Home Button very slow/unresponsive

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by joesegal76, Sep 2, 2008.

1. macrumors member

This has just started happening the last couple of days. The home button does not turn on my iphone, or will take about 5-7 seconds to respond. This does not occur everytime, but quite often. Is this something i should be concerned about? Anyone else have this issue?

2. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

When you have hardware/software issues with any device it would be incredibly useful and prudent on your part to give some specifics:
    Which iPhone model? (1st gen / 2nd gen)
    What software revision are you using?
    What are you doing when you press the home button? (are you in any one specific app)

Information like that is necessary.

3. thread starter macrumors member

Sorry about that:

Iphone 3G 16gb w/ 2.0.2 software.
    It happens when phone is in sleep mode, and i press the home button to wake up.

4. macrumors newbie

same problem

hi, ive found my iphone had the same problem and it has deteriorated over athe lat few days. i went into the apple store in the arndale centre in manchester to show it to a mac "genius" your getting the idea. His reply was that they made this model less responsive than the last model and that it was part of the design. Ive heard cheap market vendors selling shoddy goods use that line. Basically he refused to accept that it was faulty and the conversation to be frank was very rude. I then went to the carphone warehouse down the road and showed them the phone. They imeadiately accepted that there was a fault and that they would send it into to be repaired. i declined at that point because they could not give me a courtesy phone. Im glad im not the only one to have suffered the problem. I pointed out apples less that perfect record in quality control to the mac genius who derided it as well documented speculation. i know this is turning into a rant but that person at the genius bar in one session has seriously made me question my loyalty to apple. ive suffered a blown battery and a refusal to honour a 3 year warranty and all could have been avoided if he had not chosen to be so arrogant.

anywho. ill let you know how i get on, could be a common complaint?

5. macrumors newbie

6. macrumors newbie

Take it back

I had same problem. Took to an apple store and the genius played with it for 1 minute - walked out with a new phone. Its a phone problem

7. macrumors newbie

thats what i thought

after id spoke to the technician on the phone i thought it would have been a straight swap. instead i got an arrogant genius more interested in saving face

8. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^^^ Call again or just go in if you can. Google the issue and you'll see others reported it and reported they were given replacements.
    If it were a 1st gen phone I would say it is because the 2.0x software clearly wasn't meant for the phone. I have the 1st gen and I can say that's the case. (imho)

9. macrumors newbie

ok

im going to go to a local carephone warehouse tomorrow as the apple store i went to today seems to have become more agressive. and the carephone warehouse is closer and did offer to take it in for repair

10. macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.0.2 JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

You're far too accommodating. I'd take it back to the 'genius' along with a stopwatch and compare it with the phones they have in the store. I would not leave without a new phone.

But hey, that's just me. ;)

11. macrumors regular

Mine does this as well. A little annoying.

8GB/3G

12. macrumors 6502

Happens to me sometimes too. I usually try to turn the phone off at least once a day.

13. macrumors newbie

ungroup buttons

my ipod home was sluggish after grouping some of the preinstalled apps i don't use. i just ungrouped them, and it went back to fast.

my guess is it has something to do with how the apps appear causing alot of overhead.