Holy shizznick... (Adobe Web Collection)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by cleo, May 20, 2002.

1. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Somewhat useless post... but I just received the Web Collection, and all I can say is "wow"... (actually, I'm being a little bit more colorful, but there might be kids reading :)). All I've played with so far are Photoshop and Illustrator, but... wow.

Please ignore all of my previous bitching about there not being an equivalent to Jasc Paint Shop Pro for Macs... this is so, so cooler! I have a feeling it's going to be the best $350 I've ever spent. :D

2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Welcome to the [usually] Wonderful World of Adobe. :D

If you've got an extra $9K to blow, go buy their FontFolio! ;)

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Holy shizznick... (Adobe Web Collection)

I don't want to say I told you so..... so I won't

Congrats! Enjoy. When I first get cool software sometimes I'll be laying in bed and come up with an idea and not be able to go back to sleep until I went and tried it on the computer. This sucked when I had to go into work to do it (I went quite a few times at 2AM just to play). Those were the days....

4. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

Ouch.

OK, so after an hour and a half playing around, I am a little less excited. I have no idea how to use this software. I have even mor respect for the cool things so many of you turn out... I have a feeling that I have a lot of manual-reading ahead of me... :rolleyes: I think a big part of problem is just not being familiar with the Adobe interface... all of these palettes and such...

Any suggestions for good books on Photoshop and/or Illustrator?

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: Ouch.

I've found the Classroom in a Book series does well for me with Photoshop...there are still so many things I have no clue as how to do...but I learn something new each day it seems...

for Illustrator...I've preferred the Visual Quickstarts series...

to be honest though....u could probably use either for either program...

the Classroom in a Book series teaches u step by step how to go though the applications...

the Visual Quickstarts series end up being a great reference if u want to do something but do not remember the steps as how to do it...a lot less bloated reading and more get down to it stuff...

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Ouch.

Don't be intimidated, jump right in. But as for books, Photoshop Wow! is by far the best book I've ever used. You'll be able to start producing stuff that will just amaze you. Simple, easy to read and wonderful examples.

Go to a book store and thumb through it, I honestly can say it will be your favorite in no time.

Here's the link to the book at amazon.com, you can read what they hav to say there.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201722089/ref=pd_sim_books/002-1665880-4593642

Now before you tell me you have PS7 and the book is PS6, you will still learn more about the software than imaginable. I had an old Photoshop Wow! 3 hanging around and gave it one of my coworkers, he was blown away.

But if you want to wait for the PSW 7 to come out, I'm not sure how long that will be, try the class room in a book, they're not bad, but I've found them a little tiring to get through.

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

The book that came with my update to Photoshop (6) in December was rather larger, I think 600 or 700 pages. I may make reading it a summer reading assignment; however, I will probably have to read something for English this summer. And I do not like reading long bongs, anyways! :)

cleo, what exactly do you plan to do with you "graduation gift", sort of speak? I know you get a whole bunch of exceedingly incredible software, but is this web collection all going to a website, or it just for personal reasons?

Any time is a great time for iPod.
    Working on avatar and new signature...
    Planning to retire the current signature.

8. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

Both, really. I had gotten quite comfortable with the tools I used on the PC, and did some stuff for myself, plus random sites for others. More of a hobby, but when people need something done hey know I can do a decent job. Now I've just been hired to do a smallish site for a local businessman who's a friend of my dad's, plus a prof at my old university. Neither of them want high-tech stuff, and I could easily whip something up on my PC using Paint Shop Pro and Homesite, but now feel like a complete newbie to the whole thing.

But, I guess there's always TextEdit and good ol' HTML 3.0. :D

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

I would assume anyone would feel like a newbie if they were just handed a whole package of software that was related to what that person had for graphics tools, but much more complex. Don't forget, it takes quite a bit of getting used to the applications before you can really master them. Besides, Photoshop is the almighty high software title for image editing, and is basically as detailed as it gets. I am pretty sure that if you can master Photoshop or the bundle of software you just received, you can basically master anything. It just takes a little time and patience.

The best of luck, cleo.

Any time is a great time for iPod.
    Working on avatar and new signature...
    Planning to retire the current signature.

10. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Oiiiiii, don't go there! :D I dunno why I still have my HTML 3.2 dictionary...

11. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

it's all about trying the stuff out. let us know what kind of results you get and post some pictures if you have em...

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Perfect opportunity to show the cat bath photos and create a little web page for them. So when do we get to see them?

13. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I love using photoshop (I'm geting version 7 seven soon ) which I hopw will be a well paid upgrade
    I have illustartor 10 but thats not as fun...it's slow and buggy
    I want to get after effects......but that will be down the line
    you just have to experiment with effect and then you can DL other effect to
    it's just endless

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Interesting, what exacty has happened that's been slow and buggy? You're running this on your new iMac right?

15. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I found it slow and buggy
    I don't use it much but I could learn to love:D

16. iGav macrumors G3

I got Photoshop 7 last week, and am finding it alittle buggy......... although generally I'm pretty happy with it...... something isn't quite right...... or I've just had a dodgy install....... it doesn't matter anyhow, as this weekend I'm flattening my HD and making OSX my main system, as I have lots of apps coming for OSX in the nest day or two!! hee hee... so I'll be able to start working natively in OSX... wel until I need to use Director that is..... :D

17. OSeXy! macrumors regular

I guess I'm lucky to have started using PhotoShop when version 2.0 was released (when it was still 'simple' - before layers, even!). I've been assimilating the changes and improvements ever since, so I feel I've never really had to 'learn' how to use it at all. Well, I'm glad there are some advantages to being an old-timer, after all...

Good luck! Hang in there! I bet you'll be a pro in no time. The most important thing is to play and keep playing.

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

But buggy in what sense? Do you have examples or are you just unfamilliar with the software and experiencing 'user error'?

19. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

I think I'm starting to get the hang of both Illustrator and Photoshop... not quite as overwhelming now. I made my first avatar in Illustrator... it's kind of simplistic, but it's 100% original, which makes me proud. The cat won't let me come anywhere near him (I got his tail in the door the other day by mistake), so no silly bath pics yet. I'm going to some local parks on Sunday so I'll see what I can come up with.

Thanks again for all of the encouragement!