Home Bar - Help!

Discussion in 'Community' started by wPod, Feb 10, 2005.

1. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

I am going to be building a home bar soon, or rather apartment bar. i have gotten good ideas for form design from websites such as this one http://www.barplan.com/images/srbar0111042.jpg

i want it to look cool though. that link shows a good pic of the shape (though mine will only be 6feet instead of 8 like the pic.) but i want some good ideas for finishing it. i would love a dark wood finish, but the types of wood, like cherry, would be way to expensive. (I am a college student working about 10 hours a week so the cheaper the better!!!) that in mind i still want to to look somewhat decent, not unfinished wood!!! I am open to any ideas such as color or syle (a cool idea for a bar top is covering it with bottle caps!!!) it would be cool to get some brushed aluminum plates and go with the PowerBar(see the name has already been taken) but i think that would be too expensive (though i havent found large aluminim sheets to price off of) . . . maybe i could go all white with the iBar!

btw I will integrate my stereo/PB/airport express into the bar along with an external jack on the bar top so people can plug in their iPods!!!

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well for on thing, what kind of tools do you have at your disposal? If you have access to a tablesaw and maybe a surface planer and a jointer you could really do some nice work for cheap by buying (or even scoring from a reclaimed tree place) unsurfaced wood and cleaning it up yourself.

Are you planning to make this a permanant feature of the apartment, or are you taking it with you when you go?

Are you going to build cabinets into it? A keg-erator?

If you want to go super-cheap you could use hardwood-veneer plywood for the top and prefab beaded board for that front piece. You can get some iron-on edging to apply to the edges of the plywood where it is exposed rather than having to wrap the plywood with real wood.

What is your level of experience building things like this? If it's your first time, you are going to run into a lot of problems. You might even want to go as far as making a prototype out of some crappy wood first. Just put that one outside when you finish the real one.

3. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Made a killer, organically shaped bar for my last house. Most important feature is to make sure the top edge is significantly rounded (3/4" radius or so), as your arms will be resting on it. If you can support it well enough, a cement top may be an interesting route...

Attached Files:

4. wPod thread starter macrumors 68000

wPod

I have basic tools for cutting and sanding.

I will move the bar, hense the small size of 6' long.

I will, later. I will finish the basic design, but leave room for a keg-erator later when i have more money. And when I am off campus. Right now in my apt on campus kegs are NOT allowed. But next year when im off campus i can get one. I will worry about that later.

I do not know what iron-on edging is, but I was already planning the hardwood-veneer plywood sort of route. The only question is how do i finish the wood? do i go iBar (white) PowerBar(silver) or plain wood?

I am not a wood virgin. I survived shop class in high school as well as a number of projects I have helped with around the house. Again, the question is how do i finish the bar, what color what sort of finish? OR any other cool ideas? one such idea is I will have an audio jack to connect an iPod to so my friends can play their music (I will have a stereo 'integrated' into the bar for a full entertainment experience!!)

5. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Go with the wood and Marine Varnish. This is what they use at commercial bars. Super-strong, plastic-like coating. Like 98 coats of polyurethane.

6. wPod thread starter macrumors 68000

wPod

last saturday after a week of building and finishing i completed the bar. i decided to go with the mahogany finish and i think it looks pretty good. i want to get a nice brass foot rail now, but those are pretty pricy! i dont know if anyone will actually see this, but i didnt feel like starting another thread for this.

oh yeah, i need some decorations for my apt too!!! heh
    check out my website leaveapenny.net for more pics!

Attached Files:

7. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Nice Job!

I'm sure you'll put it to good use! - j

8. Davito macrumors member