Home Made DVDs and Professional

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Phood, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Phood macrumors newbie

When your burn your own DVDs, how come it only holds 120 minutes, yet retail movie DVDs hold numerous hours worth? Don't DVDs commercially made use MPEG-2 also???

2. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Home Made DVDs and Professional

Most commercial discs are dual layer and or double sided. You can buy these. I don't know if the SuperDrive is compatible with dual layer though. I do know that you can burn double sided though.

Each layer or side is capable of holding 4.7gigs so a dual layer double sided would be able to hold 18.8gigs.

3. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: Home Made DVDs and Professional

As MacBandit said..

Commercial DVD's can be dual-layer - which provides twice as much information.

The SuperDrive does NOT support dual layer... nor do any consumer drives. In fact, from my understanding dual layer DVD's are physically created from two seperate surfaces than in one "burning" session (so to speak)... so it may be technically impossible or impracticle to have a consumer drive that can create dual layer discs.

arn

4. Glossybear macrumors member

Professional DVD authors also have access to WAY better encoding processes...

They can compress the video further while still maintaining a higher quality...

5. Phood thread starter macrumors newbie

Question #2

So then even if I was able to rip my DVD (Of course I already own it) I would not be able to burn it on to my own DVD?

6. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

Re: Re: Home Made DVDs and Professional

Actually arn, doesn't DVDSP 1.5 offer an option to use DVDs that hold 8.54GB, now itsn't that perfectly a dual layer disk, becuase if you turn that into a dual sided disk then it would be DVDs 17GB max. So maybe DVDSP can read dual layer disks but not dual sided disks, and if DVDSP can read these disks then why wouldn't apple's superdrive not be able to burn these 8.5 GB DVD-9 disks.

tyler