Home folder files appear to be gone!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wPod, Oct 25, 2005.

1. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

This is a rather interesting problem. I just got my roommate to switch to mac, and he got a new PB. I am helping him copy his documents over. We first copied them to a server then I copied his "my documents" folder to his PB. I was going to show him the folders to put everything in, and when i opened his home folder there were no folders in it!!!! I looked in terminal and the files appear in terminal but they dont show up in finder!? all the folders like 'documents' 'music' 'movies' and such. and even when you open the hard drive in finder, nothing comes up. it shows no folders but there quite obviously is data on the HD, all of his applications work. Is there some sort of setting that caused all of his folders to be hidden? I dont know, it seems weird.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

This happened to me once. Repaired the permissions and restarted and it was okay. Hopefully it's just as easy for you. :)

3. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Repair permissions. That's what ya need to do. I've had this happen with mine old iBook with Panther. I like installed something, copied files over and it would not see them. I had to repair permissions which it fixed quite a lot before I could see my files again.

4. wPod thread starter macrumors 68000

wPod

i restarted the guys computer and it worked fine. was kinda odd. .. i dont know why the permissions would have to be repaired, the computer is like 2 days old!!! but ill tell him to do that cause he just copied like 7 GB of data from his old computer (windows machine).

5. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

Wow, that's so weird. Anyone know why this happens?

6. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Think about it like this, you run a bunch of programs, copy over lots of data and basically just fill up your RAM without dumping/flushing it (strange I put it in that order, but oh well). Your computer bogs down and doesn't have the required RAM to process a display of files and folders. So it just doesn't show them.

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The Finder is dumb as rocks. This makes it slightly less dumb (well, at least it gives you a way to slap it upside the head when it gets goofy).