Holy Turtle Batman! Vista installs SL-O-O-O-WLY

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mlrproducts, Jul 19, 2006.

1. mlrproducts macrumors 6502

Wow, when I read the MR guide to install bootcamp on a MBP (I'm doing it on an iMac), I didn't think when it said "wait an hour for Vista to copy files" that it would actually take that long! It has taken LONGER, and I have over 1GB of RAM!!!!

2. wmealer macrumors regular

Vista actually works with Boot Camp???

I was under the impression only XP could be run with Boot Camp. Can anyone verify that Vista will run, too? If so, I may give it a try.

3. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Vista (as a whole) is pretty slow (<-- running on an actual regular de-facto PC).

Vista is overrated IMO, but, enjoy your brief stay anyhow. :)
    I'm surprised it runs under Boot Camp; like wmealer said, I thought Boot Camp only supported XP sp2.

4. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

i installed it on a brand new high (hahaha) end dell with 4Gb RAM, Dual core etc, and it took a good hour to copy over.

Vista's installer is Image based - it copies and expands a flat file to the drive.

Because of the way it works - and the size of the image - it has to create a RAM Drive to handle image extraction. Cue lots of shuffling data in and out of said RAM Drive, even if you've got a few GB of RAM it may not be enough....

5. mlrproducts thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow this is a POS!

You can actually install it two ways - either over XP that is done with boot camp, OR you can instll Vista in the first place when boot camp asks you for XP discs. Check out the guide for it here on MR.

I had to install it for a "value added" feature of my iMac I just sold on Fleabay. This thing is a POS. I keep thinking it is "locked up" when updating. But no, it just takes LITERALLY ALL DAY to install 4MBs of updates.

6. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

I'm presuming you're installing the public Beta 2? Yes, Beta 2 is very slow to install. Newer builds are much faster.

7. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Relax. Vista was developed for computers in future. Try running Windows 95 on a PC from 1989 and it won't even startup. Vista may install in 5 minutes or less when it ships using current hardware of the time.

8. fenixx macrumors regular

fenixx

:rolleyes:

and judging by Vista delays, the hardware of 2010 should be to install it perfectly, seeing as how that is when it is going to ship.

9. aquanutz macrumors regular

haha! i was just thinking the same thing. :p