Holy Moly, Episcopalian Church Implosion

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SC68Cal, Dec 18, 2006.

1. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

2. calculus Guest

calculus

Let them get on with it. This sort of thing just shows how nasty some religious people are.

On another note Episcopalian Church Implosion would be a great name for a band.

3. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Yeah, this has been building up behind the scenes of the conservative buildup in other facets of US politics and religion. I'm an Episcopalian, and I always will be. Problem is, any major theological conflict in the history of the Church has taken decades, if not longer, to resolve; if it gets resolved at all. There are well over 1,500 denominations of Christianity in the world today. They all think they are right. It's only those few days after tragic events like Katrina or 09/11 that we hold each other true to Jesus' teachings: love God, and love each other.

That's my nickel's worth.

btw: It's The Episcopal Church. I am an Episcopalian. So it would be an Episcopal Church Implosion.

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well. If that's what they want.... Wonder if they'll make gays sit in the back of the bus? :mad:

These aren't the first churches that have threatened to join up with branches from Africa. It's just the latest display of intolerance in the name of Jesus.

This is so ****ing stupid. Of course I don't know why I'm saying anything. I'm Catholic. Our church is hardly a bastion of open-mindedness.

5. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

Sometimes it's neccessary to peel away the dead skin.

6. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

This is the part that confuses me. How do you tell if it is a couple of any variety eating in a restaurant or just two friends?

A bigger question that perplexes me - if the Anglican Church believes that God is perfect, how can it be an umbrella for groups that espouse different theological views? Shouldn't the head of the church be the final authority and, regardless of the decision, either "you're with us or you're against us"? If you don't agree with the theology, how can you consider yourself a member? Haven't you adopted beliefs that differ and therefore one of you are imperfect?

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I suppose they'll have some kind of formula:

Two guys at Macaroni Grill: gay date.
    Two guys at Longhorns: business lunch.

:rolleyes: :D

8. takao macrumors 68040

takao

hm is this kinda the US version of the anglican church or something ? i'm not that informed about all those american christian churches so where are they positioned ?

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

At The Right Hand Of God. It's pretty crowded.

10. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

This has been building for years. I'm surprised it took so long.

11. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Lollin.

Seriously though, I've gone to the Macaroni Grill with my friend Rian for dinner because it's good and he's my only friend in L.A.. Plus, I wear some womens' clothing (pants and collared shirts, just tighter-fitting stuff), I bet people thought we were a gay couple. What a riot.

12. Queso macrumors G4

REG: Right. You're in. Listen. The only people we hate more than the Romans are the ****ing Judean People's Front.

P.F.J.: Yeah...

JUDITH: Splitters.

P.F.J.: Splitters...

FRANCIS: And the Judean Popular People's Front.

P.F.J.: Yeah. Oh, yeah. Splitters. Splitters...

LORETTA: And the People's Front of Judea.

P.F.J.: Yeah. Splitters. Splitters...

REG: What?

LORETTA: The People's Front of Judea. Splitters.

REG: We're the People's Front of Judea!

LORETTA: Oh. I thought we were the Popular Front.

REG: People's Front! C-huh.

FRANCIS: Whatever happened to the Popular Front, Reg?

REG: He's over there.

P.F.J.: Splitter!

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Is there an equivalent of Godwin's Law that deals with how soom a Monty Python reference shows up in a thread?

B

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The Episcopal Church joined with the Anglican Church, at least, in the U.S.A., a few years ago.

They're the closest to the Catholic church but they also tend to be rather progressive. Apparently, it's not universal, especially in Central Floriduh.

When the ordination of a gay priest hit the fan, the local parishes decided that it would be better to leave the oversight of the organisation to start their own but as with most everything here, they haven't made much progress.

15. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Episcopalians: wherever two or more are gathered... you'll find a fifth!;)

[​IMG]

I was raised in that church. I'm allowed to make that joke.:D
    Seriously, even if gayness was a sin... what makes them so special? I think all sinners should be banned from going to or having authority over any church. :eek:

*makes note to self: buy up all the vacant churches on prime real estate

16. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

The Episcopal Church is a part of the Anglican Communion, which has 70 million members worldwide. The Episcopal Church only has about 2.5 million, and is the most liberal by far of any of the Anglican provinces in the world. The Episcopal Church was founded early in the history of our country when they managed to get their own Bishop consecrated on US land in order to separate themselves from the Church of England (the Anglican Church).

