Home Network

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mac77bear, Dec 14, 2004.

1. mac77bear macrumors newbie

Ok, first of all take it easy on me I am new to a lot of this stuff. I am trying to set up a home network. Right now I am on running on the old airport and a powerbook G4 with the old airport card and my a IBM PC with a Lynsis(I know I spelt that wrong) Wireless Card. We have a have cable modem from Comcast. Ok so this solution works fine but I am redoing my house and have run cat 5 cable to every room, for resale purposes. Also wouldn't mind just being able to plug and computer in, in any room and be on the network. So here is my dilema, our cable comes in, in the basement. So I have the cable modem there. I have some cat5 pluged into that and run upstairs to an outlet and then plug the airport into that. I have three rooms wired with cat5 on the 1st floor that go to the basement, however only one is hooked up to the cable modem. Now i also have one line that runs to the attic which is connected to nothing right now. From the attic I have cat5 run to the three rooms on the 2nd floor. Now is there someway to hook all these up to the cable modem. I know like with a phone line you can link them all together in a junction box or something like that. How do you do it with cat5 and networks. Could I plug one router in the cable modem in the basement to supply the 4 lines down there and then put one router in the attic to supply the 3 lines up there. Also the line from the basement to the attic would go from one router to another. So my question is this possible to use 2 routers or is there a much simpler way of doing this. Any help any of you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

You need a simple CAT-5 hub or switch with an uplink port. These can be found at Best Buy or the like for around $25. You cannot simply splice CAT-5 together because each cable carries a unique signal to each client (computer).

3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Well since you already have the router, and are looking to feed a bunch of ports, I would suggest looking into something like a 16+ port switch, instead of "daisy" chaining cheap consumer hubs.

Heres just one I found that is decent - Figured Gigabit is your best bet for your internal network.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=674864