give me 1GB total and it made a world of difference in speed. I paid 67 bucks total cost.

24. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Weirdness - yesterday we're almost at 30k and today we're barely over 20k - we might even drop out of orange.....:(

Maybe we'll get a big jump if the server speeds up again.

As of now its the 24th again for the k'niggits...:D

D

25. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

But look at the %'s, we are always around 1.8% of the points. As the entire F@H front page dropped from 1.5M points a day to 1.1M a day, we dropped from about 28K to 21K. No biggie.