Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
I know there are some iOS and OS X home inventory apps which are all about receipts, snapshots, etc. They are great for insurance purposes and I wouldn't mind if that is part of it, but what I am really looking for is something that helps you with organization. As we try to get the basement and garage of our house organized and put a lot of stuff in bins and closets, I want to catalog as much as I can for reference when I want to find something. Obviously many bins will be labeled, etc, but being able to type an item into software to get its location would be key.

If anyone can recommend some software, desktop, iOS, doesn't matter to track stuff, focusing more on where it is than how much you paid, snapshots, receipts, that would be great. If it is for insurance that is fine as long as I can easily search it for location.

Thanks for any feedback.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I disagree. That thread doesn't give enough. I recall one but still searching. Standby op.
You disagree with what? I just posted a relevant link. I didn't comment on it. I, too, remember another thread on this, but can't locate it just now.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
I tried Bento when it first came out and didn't like it but that was 1.0 and since then it has received good reviews. I think I have heard of Compartments so I will look at that and maybe try Bento again. Does Apple offer an iWork trial other than with new machines? Desktop to iPad syncing certainly would be a bonus.

Thanks. Let me know if you think of anything else.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
This thread is great, I have been keeping my own inventory for a long time but some software would really help out. I think I'll try out that Numbers template, I've seen it before but it looked too much like insurance stuff. I don't have insurance, because I don't own a home, but I'll give it a try.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
I looked at Compartments, but didn't even download a trial. It just looks wrong.

I also looked again at Bento. Sorry, but while the whole iPad/iPhone version and wireless syncing is a huge plus, the software leaves way too much to be desired.

All of this points to photos, and insurance. I want organization. If I put a bunch of bins in the garage and basement, I want to know what is in them by bin and be able to search and item and get location. Same with closets, the home office, etc. Big things, little things so I can avoid spending an hour looking for something I cleverly put too away. How much I spent on it and what it looks like are not important components to that. I know where my computer and TV are. Same with my bike, etc. These are two different classes of goods.

And as for Numbers, it just seems like way too much formatting, and no UI. I'd just be creating my own special spreadsheet. You almost would need to build a database, with item, location, and sub-location, and a form to search for that item and return the two location fields. Likewise you would want to see everything in a sub-location. Etc.

You would think someone would have written software like this.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I looked at Compartments, but didn't even download a trial. It just looks wrong.

I also looked again at Bento. Sorry, but while the whole iPad/iPhone version and wireless syncing is a huge plus, the software leaves way too much to be desired.

All of this points to photos, and insurance. I want organization. If I put a bunch of bins in the garage and basement, I want to know what is in them by bin and be able to search and item and get location. Same with closets, the home office, etc. Big things, little things so I can avoid spending an hour looking for something I cleverly put too away. How much I spent on it and what it looks like are not important components to that. I know where my computer and TV are. Same with my bike, etc. These are two different classes of goods.

And as for Numbers, it just seems like way too much formatting, and no UI. I'd just be creating my own special spreadsheet. You almost would need to build a database, with item, location, and sub-location, and a form to search for that item and return the two location fields. Likewise you would want to see everything in a sub-location. Etc.
Most people dismiss Bento because it is a "flat-file" database rather than a relational database like FileMaker Pro. But I'm not inclined to address generic criticisms like "leave way too much to be desired".

Tools like offline wikis and structured data tools like EverNote can also serve that purpose.

You would think someone would have written software like this.
No, I wouldn't. As a software developer myself, I know that there is no market for implementing a particular person's approach to "home inventory". The more general-purpose the app is, the greater the potential audience. Adding specific approaches to home inventory require additional development resource and can compromise the usability of the application.

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
I want organization. If I put a bunch of bins in the garage and basement, I want to know what is in them by bin and be able to search and item and get location. Same with closets, the home office, etc. Big things, little things so I can avoid spending an hour looking for something I cleverly put too away.

I don't know why you discount Bento so quick, organizing is what it does so well. You can start with the Inventory form that comes with it or start from scratch and build your own. Add a Location Field to the form and as many Sub Locations as you need. Then you can search by Item name, Location or Sub Locations to find any item you want just about as fast as you can type.

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
Any one try Home Inventory app in app store? looks neat but I would like some reviews before I plunk down $10 for it :)

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
Any one try Home Inventory app in app store? looks neat but I would like some reviews before I plunk down $10 for it :)

I haven't tried it but I'm like you, it looks very good but I want some feedback first. I still am looking for an easy home inventory, even some other cheap suggestions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.