Home and End keys like Windows?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Eckels, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Eckels macrumors newbie

Dec 27, 2006
    I'm a mac newbie, and have got a quick question about the "home" and "end" keys.

This isn't so much a question about a specific application, but about macs in general.

In windows, the home key would bump you to the beginning of the line you're currently on, and the end key bumps you to the end of that line. I used this function all the time, especially when writing code, typing letters, whatever. I looked in keyboard/mouse settings but didn't see an option for this. I tried a few key combinations (shortcuts?) and couldn't figure out how to do it either.

It's a pretty simple function, is there any way that I can perform these functions on the mac keyboard?
  2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    fn + the left and right arrows works on my PowerBook.
  3. oceanmonster macrumors regular

Jan 15, 2007
    on my macbook it it the command key plus the left and right directional keys
  4. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

Oct 12, 2006
    Pasadena, CA
    It took me awhile to notice these keys as well. It is pretty clearly written right on the keys too!

On a normal Apple keyboard (non laptop) there are dedicated keys for these functions.
  5. oceanmonster macrumors regular

Jan 15, 2007
    yeah apple took those keys out to have a simpler keyboard on the macbooks and allow for a smaller keyboard size with larger keys
  6. micsaund macrumors 6502

May 31, 2004
    Colorado, USA
    So, on a similar note, how do I make the "home" and "end" keys on my USB 101-key keyboard act like what he's described? I use my Macbook at my desk with a full-sized keyboard, and the home/end keys are worthless with the default mapping.
  7. Eckels thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 27, 2006
    Ok, so what are they?
  8. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Home = Top of page
    End = End of page
    ⌘ + right arrow = End of line
    ⌘ + left arrow = Start of line.

Well, those are the commands on my iBook keyboard anyway.
  9. Eckels thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 27, 2006
  10. Curren~Sea macrumors regular

Jun 21, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    How about in Mail? What's the quickest key stroke to get to the top of all your messages? In Outlook it is the home key. In Mail, the best I have been able to do is go up one page at a time with the cmd page up key. Looking for a way to go to the very top of the message list (or bottom). Thanks.
  11. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

Jan 9, 2007
    Covington, WA, USA
    ⌘ + up arrow = beginning of document
    ⌘ + down arrow = end of document

Also works on web pages.
  12. Suture macrumors 6502a

Feb 22, 2007
    I will never get use to this.

I found a few sites with patches to download that allow the Home/End keys to be used as they are in PCs, but not a single one of them worked.
  13. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

Nov 21, 2005
    Command + arrow key jumps to the end of the line
    Option + arrow key jumps one word
    Option + delete deletes a whole word

Then for selecting stuff:
    Shift + arrow key highlights the next letter
    Shift + Option + arrow key highlights the next word
    Shift + Command + arrow key highlights the rest of the line