To meet their immediate needs, a few conservative parishes in the US are acting as a congregations, and not respecting the oversight of their Diocesan and Presiding Bishops, by allowing themselves to be placed under the oversight of the Bishop of an African province. They think this is a great and wonderful solution. IMO it's a knee-jerk reaction. Conservatism in many African nations means imprisonment and/or death to gay persons in their country. The divide is much greater culturally and politically than both parties would ever begin to fathom were they to examine their respective countries more closely. Also, The Episcopal Church as a whole and many very large parishes within send millions of dollars to these Anglican provinces to help in the fight against hunger and AIDS. Given the political climate in those areas, who knows where that money goes.

Not trying to disprove your comments bousozoku, just affirming them (I hope). :) And, correcting that the Episcopal Church has been a separate province of the Anglican communion since the 1700s. I'm fairly liberal, and feel a commitment to the Episcopal Church. I was just rather wait the fifty or one-hundred years it will take to sort this out.

Of course, there's so much more to all this than any of us realize. :( :eek:

We're all sinners. That's what we need to realize. :)

Also, they don't call us whiskeypalians for nothing!!!

There are no Episcopalians down in hell!
    Yes, they're all up above
    drinkin' wine and makin' love

wish i could describe the tune that goes to

17. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I know that you were helping. I'm not a member of either church, so I'm not authority.

I'm a non-practising member of the (United) Presbyterian church and I've found that many conflicts have arisen inside of it over the years. It's not so far from the Catholic Church, either. However, to hear my Korean friend who was Presbyterian, then Baptist in Korea and eventually, the U.S.A., the church intolerant of real people.

Of course, the Episcopal Church didn't like "The Book of Daniel" t.v. series, even though it was a light-hearted attempt to show that ministers and priests are just people. I suppose it's just a good thing they didn't put it up against an intolerant denomination. I know that God has a sense of humour or else humans wouldn't be alive. ;)

19. emmawu macrumors 6502

I'm a recovering Catholic for lots of reasons. First of all, intolerance. :)

20. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Since I live in the Bible Belt, I never got to see "The Book of Daniel." Many of my youth minister friends (Episcopalians) did get to see it and even recorded it for viewing and discussion with their youth groups!

21. reubs macrumors 68000

As another Episcopalian here on the boards, I'd like to chime in. I'm here in Virginia where a bunch of this stuff is hitting the fan, and the Church is experiencing a pretty sad time. I find it very disheartening that the folks at Truro, Falls Church, etc. feel the need to pick up their toys and leave b/c they didn't get their way. To prove homosexuality is against scripture is an up-hill battle, just like it is an up-hill battle to argue the other way.

Some would argue that this whole issue is less about homosexuality and more about women's ordination to the priesthood. But that's all I've got for now. Time to study some more.

22. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Dear sir, as regards taking our name in vain our lawyers will be in contact,yours etc: www.holymoly.co.uk

Ps your all tedious c**ts.

23. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Most of the conservatives in Mississippi (there are about a hundred or so) say it's about staying true to scripture. I say, which translation? I know I sound smarmy, but you can find a translation that fits your theology, or need.

I'm waiting for another Episcopalian in Mississippi to pipe in. I was busted anonymously last year for talking about my former priest on these boards. Eh, they're human, they should be able to take it! :p :D

BTW one of the most staunch conservatives in our Diocese is a female priest. Go figure... :confused:

Hey, Peterkro, I don't get it... :)

The site is funny, though. Another great site is Ship of Fools!

This is a pretty good summary of the state of things in TEC.

24. Queso macrumors G4

Highly appropriate in this case from where I'm sitting. :p

The only two things I want to know are:- If the "Anglican Communion" does split, and the Archbishop of Canterbury decides to side with the Archbishop of Nigeria, who advocates actions that are considered hate crimes under UK law, will the Bishops who sit in the House of Lords do the decent thing and give up their places? Or if he chooses that the Church of England will join with the Episcopalians, will he reconsider the appointment of John Jeffrey to the position of Bishop?

25. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

The Anglican Communion is not splitting. What's happening is that parishes (individual churches) in America are choosing to be placed under the authority of Anglican Bishops in other, more conservative countries. They then title themselves 'Anglican' instead of 'Episcopal.' So, the Archbishop of Canterbury, who has no real authority (unlike the Pope), won't really choose sides. He is trying to listen to all sides and have ongoing conversations on the matters. But, like I said earlier, all the conservatives are interested in is an immediate solution. And, the ABC isn't happy about the ECUSA, either.

Episcopalians are Anglicans. It's just what we call ourselves in the US.

You make a valid point about Nigeria. And about John Jeffrey as well. I'm almost sure no one is going to give up their position of power anytime soon.