Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2002
downtown
Hey guys,
I've got an idea and I was wondering if anyone has experience with it or an idea of how hard it would be to do.

I just bought a house and with all the remodeling and stuff we're doing.. I think I'm going to start a small website to chronicle everything. It was built in 1900 and a lot fo the stuff we're finding, inside walls, written on the backs of cabinets, in crawl spaces... is just neat and we've been learning so much... plus my family is 3 hours away so they're not getting to see much of what we're doing.

I think it'd be cool to do some webcam stuff, in the kitchen, on the front / back porch, in the billiard room.... does anyone have experience with setting up multiple streaming webcams? Is there a PHP that will perhaps handle the feed for me? Any direction on software.... mac or pc?

I'd also like to be able to look in on the house while we're both at work... so that's part of the reason for the topic title. :)

Thanks.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2002
downtown
By the way, I'm not new to websites in general.. just webcam stuff. That's all I really need help on.

:)

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2002
downtown
Wow.. that looks like exactly what I need. I'll give it a shot... just need to find some cameras.

:)

Thanks guys.

XNine

macrumors 68040
This was an awesome post. Thanks for the software recommendenations.

I'd liek to do this too, but I wonder, can your webcam detect motion (not of a dog, but human) then start the computer up and record from there.

Storing the data ona seperate server would be great for security purposes as well.

Hmmm.

camomac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
Left Coast
does anybody know if this works with multiple isights?

i was thinking of having a security setup, where if something moves within the picture setup by the camera, it would begin emailing me those images. i use to have something simular hooked up to my old peecee and three 3com cameras. it was pretty neat.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2002
downtown
According to the website it does support multiple cameras (isights) and motion detection.

Very cool.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
this sounds great! please keep this thread updated, i'd really like to see this in action if you follow it through. i'm a big fan of neat old house stuff, and seeing the technology in action would be very cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.