Home File Server Help- Please Help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DMPDX, May 29, 2006.

1. DMPDX macrumors 6502

Hey everyone,
    I need some advise. My house is wired with cat5 in every room. And we have a computer in almost every room. The router and modem are all in a centtral box in the basement. What I want to do is put some sort of computer hor file server there that will be accessable to all the computers on my network. Something to put files on and music that I can reach form the different computers. I was thinking about possibly buying an old cube to put down there. Would that be the thing to do? And does the cube use a 3.5" HDD? Cause I have a bunch of old E-IDE drives latying around (120-160gb) Or what would another option be? Anyhelp would be appriciated.
    -dsm

2. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

A better idea might be an old blue and white so you could throw in a few harddrives, as cubes can get fairly expensive.

3. pna macrumors 6502

I'll second this. These things are perfect for what you're talking about, just throw the hard drives you have in USB2 enclosures, plug them in to this tiny little server, and put them in some room where you don't mind hearing hard drives whirring. They get shared as samba shares, but if you're adventurous, you can hack it to allow it to share via nfs, act as an itunes rendezvous server, etc.

You should be able to find them for about $70 or so. Well worth it.

4. 9Charms macrumors regular

9Charms

5. DMPDX thread starter macrumors 6502

Tha looks like a very good solution. i always thought that the NAS drives were around 3-4-500 dollars.
    That looks just as good. Depending on what I see I may go for this one. Except the lynksys appears to be much cheaper (~20-30$)

Thanks for all the fast replies.
    -dsm

6. 9Charms macrumors regular

9Charms

I'd be interested to know what you find after you do the research. Please post back here after you've implemented.

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It's cheaper 'coz it's not a drive, you still have to supply the drives and USB enclosures.

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Which, apparently, need to be reformatted for use, so you can't just plug them in and use the data already on them (going by reviews on Amazon.com, so don't consider this to be definitive).

9. DMPDX thread starter macrumors 6502

I htought that the whole thing was a usb or firewire or network enclosure and then you supplied the drive. What usb enclosure are you talking bbout?
    -dsm

10. Nate4747 macrumors regular

I'm using an old Quicksilver for just this purpose. It has gigabit ethernet and is stuffed full of drives. It works great, although it is loud and a power hog. Most of the technology is built into OS X under the 'Sharing' preference pane. You can do almost everything you are asking through that straightforward pref pane.