Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I have a home DVD of daughter's dance, its at 720x576, but running it through a few conversions using iVi Pro and Handbrake it outputs at 704x400 for some reason.

This is no good, as then watching the resulting mp4 file, a portion is cut off on the top/bottom.

Why is it doing this? is there anything I can do? I want to convert it to mp4 for safe keeping as the DVD will get lost/scratched, and all my home vids are stored in iCloud Photo library as well.

thanks

Last edited:

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Is the viewer you are using to watch the video set to crop (in its preferences) ?
I'm not trying to view, I'm trying to convert the DVD to a mp4 file.

If I play it on the app DVD player on my iMac it shows at 720X576 though in the get info box

Last edited:

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Whenever I see 576, I immediately think of PAL (which is the European analog tv standard). The US uses NTSC.

Perhaps your footage is in PAL (which the Mac/PC should be able to play fine), but you're settings in Handbrake/iVi are set at NTSC.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Sorry, I don't know anything about iVi Pro. But Handbrake will let you control the picture size. As a default, it tries to automatically set the size and my experience is that this doesn't always work so well. If there are dark edges in parts of the video, it may crop them out of the picture.

I found one simple thing that can help, go to the advanced preferences and set the number of picture previews to the maximum (60). I *think* Handbrake uses these previews to determine the default size, so examining more stills can prevent it from cropping out parts that you want.

But probably you'll need to go into the Picture settings and manually make some changes. Un-check "keep aspect ratio", set anamorphic to "none" and enter 576 x 720 in the height/width boxes. Also set cropping to custom and enter zeroes for everything. Now use the preview button to see if it looks right. If so, go ahead and encode.

I find this dialog rather confusing and counter-intuitive, but with a little trial and error I can usually get the results I want. :)

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I'm not trying to view, I'm trying to convert the DVD to a mp4 file.

If I play it on the app DVD player on my iMac it shows at 720X576 though in the get info box
Sorry I thought you were saying that when you view the video you see it cropped, and you'd rather see letterbox.. which may be a viewer preference thing.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
tried Handbrake and still, although detects the correct input, still outputs at the same wrong resolution, even when I manually set the output! so strange and frustrating...

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Did you specifically do these things I suggested?

Un-check "keep aspect ratio", set anamorphic to "none"

Does it show the full picture in the Handbrake preview?
well I did (or thought I did), the first time, didn't work same problem. Went back on today, did what you said, went to custom, set to 0, put anamorphic to strict, and this time it worked! kept the correct resolution! at last

thanks

Reactions: Boyd01

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Great! :cool: As I said before, "I find this dialog rather confusing and counter-intuitive". I often have to mess around a bit to get things right too. And when I find settings that work for a certain type of video, I usually take a screenshot of the picture settings window for future reference.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Great! :cool: As I said before, "I find this dialog rather confusing and counter-intuitive". I often have to mess around a bit to get things right too. And when I find settings that work for a certain type of video, I usually take a screenshot of the picture settings window for future reference.

Thanks for your help, although used HB before always just used the presets.

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.