Home Automation

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by onemacmini, Oct 27, 2005.

1. onemacmini macrumors 6502

I have been reading up on a few of these and dont know if anyone can help me who has one.

1. the best home automation system
    2. is the x10 system any good
    3. what would i have to do to set it up
    4. will be plugged into a mac mini 1.42ghz 512ram bluetooth and airport

many thanks one mac mini

2. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

While I don't have much info to give you, home automation used to be a hobby for me. The best info I can say is if your budget can handle it get your house wired and build on that wiring. This allows you to buy with what your budget can afford and cheaply upgrade and add extra rooms.

This is of course assuming you are going on a good budget :)

IMO you should go to experts who a registered by a organisation that I can't remember at the moment :eek: These places will have experts who can come to your place, explain the options and cost. Install equipment that suits your needs and in terms listening style, viewing style etc. Just find a company.

Also here is a website, I haven't surfed it but I used to by magazines from them:

http://www.smarthome.com/

Also if you want more help from MR you are going to need to give more information on what you hope to accomplish, budget and etc. But like I said it will be best to get experts to tailor a system for you :)

3. macphisto macrumors regular

x10 has its share of problems. I would check out Control4 www.control4.com. They are an upcoming home automation company that is very very cool, and reasonably priced.

4. onemacmini thread starter macrumors 6502

what i need to really know is the basic sset up so i can.
    1. control mains lights
    2. control my bed light
    3. other appliances

what would be really helpful if someone could possibly give me a list as i have not 1 clue

5. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Yep for that system I would recommend getting your room wired and getting a controller for them. Like I said that kind of system requires the experts to come to your place to tailor the system for your budget and your home (installation). You won't regret hiring these guys as they do everything for you including the research.

6. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Definitely look into gettin Salling Clicker, a compatible phone, and Indigo. Then you can control your house from your phone (or palm). I have wanted to do that for a while, but lack the money (and a home that I own). But someday, I will.

7. Aliquis macrumors regular

Aliquis

That sounds awesome. Can anyone else add to this thread?

8. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

I'll give this one a bump...

I've been looking at Mac-based home automation solutions, as well. I like what I see with Indigo coupled with a security camera option like Security Spy and of course Apple's Front Row. With a touchscreen-equipped Mac Mini in every room, I suppose you could use Bonjour for a home intercom solution, as well.

9. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

10. dcv macrumors G3

I know of this website for home automation stuff. I'm not sure how competitive it is for pricing, but you might find it a useful resource for X10 information (amongst other things) and they seem to have a wide range of products on offer.