home networking 102

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by yippy, Dec 29, 2004.

1. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

This is a question that I think shouldn't be to hard to answer, but I can't get get it to work properly. Sorry if it is long or confusing.

I have 2 routers. A 4-port Linksys (BEFSR41) and a US Robotics wireless (USR8054). What I am trying to do is have the wireless router act as just a hub I guess. Basicaly, I want the Linksys to be connected to my cable modem (done) and then have the wireless router connected to wired one, but in a different part of the house (to optimize wireless coverage). I can do this with almost no configuration.

Here is the problem. I can't easly connect between computers that are connected to separate routers. So I don't want the wireless router to assigne IP address, just create the wireless access. The DHCP I want to be left to the Linksys.

How do I get the wireless router to act as a hub instead of a router, and not distribute the IP addresses?

Thanks

2. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

I have absolutely no idea, but...

If you only have Macs, & they're running OS X try accessing them with the machine names:

your-machine-name.local

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Try just turning off dhcp on the router that you want to be a "hub"

4. yippy thread starter macrumors 68020

yippy

I tried that, then I never get an IP address and can't connect.

After searching through the settings/manuals and internet, I think what I need to do is use a feature called RIP 1 or 2. However, I cannot find any clear enough guides as to how to use it. Anyone know?

Thanks

5. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

Set the TX and RX to RIP1 and disable DHCP on the wireless router

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

I believe you should be able to set the wireless router to simply be in "gateway" mode. That's how it worked when I had two Linksys routers connected (wired and wireless). It eventually became too much trouble and I set the wired router to the side and just used the wireless 4-port router and all was easy. You may want to do the same, since your USR8054 has 4 wired ports.

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You should have bought a wireless access point...

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

Always the pragmatic one...

If I hadn't been able to buy the wireless router for the price of an access point (after all the rebates, etc.), I would have. But I figured I might want to subnet my wireless network, blah blah blah. Right.