Home media setup

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by rayjay86, May 26, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

Hi
    Not sure what section this was supposed to go in so forgive me.

I've dabbled with the idea of an ATV or Roku with a NAS etc. and in the end it boiled down to budget. What I'm thinking of doing now is just having a cheap netbook for about $150 that I have permanently connected to my TV via HDMI and have my 2TB HDD connected to that. I'll have Plex running on the netbook and will be able to watch stuff from the HDD on the TV through the Plex app.

Does anyone know if something like that will work? I can set up the netbook to be on the local network so that I can wirelessly put files on the HDD when I need to (new tv shows, etc.) and then I dont have to both with connecting and disconnecting the computer from the TV whenever I want to watch something.

Just want to know if that will work and if so what specs roughly will I need as a minimum on a netbook?

2. macrumors demi-god

As long as your netbook can handle outputting the video to your TV, there is no reason why it shouldn't work.

Good luck

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!

Any idea on what kind of specs on a cheap netbook I would need? As long as it had HDMI? What kind of video card would it need?

4. macrumors demi-god

Something like this:

Here

Or anything with a decent graphic card. A used mac mini from between 2010 till now would be awesome but more expensive. And it does look good as an HTPC

5. macrumors 68000

Outrigger

it would be extremely inconvenient to get up and walk to TV every time you want to change/RW/Pause/FF.

6. macrumors demi-god

Gav2k

Op you would be better off grabbing a roku3 and a USB hdd.

7. macrumors 65816

Santabean2000

Not sure why you'd choose a netbook. There are cheaper options if that's the main concern, eg as suggested Roku + HDD.

I have a (headless) mini running 24/7, plus ATVs connected to the TV sets. My iPhone is my remote and any other (Mac) computer can be used to administer the mini as/when required.

A little more expensive, but flawless! #