home alone? house sitting?

Discussion in 'Community' started by shadowfax, Jun 27, 2003.

1. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

well, my family is going to visit new mexico over the 4th of july, leaving tomorrow AM, and i am going to be stuck at my house alone... sort of. i have a car, though. later on next week, a friend of mine is also going on vacation, and i have to house sit for him. so it looks like i, an 18 year old, will be in charge of 2 4-5 bedroom houses for a few days. could be fun :)

anyone had any interesting housesitting experiences to share?

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is quite a responsibility for an 18 year old. I have all confidence that you are fully up to the tasks at hand!

3. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    do we have an understanding joel?

ever seen the movie "risky business"?

just an idea....:D ;) :D

4. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Party

Have a party at one of the houses. Whichever one is built better for it, and has less stuff that can be broken/stolen.

5. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: do we have an understanding joel?

haha, that is thoroughly disgusting. ugh. lol, i don't think i could find the women for a job like that. don't have the connections :(

6. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

LOL.

I too am housesitting for 2 people; one a friend of mine, although his house is small; the other is my mom's house while she and my brother are on vacation in LA.

So yeah its not a bad trade, 15 dollars from each for a total of 2 weeks of watering plants and mail collection :)

7. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: Re: do we have an understanding joel?

all you're getting is 15? i am getting 50 from my friend's mom, and that's just for about 5 days. but i have to feed her dogs and walk them...

8. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

50 dollars for walking the dogs for 5 days is pretty good shadowfax...by the way, when did you change the 'tar?

9. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Re: Re: Re: do we have an understanding joel?

When you <Are> 15 and you can't get a job anywhere, you will eat dirt for 15 dollars (30 dollars for both of the house total ). :p well maybe not literally :D

10. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

11. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

more precisely, you seem to have discovered the wonders of animated GIFs. my old tar seems to have a fan club that consists of me and wdlove, and god knows who else, so i put it back on there--with my current one.

12. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Heh

I just got my weeks pay. Im 14 yearrs old, my paycheck was 265 dollars! Woooo!

13. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: Heh

oh, blow it out your--i mean, congratulations, man, good for you ;)

14. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Re: Re: Heh

haha.

I have house sat before, mad boring...

15. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Heh. Quite the excellent reference. As for the housesitting, it's always insanely boring. Good luck with it, though. The pay is solid enough, and no one involved is a true stranger. Sounds like it'll be less boring than usual.

16. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

well, my parents left at 4 this morning, and the first thing i did was close all the vents in my sister's, brothers', and parents' rooms and shut their doors. then i cleaned up the rest of the house. i still need to vacuum the house and start my laundry for the week ahead, and then i am set. they think i am lazy, but really i just hate exerting myself to clean up something someone else is just going to screw up in a matter of hours (my borothers are 9 and 10 years old--that's a no brainer. my sister is 17, and i share a car with her. the bathroom is always hell, and my car always gets grass and crap in it the first time she takes it out after i vacuum it). some people!

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Re: Heh

That is trully awesome! When I was your age, thought was doing great when my grandfather would pay me $10.00 for cutting his grass. So I used to look forward to my summer visits. It usually took me a couple of days to cut the grass.

18. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

I'm still hoping I get my first paycheck before I run out of food...:(

19. evil macrumors 6502

when i was 17 my parents went away for a week.
    oh man i was all alone and it was the best ever. dont want to get into many specifics but lets just say i had a lot of fun.
    dont waste a nice opportunity. and i must say when my parents came back everything in the house was in order.
    it is possible to have a blast and not destroy anything.

20. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

I guess I didn't point this out, i don't actually have to stay at either of the houses :D Just visit either one every other day :)

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

So are you alternating which house you are staying in overnight? Maybe the one with the most food! :p

22. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

well, staying over is half the fun though man. i mean, really. where are you staying? your own house? both the houses i go to have wireless routers and broadband net, so i can take my tibook with me to both and be pretty much right at home :D

i went to defensive driving yesterday over a ticket i got on memorial day.... speeding, heh. it was rather interesting. my grandpajust got here to take me to that Dell Scholarship ceremony i mentioned. it's tomorrow, when i get to meet micheal dell.

23. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

yeah i am staying at my own house. we all have high speed internet <cable> so it doesnt really make sense to stay over. and seeing as only one of the people i am housesitting for <my friend> has a wireless netowrk, and i have no laptop, it doesnt make sense to go over there a lot :p

Wdlove,

I have gone wed, friday, and sunday so far. I only have to go wednesday and friday then i am done :)

<I was paid in advance....sweet>

24. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

advance payment is always the best... well, some would say that if the job is rough it can be rewarding to get it after you have done the work, supposedly heightening your sense of accomplishment... but for house sitting, advance payment is preferable. i suspect i may get it for house sitting for my friend, but my parents don't seem too keen on paying me for keeping the house. but they pay me for lawn mowing, so i guess it works out ok...

25. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

heh...let us know how it went. are you going to wear an apple t-shirt? ;) actually i'd be honored to meet him, even though I like apple better. :p